Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Britain could learn something from the taliban
Britain could learn something from the taliban
As some of you may be aware, my hometown of Doncaster elected the first ever English Democrat as mayor, Peter Davies; a nationalist, homophobe, racist and all-round strange guy.

For context: "His controversial policies – including banning the word 'diversity' from council papers and cutting funding for Black History Month and Doncaster's annual Gay Pride event – have split opinion in the South Yorkshire town."

Newspaper article

Peter Davies Wrote:"The one thing to be said about the Taliban is that they do have an ordered society of some sort and that they don't have hundreds of cases of children under threat of abuse from violent parents, as we have in Doncaster."

What do you think? Could the English people learn an imporant lesson about family values from the totalitarian tyranny of the taliban?
RE: Britain could learn something from the taliban
I'm in favour of cutting money (completely) from things like Black History Month and Gay Pride events, but I suspect not for the reasons Mr Davies did so. I don't think the government should be involved in any way with any events, and that includes St George's Day, Christmas, Easter, you name it.

If people can't support these events themselves, I see no reason why the government should waste tax dollars on them.

Getting back to the point, I further suspect that the only reason the Taliban don't have hundreds of child abuse cases is because there is no mechanism for which a child can report such abuse and feel safe. We have hundreds of charities and the social services that will guarantee a child protection.
(September 5, 2009 at 9:43 am)Tiberius Wrote: If people can't support these events themselves, I see no reason why the government should waste tax dollars on them.

Do you not think it difficult for minority groups to support big events like these? If we don't pitch in to help their voices be heard, they'll continue to be a persecuted minority with very little say. Mr Davies shortly after his election stated "I don't believe tax-payers' money should go to funding any skin colour or sexual preference". Easy for him to say when he's white and straight Dodgy
Perhaps to reach a fair compromise, a certain smaller fixed amount should be set aside for the support of these events but for more funding, the organizers should gather the support of like-minded individuals and maybe do fund-raisers or something to that extent.

This way the government still lends a hand but doesn't spoon feed either. Smile
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
(September 6, 2009 at 8:28 am)LukeMC Wrote: Do you not think it difficult for minority groups to support big events like these? If we don't pitch in to help their voices be heard, they'll continue to be a persecuted minority with very little say.

Well then, I'd like some funding for an Aryan history month, ahhh what the hell, a month for every race classification out there, a beastiality pride day parade, masterbation month, an annual anal sex day parade. How about a funded celebration day for every religious group? Christian day, Muslim day, Thor day, Shiva day, universalist day, etc. ect.

Just so none of these groups of people can be a persecuted minority with very little say.

Really don't think there is enough days in the year to accomidate every 'group' of people out there. Some will have to double up and share a day. Like maybe the christains and the homos can have a day together.

What a train wreck of an idea. Let's fund an activity of a specific group so they won't feel like persecuted minority. To be fair, you'd have to fund them all. Every frickin crack-pot group with an "persecuted minority" complex.

There exists not an eyeroll emoticon with an eyeroll big enough to convey my distain over the idea that the gummit should fund my group activity because I'm different.

If YOU want to 'pitch in' then YOU pitch in.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(September 6, 2009 at 8:28 am)LukeMC Wrote: Do you not think it difficult for minority groups to support big events like these? If we don't pitch in to help their voices be heard, they'll continue to be a persecuted minority with very little say. Mr Davies shortly after his election stated "I don't believe tax-payers' money should go to funding any skin colour or sexual preference". Easy for him to say when he's white and straight Dodgy
Dotard already pretty much covered why this is a bad idea, but I'd just like to also comment. The government does not need to promote minorities, or any majority for that matter. If a minority wants to say something, they should say it. If they want to hold a massive event, they should pay for it. If they can't get private funding for it through charity, it tells me one thing: not many people want the event to go on. If not many people want the event to go on, I see no reason why the government should go against their wishes.

In short, if an event cannot be funded through private donations, it doesn't show much public interest in the event at all, and if there isn't much public interest, I fail to see why it should be an issue for the state to fund. Double edged sword I'm afraid.

Echoing Dotard's words, "If YOU want to 'pitch in' then YOU pitch in." Simple as that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Something to watch for (or avoid) The Valkyrie 24 2271 October 4, 2023 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Something to think about .... scamper 16 1638 November 13, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A hint at something deeper Ahriman 0 213 October 5, 2022 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Learn the true mersey Angrboda 7 475 March 18, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Something for nothing onlinebiker 92 4815 September 14, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The really real Something For Nothing no one 1 397 September 12, 2021 at 5:50 pm
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2062 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  The Taliban are morons and Muhammad was a schizophrenic pedophile. Jehanne 13 995 August 16, 2021 at 3:00 pm
  What did you learn to do because of the pandemic? arewethereyet 31 2183 June 27, 2021 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Pizza, just bit the bullet, trying something new. Brian37 19 1339 June 14, 2021 at 11:58 am
Last Post: brewer