Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 11:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silly things you misunderstood about religion as a child
Silly things you misunderstood about religion as a child
I don't mean things you find ridiculous as an atheist (assuming you are), but just things that were kind of silly 'childlike' beliefs, like how kids think if you have a credit card you have unlimited  money (some adults still think this.)  I think a child's view of religion can be very enlightening (as well as entertaining) 

For instance, my husband told me that when he was a kid that he thought God, The lord, and Jesus were three separate people, and that Santa and God hung out in heaven.

Or like how I believed that God told Noah to build the ark because it was going to rain a lot, and not because he was punishing people.

After one of our daughters heard about the devil for the first time when she was about 3 years old, she took a shovel and started digging, planning on 'defeating the devil with a squirt gun'. 

So did you have any misunderstandings about your religion growing up (assuming you grew up with religion)?
RE: Silly things you misunderstood about religion as a child
(September 14, 2015 at 1:12 am)Cecelia Wrote: I don't mean things you find ridiculous as an atheist (assuming you are), but just things that were kind of silly 'childlike' beliefs, like how kids think if you have a credit card you have unlimited  money (some adults still think this.)  I think a child's view of religion can be very enlightening (as well as entertaining) 

For instance, my husband told me that when he was a kid that he thought God, The lord, and Jesus were three separate people, and that Santa and God hung out in heaven.

Or like how I believed that God told Noah to build the ark because it was going to rain a lot, and not because he was punishing people.

After one of our daughters heard about the devil for the first time when she was about 3 years old, she took a shovel and started digging, planning on 'defeating the devil with a squirt gun'. 

So did you have any misunderstandings about your religion growing up (assuming you grew up with religion)?

the way our church was built,
behind the pulpit was the choir loft...a series of carpeted tiers ascending,
and at the top, behind the choir, was a white wall,
with a big, backlit, black cross hanging upon it.

When I was a kid, I always thought that you had to climb the choir loft to get to heaven.
I thought that Jesus literally lived in my heart when I was about 5 or 6.

[Image: zj3liAK.jpg]
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
When I was in my single digit years, I believed in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I always dreamed of when I became an adult, and I could fly on an airplane, I'd be able to fly to get close enough to the rainbow, and make my way on foot to the end, and claim my prize.

Cut me some slack, I was probably 7, and it's not as crazy as what some of the adult christians believe on here.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
(September 14, 2015 at 1:56 am)Starvald Demelain Wrote: I thought that Jesus literally lived in my heart when I was about 5 or 6.

[Image: zj3liAK.jpg]

That's like the Islamic story about Satan sleeping in a person's nostrils.
I believed that one day Rapture would happen, and I'd be standing there watching the clothes of better people than me go limp and fall into a pile, them being lifted into Heaven, as I realized I wasn't saved.

I really believed this, and it scared the shit out of me.

That any of it was real.

I believed what people told me when I was very young because that's what small children do. They absorb the information that people tell them and because they have no frame of reference they're unable to discern what is 'true' and what isn't. It wasn't until the mysteries of the world started to become less magical (eg. Santa) that I began to see through the bull. In terms of Christianity it was the flood and the millions of deaths that were just ignored in the 'good news' bible that was read to me when I was around 6 or7. The magic of a fresh start was tainted by the deaths of every animal and person on the planet, I then started to realise that actually Christianity was neither loving nor true.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I pictured god was a man wearing a white robe looking like he's in his 50-60's and floats in outer space while sitting on a rug.
(September 14, 2015 at 3:09 am)Parkers Tan Wrote: I believed that one day Rapture would happen, and I'd be standing there watching the clothes of better people than me go limp and fall into a pile, them being lifted into Heaven, as I realized I wasn't saved.

I really believed this, and it scared the shit out of me.

I worried over this constantly in my early-to-late teenage years. It was a terrible feeling.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
That all Catholic priests were celibate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what age should a child be introduced to religion? Fake Messiah 82 5478 July 4, 2022 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  How do christens justify child molestation? AngryAtheist666 47 3607 February 15, 2021 at 5:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Disturbing child abuse linked to Voodoo and Chrsitianity downbeatplumb 5 884 January 16, 2019 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2743 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  How to raise a child as an atheist Alexmahone 13 2277 January 1, 2018 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10697 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  If your child... TrueChristian 38 6061 February 19, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: comet
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4893 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What Can Atheists Do for This Child? Rhondazvous 2 1393 November 12, 2015 at 3:35 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19745 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon