Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I would visit the U.S.A., which state would you recommend me to visit?
If I would visit the U.S.A., which state would you recommend me to visit?
As there are 50 states, that makes it difficult to choose as a possible tourist.

PS: I assumed in my question that the majority of the users on here are U.S. citizens. Please correct me if I am wrong.
RE: If I would visit the U.S.A., which state would you recommend me to visit?
It depends on what you'd like to do when you get here. Can you give us some idea what you'd like to do, what interests you?
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(April 27, 2013 at 9:51 am)orogenicman Wrote: It depends on what you'd like to do when you get here. Can you give us some idea what you'd like to do, what interests you?

I am interested in life sciences and astronomy.
And I do like great food.
I have been to two states, Washington and Florida.
Orlando is nice if you like amusement parks and it's not too far from Cape Canaveral, Seattle for the city itself and the surrounding nature.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 27, 2013 at 10:17 am)Luminox Wrote:
(April 27, 2013 at 9:51 am)orogenicman Wrote: It depends on what you'd like to do when you get here. Can you give us some idea what you'd like to do, what interests you?

A blue state. There is no life in other states, much less science, and what life isn't there believes heaven instead of astronomy, and eats corn dogs and burritos instead of food.

Angel

More seriously, what exactly would you like to see in the way of life sciences and astronomy? An observatory? Clear sky? A tour of a noted life sciences department in a university? Great herds of bisons?
(April 27, 2013 at 10:17 am)Luminox Wrote: I am interested in life sciences and astronomy.

Hawaii.

http://www.hawaiifun.org/BigIsland.shtml
There really is no point in coming here.

Go to the French or Spanish Riviera instead and soak up some sun.
Type of food will determine the suggestion too.

I'm partial to DC, since it's the capital and the museums are FREE, which is more than you can say in a LOT of U.S. cities. Plus, since it's the seat of the federal gov't, the museums are not only free, they're first rate. If you go during the summer months, before it gets too hot, the gardens are gorgeous as well. You could easily spend a week in DC and not see everything it has to offer. The food is all-around good.

If you're looking for country-views though, that's a different story.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(April 27, 2013 at 10:17 am)Luminox Wrote:

Massachusetts. You can join Boston University for star gazing every Wednesday free in the summer, weather permitting. The Harvard Museums are great, as is the Science Museum. The food in the North End is fucking outstanding.

Oregon or Washington. It has barely any light pollution, if you go into the country and there is so much wilderness, that you'll get a lot of first-hand life sciences. Tongue

I've been to more than half of the United States. I hate the South and there isn't much going on in the middle, unless you are into agriculture or geology (I'm into the latter, so I love the cave-y states). Feel free to ask me anything.
(April 27, 2013 at 12:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote: There really is no point in coming here.

Go to the French or Spanish Riviera instead and soak up some sun.

Really? Yellowstone, Yosemite, the Rocky Mountains. Even Arizona has beautiful places that are totally different than anything you can find in Europe.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 726 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Which famous clone would you adopt? Fake Messiah 10 907 January 24, 2023 at 7:49 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Which TV game show would you win? Fake Messiah 6 803 January 18, 2023 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Which is worse? Foxaèr 13 590 February 23, 2022 at 8:59 am
Last Post: brewer
  The current state of engineering Macoleco 14 969 November 24, 2021 at 7:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Anyone visit a volcano, or live near a volcano? Brian37 27 1351 October 21, 2021 at 5:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Which one is the correct phrase? brewer 20 1778 September 21, 2021 at 7:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Which ancient thread of mine should I necro? Foxaèr 11 555 August 25, 2021 at 7:15 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Which console zo buy a 12-year-old kid? franzis 20 2388 February 23, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  A tale of American healthcare as told through one Doctor visit Figbash 14 1602 December 7, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda