Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For good people to do bad things...
For good people to do bad things...
Adrian on more than one occasion has referenced this quote attributed to Steven Weinberg: "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things. But for good people to do bad things, it takes religion."

In the context set forth by this quote, could someone explain how it takes religion "for good people to do bad things"? That is to say, explain a good person doing bad things. Before I rip that quote to shreds on my blog, I want to ensure I have understood it properly. So, people, weigh in with your thoughts and I'll use them to evaluate whether or not I have understood Weinberg correctly.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
RE: For good people to do bad things...
Recently there was a case of a father who allowed his daughter to die on the floor whilst praying for her rather then phone for an ambulance and get her the medical treatment that would have saved her life.

No doubt he was in essence a good man who thought that he was doing the right thing but it's pretty clear that without religion his daughter would still be alive.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
In my personal opinion, it doesn't "take religion for good people to do bad things" but it hasn't prevented the good from doing bad either. (See Darwinian's example above)

Religion has assisted with many conflicts in the past, but again, it doesn't necessarily "take religion for good people to do bad things".
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
And I'm sure the 9/11 bombers considered themselves good and holy men as did the 7/7 bombers.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
The quote is about modern religion making people do terrible things despite them being "good" people. For instance, the 9/11 hijackers were probably "good" people, wanting to do the best for their family; some of them probably had children and loved them dearly. They flew planes of people into towers because they were taught that they would get a reward in the afterlife.

So whilst the Weinberg quote is an attack on religion itself, it is true that to get good people to do bad things, you need to delude them into a state where they will do anything for a reward. Take the Charles Manson murders; his followers would do anything he said because they almost worshipped him; it's all about delusion.

Anyway, what is your blog Arcanus? Care to share?
Don't forget the crusades! Everyone's acting in the name of their respective Gods.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
(September 5, 2009 at 2:35 pm)Arcanus Wrote: Adrian on more than one occasion has referenced this quote attributed to Steven Weinberg: "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things. But for good people to do bad things, it takes religion."

In the context set forth by this quote, could someone explain how it takes religion "for good people to do bad things"? That is to say, explain a good person doing bad things. Before I rip that quote to shreds on my blog, I want to ensure I have understood it properly. So, people, weigh in with your thoughts and I'll use them to evaluate whether or not I have understood Weinberg correctly.

Arcanus, not that I think you will completely understand this, for your mindset is set forth through the religion that Steven Weinberg was referring to.
However, I will try and give you a little bit of backing to the phrase and hopefully you will understand it's meaning.

For starters, the quote is not poking at the religious or trying to make fun in any type way. It is in reference to how one feels through actions of guilt and self discipline while clinging onto a faith which so many personal questions can arise no matter the mindset.

Guilt in a form of repercussions of an afterlife or karma superstition.
Self discipline through actions and thought, in which the religion speaks of free-will, but in actuality it's more of a circumstantial will.
And personal questions from which hope, unknowing, and fear can drive someone's mindset to question certain responsibilities as a right or wrong scenario, instead of a needed action.

In saying this, I am not adding every religious person under this breakdown. The example was for a good person doing something bad and a religion definitely can stand up top for the ignorant.
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
(September 5, 2009 at 2:49 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Anyway, what is your blog Arcanus? Care to share?

He's always linked it in his profile (visit the www link)
(September 5, 2009 at 2:49 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Anyway, what is your blog Arcanus? Care to share?

What Frodo said. It's been linked since, I think, the day I registered here.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
Quote:could someone explain how it takes religion "for good people to do bad things"?

Quote:http://news.scotsman.com/world/Eloping--...5169919.jp

Quote:A YOUNG couple have been executed for trying to elope, by being shot with AK-47s by a Taleban firing squad in front of a crowd, it emerged yesterday.
The woman, Gul Pecha, 19, and the man, Abdul Aziz, 21, had been accused by the militants in south-western Afghanistan of immoral acts, and a council of conservative clerics decided they should be killed on Monday, officials said.

And, before you protest that these are not "good" people, remember that they think they are VERY GOOD because they are doing what their fucking god wants them to do.

Just the way your fucking xtian god wanted heretics killed by the Inquisition.

It takes an atheist to understand that anyone who kills someone because of a non-existent god is totally fucked up. You god-types can never see that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1080 75540 April 24, 2024 at 7:01 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Bad News For Fundie Assholes Minimalist 11 1941 August 9, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20841 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Bad Religion: How Trump is warping Christianity for his own gain. Foxaèr 4 1047 February 6, 2017 at 4:47 am
Last Post: GUBU
  How do religions inspire people to be good? robvalue 24 2865 January 17, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Unaffiliated/irreligious people isn't evidence of anything good TheMessiah 13 3797 June 14, 2015 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Video First Church of Cannabis (Good or Bad?) Mental Outlaw 10 1979 June 6, 2015 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Nope
  Salon link about bad religious ideas. Brian37 1 980 January 26, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Why is religion bad? CapnAwesome 22 3483 August 18, 2014 at 3:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is killing a Pastor always a bad thing? Mystical 85 22886 November 9, 2013 at 8:51 am
Last Post: T.J.