Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If god were real...
If god were real...
So, another thread got me to thinking about this:

If god were real, how would you expect him to act? What would you expect him to do?

Here is what I posted in the other thread:

I expect nothing less from your god than your god expects from me.

God commands "Thou shall not kill" and then turns around and orders genocide. He says "Love thy neighbor as thyself" and then condones slavery and the selling of daughters. He does shitty things to good people and still expects to be worshipped and praised.

Until your god starts walking the walk and not being a "Do as I say, not as I do" kind of god, he can fuck off. He is certainly not worthy of worship or praise of any kind, even if he wasn't a fairy tale.

So what are your thoughts?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
RE: If god were real...
(March 28, 2013 at 1:26 pm)Baalzebutt Wrote: So, another thread got me to thinking about this:

If god were real, how would you expect him to act? What would you expect him to do?

Here is what I posted in the other thread:

I expect nothing less from your god than your god expects from me.

God commands "Thou shall not kill" and then turns around and orders genocide. He says "Love thy neighbor as thyself" and then condones slavery and the selling of daughters. He does shitty things to good people and still expects to be worshipped and praised.

Until your god starts walking the walk and not being a "Do as I say, not as I do" kind of god, he can fuck off. He is certainly not worthy of worship or praise of any kind, even if he wasn't a fairy tale.

So what are your thoughts?
I think you, like every other atheist here, is presumptuous to think you're on an equal basis with God, and you fail to consider how man treats species which he considers lesser than himself.

For example, I've committed genocide a number of times. When ants get in our house, I find the nest and wipe out the whole colony. I do so with chemicals available in the local store, so I'm apparently not alone.
So god created us in his living room, but decided we are a pest, so he took out the Raid? And do you consider yourself to be a father to the ants?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(March 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm)John V Wrote: I think you, like every other atheist here, is presumptuous to think you're on an equal basis with God, and you fail to consider how man treats species which he considers lesser than himself.

And I think you, like every other religious man in the world, is presumptuous to think humans are on an equal basis with the rest of the universe, and you fail to consider how man is not a more special species than any other, in the history of our universe. We're not at the center of the universe, why do we get a religion and a God? What about that makes sense?
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(March 28, 2013 at 1:40 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: So god created us in his living room, but decided we are a pest, so he took out the Raid? And do you consider yourself to be a father to the ants?
The Bible clearly says that God isn't father to all. So, what's the difference between God killing man and man killing ants?

(March 28, 2013 at 1:47 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: And I think you, like every other religious man in the world, is presumptuous to think humans are on an equal basis with the rest of the universe, and you fail to consider how man is not a more special species than any other, in the history of our universe.
I kill men, I go to jail, I kill ants, I don't. Holding humans above other life isn't a religious thing, it's a human thing.
If god was real, I expect he would be nothing like man has portrayed him. He would lack the human characteristics man has attributed to him because the god would be separate of what man has created god to be in his own fallible mind.

I imagine, due to the overwhelming evidence that supports it (lack of verifiable miracles, not making his presence known to everyone in such a way that would conclusively prove his existence, and not answering the prayers of those truly in need), god would be one who sincerely does not care for his creations one iota. He would be much like the Greek mythological gods, though more aloof or just completely resigned to being somewhere other than with his creations.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 28, 2013 at 1:48 pm)John V Wrote: The Bible clearly says that God isn't father to all. So, what's the difference between God killing man and man killing ants?

Uh, what?

Sorry, bible spam ahead:

A lot of things. If your god is indeed real, he made us. Did you make the ants? He made us in his likeness. Even though you share some DNA with ants, do they resemble you much? Why create something only to kill it?

EDIT: And most of all, do you require the ants to worship you, and would it make any difference if they did?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(March 28, 2013 at 1:48 pm)John V Wrote:
(March 28, 2013 at 1:47 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: And I think you, like every other religious man in the world, is presumptuous to think humans are on an equal basis with the rest of the universe, and you fail to consider how man is not a more special species than any other, in the history of our universe.
I kill men, I go to jail, I kill ants, I don't. Holding humans above other life isn't a religious thing, it's a human thing.

I'm talking about the existence of God here, not killing. Humans have only been around for roughly 200,000 years. The universe exceeds us by 4 billion years. What makes us so special? Why is there a God for us? What's the sense in it? Why do you put us at the center of the universe? Why is 'it' (life) all about us?

It's off-topic, but noneoftheless, we're still talking about existence of God here.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(March 28, 2013 at 2:00 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: Uh, what?

Sorry, bible spam ahead:
Uh, the Bible clearly says that we're not all God's children. Your quotes regard those who are God's children. Jesus said some people had Satan as their father, and Paul said that the saved were adopted as children upon salvation.
Quote:A lot of things. If your god is indeed real, he made us. Did you make the ants? He made us in his likeness. Even though you share some DNA with ants, do they resemble you much? Why create something only to kill it?
Yes, as we didn't create ants, we have less claim to rights over them than god does to us as our creator.
Quote:EDIT: And most of all, do you require the ants to worship you,
Stupid fucking question.
Quote:and would it make any difference if they did?
If they'd worship me by staying out of my house and off my patio, sure, that would help.
(March 28, 2013 at 2:28 pm)John V Wrote: Uh, the Bible clearly says that we're not all God's children. Your quotes regard those who are God's children. Jesus said some people had Satan as their father, and Paul said that the saved were adopted as children upon salvation.

But god created the devil, he's still a parent by proxy.

Quote:Stupid fucking question.

Quote:If they'd worship me by staying out of my house and off my patio, sure, that would help.

Oh, so worship is ultimately about convenience? Nah, sorry to disappoint you, but you're going to have to stick to that pesticide.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1410 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Who told you that you were naked? Um nobody. Fake Messiah 7 787 March 21, 2019 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  Dead people testify! We were wrong! ignoramus 12 1710 June 11, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Just how stupid were the ancient Israelites? The Valkyrie 115 14638 June 1, 2018 at 5:39 am
Last Post: Joods
  Why Zeus is more real than the Christian God.... maestroanth 4 1813 May 5, 2016 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If You Were A Theist Catholic_Lady 86 15816 August 29, 2015 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Divinity
  If You Were An Atheist Shuffle 111 23811 August 28, 2015 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  What Would the World b Like if You were God Rhondazvous 45 8570 August 23, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: ForsakenHeretic
Question If you were to create your own religion.. TheMonster 26 8009 July 13, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Joods
  What if the bible were rewritten? IATIA 45 8361 June 26, 2015 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: dyresand