Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm offended by Islam
I'm offended by Islam
I would Type out the reasons why but Pat has me covered, he is saying what we are all thinking.

And I completely agree.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: I'm offended by Islam
Bravo.
You are offended by Islam? Ok, what about all the other cults based on naked assertions? I am offended by Islam too, but the real offense isn't that Islam exists, the real offense is that people of all religious cults think that human morality is magic and not a product of evolution.

We should be offended by violence over being offended. But when we as a species forget that we are not above evolution, in the future we will ourselves seek not to be offended and ourselves get violent to insure we are not offended.
That is fucking awesome.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 5, 2013 at 7:09 pm)Brian37 Wrote: the real offense is that people of all religious cults think that human morality is magic and not a product of evolution.

I think human morality is magic and is not a product of evolution. I don't even know how you can get offended from the perspective that it's a product of evolution Tongue

Moreover, from what I read, studied, watched, and perceived regarding science, and reasoned, it appears to me the irreducible complexity argument is correct, that some systems are irreducibly complex even though various details of it are not irreducible, or it at least shows severe unlikelihood of evolution from naturalism perspective.

Yes I took biology in high school.
(April 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(April 5, 2013 at 7:09 pm)Brian37 Wrote: the real offense is that people of all religious cults think that human morality is magic and not a product of evolution.

I think human morality is magic and is not a product of evolution. I don't even know how you can get offended from the perspective that it's a product of evolution Tongue

Moreover, from what I read, studied, watched, and perceived regarding science, and reasoned, it appears to me the irreducible complexity argument is correct, that some systems are irreducibly complex even though various details of it are not irreducible, or it at least shows severe unlikelihood of evolution from naturalism perspective.

Oh yer, so did I. You do know that Biology at university level is nothing like what you learn in school (like every other scientific discipline), come back when you have studied it at least undergratuate level and tell me evolution is wrong.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
(April 5, 2013 at 8:07 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote:
(April 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I think human morality is magic and is not a product of evolution. I don't even know how you can get offended from the perspective that it's a product of evolution Tongue

Oh yer, so did I. You do know that Biology at university level is nothing like what you learn in school (like every other scientific discipline), come back when you have studied it at least undergratuate level and tell me evolution is wrong.

Are you implying everyone who studied biology at university level will believe in evolution naturalism wise or that the theory has not been falsified? I'm not stating it's wrong, I'm stating it seems wrong or severely unlikely to me.
(April 5, 2013 at 8:14 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(April 5, 2013 at 8:07 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Oh yer, so did I. You do know that Biology at university level is nothing like what you learn in school (like every other scientific discipline), come back when you have studied it at least undergratuate level and tell me evolution is wrong.

Are you implying everyone who studied biology at university level will believe in evolution naturalism wise or that the theory has not been falsified? I'm not stating it's wrong, I'm stating it seems wrong or severely unlikely to me.

What you say is true, but if you did more research of why the Evolution has a stud for so long, you may see about clearing.
Heck, I even get you started:
http://ideonexus.com/2012/02/12/101-reas...n-is-true/
Also if evolution had been falsified, you would think we would not be having this conversation and the person who would have had falsified it would have gotten there noble prize.
(April 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:

I'd be interested in the data you reviewed to come to your conclusionsWink
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(April 5, 2013 at 8:25 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Evolution has a stud for so long, you may see about clearing.
Heck, I even get you started:
http://ideonexus.com/2012/02/12/101-reas...n-is-true/

Oh I believe in evolution, I just don't believe in Darwinian evolution. There is a notable difference. I even tend to believe in common descent. The reason why the Creator would've created it like that, maybe for the sake of medicine and science and study of genetics.

However, I do believe science also proves some systems are irreducible complex (even though not everything in the system is irreducible), which to me, imply it was not all random mutations, but significant changes happened at one point that were not small changes over time.

This is not stated in certainty, it just seems that way, from seeing what various sides have to say about the issue and from what I reasoned and what seems like the evidence points to.

Quote:Also if evolution had been falsified, you would think we would not be having this conversation and the person who would have had falsified it would have gotten there noble prize.

Why do you believe that is the case? Is that the case with everything that has been falsified? If not, what makes evolution special in this regard?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7802 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5443 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Anti-Islam Dutch politician converts to Islam Muslim Scholar 58 33720 May 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Violet