Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can evolution be "believed" or "not believed"?
Can evolution be "believed" or "not believed"?
I know a couple of people who claim not to "believe" in evolution. But is evolution something you can really believe or not believe? Is there not enough evidence to show that evolution is true? If so, why do people think it's a choice whether or not to accept it. From what we know, it's true, whether people like it or not.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Can evolution be "believed" or "not believed"?
(April 16, 2013 at 3:55 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: I know a couple of people who claim not to "believe" in evolution. But is evolution something you can really believe or not believe? Is there not enough evidence to show that evolution is true? If so, why do people think it's a choice whether or not to accept it. From what we know, it's true, whether people like it or not.

I've often thought the same thing about the question along the lines of "who believes in evolution". Sometimes such a thing is asked of GOP presidential hopefuls (most of the hands don't go up). I object to the very question as well.

If it is a legitimate question, then for the record, I'd also like to express a "belief" in the theory of gravity, germ theory and atomic theory.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Most certainly it's something that can be believed or not - much like the Apollo 11 landing. That it's a stone cold fact tends not to make much difference.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
It's not "believed" or "not believed" in. It's "accepted" or "not accepted because I've never actually studied it".
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
(April 16, 2013 at 4:00 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: If it is a legitimate question, then for the record, I'd also like to express a "belief" in the theory of gravity, germ theory and atomic theory.

To be fair, isn't gravity a law?
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Re: Can evolution be "believed" or "not believed"?
I was going to reply properly, but instead just smacked my phone into my face. That's my response.
(April 16, 2013 at 4:13 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: To be fair, isn't gravity a law?

There is the law of universal gravitation, and then there is the theory of gravity. Law only applies to things that can be put into equations, as far as I know.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Quote:But is evolution something you can really believe or not believe?

I have no doubt that dumb-assed jesus freaks - and their equally dumb fundie muslim counterparts - don't "believe" it. Of course, they also believe in fucking miracles and a dead jew coming back to life so their beliefs are pretty retarded in any case.
I refuse to believe in evolution. Random chance could never produce a creature as totally perfectly stupid and as perfectly designed to embarass humans as a creationist.

Only a perfectly malicious intelligence can explain the creationist.
(April 16, 2013 at 4:13 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote:
(April 16, 2013 at 4:00 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: If it is a legitimate question, then for the record, I'd also like to express a "belief" in the theory of gravity, germ theory and atomic theory.

To be fair, isn't gravity a law?

This equation here:
F = G M1.M2/r^2

Is the law of Universal gravitation, as devised by Newton.... of course he didn't use equations, he just wrote the equation in words.

It's a nice, and simple equation. It has been superseeded by General relativity, but it's still a very good approximation of the observed effect that the phenomenon of gravity can have between two bodies of mass M1 and M2 at a distance r.

Gravity itself is a force. This force is mathematically described by the law of gravitation and that's why we get a F in the equation.

So, where does belief enter this construct?... this law?
We all feel gravity.... unless you were born in outer space and spent your whole life there, then you have first hand experience of gravitational force.

Observation of the movements of astral bodies, namely our closest, moon, planets and sun fit all too well with this law. Actually, the law arises when a guy takes all the available data and tries to fit an equation to it... this guy tries a lot of different equations until one fits quite nicely.
Other people check the results and, if they pass the test, the equation is approved and can be used in other situations, providing a reliable outcome.

Where is belief?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the universe." IanHulett 18 6960 February 22, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing. Annik 49 18056 May 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda