Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When believing false things is comforting
When believing false things is comforting
Thought I would share this article:

Quote:I'm sure that most of us can easily identify several things we'd like to believe but don't because we know (or at least suspect) that they are not true. Some of them are things we'd like to believe because it would make us feel better to do so. Some of them are things we'd like to believe because we really wish they were true. But we do not generally believe things we know (or suspect) to be false, do we? Actually, I am not sure about that.

If you are familiar with the sort of street epistemology popularized by Anthony Magnabosco, you have undoubtedly encountered the claim that most people are interested in believing more true things and fewer false things. It is a claim in which I would very much like to believe. Believing it would make me feel better about humanity, and I'd also very much like it to be true. Unfortunately, I am not at all convinced that it is true. In fact, I suspect that it is not true for many religious believers when it comes to religious belief.

The most frustrating conversation I've ever head with a religious believer is one I've had several times with several different religious believers. The common thread and what makes it so frustrating is that they are willing to place their personal feelings (i.e., the comfort they derive) above truth when it comes to their religious belief. To their credit, many have been very open about this.

"I recognize that what I believe might not be true, but I believe it anyway because it makes me feel good to do so."

This is the point at which it becomes clear that continuing the conversation has little point. I mean, what does one say to that? If someone is content to believe things that they acknowledge might be false merely because it makes them feel good, we are coming at the question of belief in such different ways that I am not sure we will ever find common ground. It does not seem like these religious believers are willing to subject their religious beliefs to any real consideration about whether they are true. Even if they did, it is unlikely that they would change their belief as long as it produces positive feelings.

This issue here is not that I have any difficulty understanding why someone would like to feel good. Who doesn't want to feel good? As I mentioned above, there are plenty of things that I'd like to believe because it would probably make me feel good to do so. I cannot do so, however, if I suspect they are false. Even if I might sometimes wish I could do so, I have not figured out how to make myself do so. Similarly, there are all sorts of things I really wish were true. It would be great to be able to believe that at least a few of them were true. But once again, I have not figured out how to believe this when I suspect they are false.

What do you think about the claim that most people are interested in maximizing their true beliefs and minimizing their false beliefs? Is this true of most people? Is it true of most religious believers?
RE: When believing false things is comforting
(September 22, 2019 at 8:27 pm)Fierce Wrote:
Quote:What do you think about the claim that most people are interested in maximizing their true beliefs and minimizing their false beliefs? Is this true of most people? Is it true of most religious believers?

My experience is that it is very much NOT true, of either atheists or religious people. 

Commitment to an ideological position nearly always takes precedence.
Right or wrong, believe whatever you want; just don't be an asshole about those beliefs. I think my only objection here is that so many religious assholes go out of their way to push their religious beliefs onto others and they'll do it at gunpoint, if necessary.

To make an analogy, if you have a friend who loves WWE, do you spend all your time telling him how fake and made up all the "wrestling" is or do you just let him enjoy his show?

Or to think about another perspective, some people have done very good things from inspiration they got from their religion. Ghandi and Martin Luther King Jr are examples here. Suppose, for a moment, that removing their faith would have interfered with the good they did for the world; should they have been convinced of a true belief, even if it prevented them from doing good? Or, likewise, if knowing the truth would have caused someone to do something bad, should they be allowed to continue to believe something that isn't true?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(September 22, 2019 at 8:51 pm)TaraJo Wrote: Ghandi and Martin Luther King Jr are examples here.  

It may be relevant here that in English there are two kinds of belief. 

One is: intellectual assent to a proposition. "I believe that the world is round." 

Another is: commitment to a principle. "I believe in equal rights for women." 

We don't have equal rights for women. Currently they don't exist. But I believe in them. For many Christians, belief in Christ acts in this way, I think.
As long as others false beliefs don't negatively impact me or the society around me I don't care. 

The religious right are negatively impacting my life. The entitled religious are negatively impacting my life.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I think that will and effort is required to fight “false but comforting” believes. After all, our brains are full flaws and programmed in a such a way.

Nonetheless to have a critical mind can be achievable. Though constantly criticizing everything makes us unhappy.
(September 22, 2019 at 10:20 pm)Macoleco Wrote: I think that will and effort is required to fight “false but comforting” believes. After all,  our brains are full flaws and programmed in a such a way.

Nonetheless to have a critical mind can be achievable. Though constantly criticizing everything makes us unhappy.

I think this is a very true statement. I believe that true change requires the opportunity to change, acknowledgement and understanding of what change is desired and (most often forgot) a willingness to change (foreseeing and accepting consequences and conditions) .

As to the second point, having a critical mind is definitely achievable. The question is can it be balanced with it's opposite on the spectrum? If solely seeking a critical mind leads to unhappiness through constant criticism, is it truly the most useful goal? In real life we don't act like we distrust everything we know, so perhaps a more realistic solution is a balance between trust and critical thinking?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I don't think people adopt beliefs that makes them feel good. Although I do think its important for people to adopt positive perspectives; a lot of anxiety and depression stems from people adopting beliefs that make them feel bad (ex. That they will fail the exam before its been graded).

That aside, my prediction is that people don't adopt beliefs because it makes them feel good; but once adopted they'll have a harder time letting go of those beliefs, if they do in fact make them feel good and letting go makes them feel bad.
I think that beliefs based on feels is the anti-thesis to skeptics worldwide and can lead to lots of good and bad things. I think being a skeptic about everything isn't really truly how we act day-to-day and beliefs based on feels are probably far more widely the case in practice than many here would like to admit.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(September 22, 2019 at 8:50 pm)Belaqua Wrote: My experience is that it is very much NOT true, of either atheists or religious people. 

Commitment to an ideological position nearly always takes precedence.

Oh good. Please detail the ideology of atheism. Good luck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If God of Abraham books are false Smain 6 2052 June 26, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Believing In God Is Extremely Immature. Edwardo Piet 42 6897 October 20, 2017 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  The false self and our knowledge of it's deception proves God. Mystic 89 12226 April 14, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is the Point of Believing in God Without Religion? Rhondazvous 74 8134 January 6, 2017 at 11:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 6455 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
Heart A false god does not exist, but the True One exists! Right? theBorg 26 5999 September 8, 2016 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  False pagan gods are not the True ones? theBorg 88 15770 August 17, 2016 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 15594 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The Meaning of Sin, False Christians, Atheists, and Misinterpretations TheChrist 64 13868 August 2, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Are some people truly better off believing? Razzle 45 8793 May 28, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: henryp