Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did you learn to do because of the pandemic?
What did you learn to do because of the pandemic?
Since we have all been grounded for months and months, what have you learned to do or done differently?

I have twice now attempted grooming my three dogs.  I had always been the one to bathe them but I bought a grooming table and clippers and have done a passable job though some areas need refining.  This wasn't totally due to the pandemic as our groomer was incapacitated due to an auto accident.

I started shopping for groceries online.  There have been a couple hiccups along the way but overall I like it and will probably continue grocery shopping this way as I always saw it as a hated chore.

So far, I am not desperate enough to try to cut my own hair.  I have had my hair cut once since the December before all this started.  Luckily, I am used to my hair being long...it's just a little ragged and could use a professional trim.

Sewing masks led to making quilts and now I am making quilted placemats.  But that's more a hobby than a necessity. 

What have you done?  What did you start doing because you were home anyway and had the time?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

RE: What did you learn to do because of the pandemic?
Avoid people, not constantly touch my face, hoard, obsess about home improvements (or correcting neglect), cut my own hair.

Installing a new shower door is next on the list, should arrive in July. I tried decrusting the current one but after 10 years of neglect it only lead to frustration.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Not a lot, really. I work from home, so other than social stuff (going out for the evening, having people in, etc), the lockdown didn’t have a huge impact.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
At work.

Keep my mouth shut and opinions to myself around ignorant/stupid/arrogant feksickles.

Coffee
(June 14, 2021 at 3:18 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: At work.

Keep my mouth shut and opinions to myself around ignorant/stupid/arrogant feksickles.

Coffee

Well done! Few life skills are more important.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Not to touch my face until after my hands have been washed. And that people on the whole are a lot more asshole-ish than I had previously given them credit for.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I learned to distrust other people's willingness to do the right thing.
Learned how to make masks, which gave my sewing skills a boost.

Got very good at doing the full hospital-style hand scrubbing routine.

Developed the habit of "batching" shopping tasks and working from a carefully curated list, which gave me even more free time because I wasn't jumping in the car and driving off to the store every day.
Okay, you guys (except for brewer) not exactly what I had in mind...I was trying to look on the bright side...work with me ya bunch o' pessimists.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I learned always working from home gets old.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1006 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Did you know? Ryn 2 314 July 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: weaponoffreedom
  Learn the true mersey Angrboda 7 463 March 18, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 669 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What Hobbies Did You Have As A Kid? BrianSoddingBoru4 51 2160 November 11, 2021 at 7:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  What job(s) did you have as a kid? arewethereyet 25 2083 April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Sal
  Pandemic survival diary. Gawdzilla Sama 85 3392 March 23, 2020 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Because I love cheese Losty 116 8230 November 27, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Did you "spring forward"? Gawdzilla Sama 44 2670 November 5, 2018 at 10:19 am
  I did it and you should too. Brian37 41 3919 August 25, 2018 at 7:24 pm