Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Struggling Atheist
Struggling Atheist
Hello, I am a 17 year old girl and an atheist. However, almost no one knows that I am and I am constantly struggling around my family to pretend that I am a Christian.

Here is the deal: I didn't grow up in a very religious family. We didn't attend a church regularly growing up, we went occosionally when friends or family invited us. We went to mainly christian and catholic churches but we never attended the same ones. My mom told us pray before we went to sleep, and tell God that we are thankful for the people and things we have in our lives. We didn't say grace, only at family gatherings or picnics if we were around more religious people. So my family does believe in God, they are just not very religious about it. I was allowed to read and watch Harry Potter, they were my favorite childhood books and movies.

Some of the first problems I had with Christianity occcured in middle school. My stepdad's mom (practically my grandmother) was going on a road trip with us and me and my sister had to ride in her car. For the trip, I brought all my Harry Potter books and was screamed at that I brought witchcraft books and they were full of evil spirits that would cloud my brain with nonsense. I didn't understand. My freshman year of highschool I became agnostic after learning things I didn't like about the bible and alot of view points of Christianity that I didn't agree with.

I always believed in evolution. I always believe in Gay and feminist rights. All my friends are also Christian. Two summers ago I was having a discussion and I wanted to see if maybe christianity was right for me. I asked them if I could still be a Christian but believe in gay marriage and evolution. They said no because I had to sacrafice some things to be let into Jesus's arms and into the CHristian faith. I began to realize why had I been telling myself a God exists. WHy does it have to exist? BEcause I was taught that there has to be one? Because theres no other ways for miracles to happen without God creating them? So I became Atheist after realizing God doesn't HAVE to exist. Why do we have to have this thought of heaven? So we are good people and don't fear about being sent to Hell? I heard people in the past tell me that the Devil makes people do bad things, or all good things happen because God sent a miracle. Why can't things happen because thats the way life is? If someone wakes up from a coma after 5 years, why does it have to be God's doing and that it was meant to be at that time because God had a plan?

I've had discussions with my Mom in the past in how my viewpoints are changing but she was very unaccepting and said I needed faith so I could have morals and values. I don't see how not believing in a God prevents me from having personal values within myself. God doesn't make me the person that I am. I don't know how to ever come out to my family. I pretend to be a Christian around them. But I feel like I'm living in a lie for the past 3 years since I really discovered what I believe in. I've lost many of my friends because I told them I don't believe in God. And I don't want to lose more of my family either. I've only met one atheist and he is my boyfriend. It seems I've been surrounded by religion my whole life.

If anyone has any good advice or would like to talk, please reply. I've never really talked to many people with the same viewpoints on religion so it would be interesting. Smile
RE: Struggling Atheist
Guten Abend.

Please dont do anything which may cause harm to be inflicted on you.

When you tell your parents, be sure to stand on your own feet and be prepared for some drama.
Thank you for sharing your story!

I agree with Germans, it might be hard to pretend to be something you aren't, but 'coming out' at the wrong time can be devastating.

Welcome to AF, I hope you'll enjoy your stay! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome Smile
(March 30, 2013 at 5:23 pm)Openminded Wrote: Hello, I am a 17 year old girl and an atheist. However, almost no one knows that I am and I am constantly struggling around my family to pretend that I am a Christian.

Here is the deal: I didn't grow up in a very religious family. We didn't attend a church regularly growing up, we went occosionally when friends or family invited us. We went to mainly christian and catholic churches but we never attended the same ones. My mom told us pray before we went to sleep, and tell God that we are thankful for the people and things we have in our lives. We didn't say grace, only at family gatherings or picnics if we were around more religious people. So my family does believe in God, they are just not very religious about it. I was allowed to read and watch Harry Potter, they were my favorite childhood books and movies.

Some of the first problems I had with Christianity occcured in middle school. My stepdad's mom (practically my grandmother) was going on a road trip with us and me and my sister had to ride in her car. For the trip, I brought all my Harry Potter books and was screamed at that I brought witchcraft books and they were full of evil spirits that would cloud my brain with nonsense. I didn't understand. My freshman year of highschool I became agnostic after learning things I didn't like about the bible and alot of view points of Christianity that I didn't agree with.

I always believed in evolution. I always believe in Gay and feminist rights. All my friends are also Christian. Two summers ago I was having a discussion and I wanted to see if maybe christianity was right for me. I asked them if I could still be a Christian but believe in gay marriage and evolution. They said no because I had to sacrafice some things to be let into Jesus's arms and into the CHristian faith. I began to realize why had I been telling myself a God exists. WHy does it have to exist? BEcause I was taught that there has to be one? Because theres no other ways for miracles to happen without God creating them? So I became Atheist after realizing God doesn't HAVE to exist. Why do we have to have this thought of heaven? So we are good people and don't fear about being sent to Hell? I heard people in the past tell me that the Devil makes people do bad things, or all good things happen because God sent a miracle. Why can't things happen because thats the way life is? If someone wakes up from a coma after 5 years, why does it have to be God's doing and that it was meant to be at that time because God had a plan?

I've had discussions with my Mom in the past in how my viewpoints are changing but she was very unaccepting and said I needed faith so I could have morals and values. I don't see how not believing in a God prevents me from having personal values within myself. God doesn't make me the person that I am. I don't know how to ever come out to my family. I pretend to be a Christian around them. But I feel like I'm living in a lie for the past 3 years since I really discovered what I believe in. I've lost many of my friends because I told them I don't believe in God. And I don't want to lose more of my family either. I've only met one atheist and he is my boyfriend. It seems I've been surrounded by religion my whole life.

If anyone has any good advice or would like to talk, please reply. I've never really talked to many people with the same viewpoints on religion so it would be interesting. Smile

Don't tell them, just pretend to be interested in god a little bit, i do it with the people in work all the time.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Quote:she was very unaccepting and said I needed faith so I could have morals and values.

What she means, of course, is that you have to have HER morals and values...which you have already rejected so there seems to be no going back.

The thing with xtians is that they don't really care what you think as long as you maintain outward conformity to their foolishness. It is hard but it may be your best course of action until you are older.
You'll outlive your parents opinions of you, and when they are gone your memories will be all that's left of them. A parent could probably benefit alot more by ingratiating themselves to their child, rather than expecting things to go the other way round. After all, you're likely to be the one footing the bill for -their- diapers soon enough.

Just food for thought.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 30, 2013 at 7:48 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:she was very unaccepting and said I needed faith so I could have morals and values.

What she means, of course, is that you have to have HER morals and values...which you have already rejected so there seems to be no going back.

The thing with xtians is that they don't really care what you think as long as you maintain outward conformity to their foolishness. It is hard but it may be your best course of action until you are older.

You don't accept what the law says about guardianship, huh?
I'm not sure I know what are talking about, strudel. Are you?

In the US -
Quote:A guardianship is a legal relationship created when a person or institution named in a will or assigned by the court to take care of minor children or incompetent adults.

I see nothing in the original story which indicates this was the case.

But do you think that parents have the right to treat their children like fucking slaves? I mean, you are pretty obviously a prick so nothing would surprise me but giving birth to someone does not mean you get to run their lives.

Do the world a favor and avoid procreating, huh.
Do you think parents can bring their children up however they want until they are 18, in the limits of the law (child abuse, etc)? Who do you think you are to get in the way of the law and the family?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Struggling Servatum 4 1725 November 5, 2014 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Servatum