Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Few questions
Few questions
Hi ! I'm an Agnostic Christian and I hesitate between Atheism and Christianity.
To explain why. I will quote a post from the thread about my presentation.

Quote:I can define myself like Agnostic Christian because I see that in fact the bible have a lot of contradictions and errors and I think that there are maybe an explication to confirm the Christianity but I'm not sure.
Too I saw that a lot of myths in the bible came from older myths (Sumerian , Egyptian , Greek etc...).
For this fact I have two explications the authors of pagans myths was inspired by Satan or an other demon.
The other possibility is these stories was only write by some humans because the demoniac forces doesn't not exist.

Therefore I hesitate with Atheism and Christianity , like for me if the old testament is false the Judaism is not the real religion and Christianity too. For me the Islam is not the true religion like there are a lot of error in the scientific domain in this book named quran , koran , al-koran etc... in English language.

But I would like to know if God does not exist why ?

1.Since my 4 years old I always had the feeling that I will take part to the last battle (Armageddon).
That is maybe because I heared a lot of things about God during this time or this feeling is not an illusion like this is the reality.

2.The first time where I can listened by accident (funfair) an Eurodance music (No limit by Knut) I had the sensation to be connected with the universe.
This is probably an illusion or that is possible.

3.Why I have all time (since my 4 years old) this weird sensation in my Thorax , a sensation to be like a empty memory card.
I have a spiritual problem or this is biologic other possibility this is neurologic or this is only a psychological sensation.

4.If God does not exist how the chaos created this world ?

5.If the soul does not exist how I can exist ? there are probably something before the human life and after.

6.How the Evolution Theory can be the truth (I'm not creationist) ?

7.If God does exist really why does he exist ?

8.How was the world before the Big Bang (this universe is maybe a part of the multiverse some physical theories speak about that) ?

9.How contact God without pray and without speak therefore how feeling God ?

10.Believe in God is maybe irrational but why the chaos is rational ?
RE: Few questions
1. I don't understand
2. I don't understand.
3. Natural.
4. Chaos didn't create the world.
5. You were conceived by your parents. Why do you feel a soul is necessary?
6. Research evolution and you'll see why it is true.
7. He doesn't.
8. There was no world before the big bang. Or universe.
9. See 7.
10. What chaos?
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
(May 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm)viocjit Wrote: Hi ! I'm an Agnostic Christian and I hesitate between Atheism and Christianity.
You could be pure agnostic too, I suppose.
(May 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm)viocjit Wrote: 1.Since my 4 years old I always had the feeling that I will take part to the last battle (Armageddon).
That is maybe because I heared a lot of things about God during this time or this feeling is not an illusion like this is the reality.

2.The first time where I can listened by accident (funfair) an Eurodance music (No limit by Knut) I had the sensation to be connected with the universe.

3.Why I have all time (since my 4 years old) this weird sensation in my Thorax , a sensation to be like a empty memory card.
I have a spiritual problem or this is biologic other possibility this is neurologic or this is only a psychological sensation.
As for the first, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "feeling" that you would be in the battle of Armageddon. Regardless, I don't think this means anything (especially since some theists, even, consider Revelation to be metaphorical/allegorical)

The second feeling doesn't even really relate to god. I'm not sure what the third would be (I am not a psychologist, and the description is a bit vague), but historically in "god did it" vs. natural explanation, all confirmed phenomena have come out as natural.
(May 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm)viocjit Wrote: 4.If God does not exist how the chaos created this world ?
"Stardust" condensed under its own gravity to form terrestrial spheres (the planets). Google would probably give a fuller explanation, but the process by which stars and planets form is fairly well understood.

(May 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm)viocjit Wrote: 5.If the soul does not exist how I can exist ? there are probably something before the human life and after.
Why would there need to be a soul for you to exist? If you are referring to consciousness, then you have to draw a line of brain complexity where the simpler animals have no soul, and the more complex ones do (unless you say no animals have a soul other than humans). There are various levels of brain evolution observed across different animal phyla, demonstrating that consciousness did not just fall out of the sky.

(May 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm)viocjit Wrote: 6.How the Evolution Theory can be the truth (I'm not creationist) ?
If you knew more about evolution, you probably wouldn't be asking this.

Basically, random genetic mutations that occur in genes are either positive, negative, or neutral. Organisms who are negatively mutated (note that "mutated" may only refer to a single gene that only has a relatively small physical difference, or even none at all) have a decreased chance of survival (and hence decreased chance of reproducing and passing on their lesser genes) and one with positive mutations are the opposite. It must be noted that changes in traits are relative to survival in the organism's current habitat, and will not necessarily be advantageous in other locations. Also, evolution isn't in a straight line. Two or more viable (not even necessarily equally viable) evolutionary paths may lead to speciation. It doesn't need to be survival of the fittest, just survival of the fit enough.

(May 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm)viocjit Wrote: 7.If God does exist really why does he exist ?
I have no idea. The idea of an all-powerful being existing at all strikes me as impossible, but to exist ex nihilo prior to a finite universe that couldn't exist ex nihilo is even stranger. (And yes, I have hear "he always existed" but that presents its own problems). Long story short: I can't imagine why he would exist.

(May 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm)viocjit Wrote: 8.How was the world before the Big Bang (this universe is maybe a part of the multiverse some physical theories speak about that) ?
I don't know, nor do I claim to. Not knowing doesn't mean you can pick any answer you like, even if there isn't good evidence for it. There certainly isn't strong evidence for a multiverse at the time being. It doesn't mean there certainly isn't one, but we can't claim that there is yet, either.
(May 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm)viocjit Wrote: 9.How contact God without pray and without speak therefore how feeling God ?
How would I know? Prayer doesn't even seem to contact him (if he exists). But if you can't seem to make contact with him, you aren't alone. A lot of theists will either argue that you have no right to ask god to do something (namely, prove his own existence by contacting you) or that he is testing your faith. One should not place unlimited faith in something. If your faith is tested too much, you should consider dropping it, and examining the concept on its own merits (or lack therof).
(May 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm)viocjit Wrote: 10.Believe in God is maybe irrational but why the chaos is rational ?
Entropy.

But, sometimes order arises from disorder (i.e. snowflakes). So no, entropy isn't a valid argument against abiogenesis and/or evolution.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
1.Since my 4 years old I always had the feeling that I will take part to the last battle (Armageddon).

And after every kick-ass action movie I feel like I can take on the whole world, but alas, I cannot.

Ravers do this all the time. I on the other hand think that Eurodance is about as trashy as music gets. Apart from the occasional Scooter that is.

Your memory is in your brain, not in your windpipe and lungs.

In temperatures near absolute zero it is possible for the weak force of gravity to take hold, small particles start to clump together. The more there are of them, the better they attract more and suddenly we have e.g. a star. I do not find that chaotic at all.

5.If the soul does not exist how I can exist ? there are probably something before the human life and after.

The only thing you can be certain of is that you will die. Why is it probable that there is something after life and why is it only for humans? My dog had more 'soul' than some people I know. And why is it necessary to have 'soul' to exist?'

[i]The truth of what? Read some biology books to get a better understanding. I recommend
Life: The Science of Biology by David Savada et. al.

Because some humans need gods in order to control others, while others need reassurance that they are more special than they actually are and that they can believe that they have a greater purpose than to just live.

8.How was the world before the Big Bang (this universe is maybe a part of the multiverse some physical theories speak about that) ?

That I don't know, but I bet that e.g. Stephen Hawking has written something interesting on the topic.

Why 'contact' something that isn't there? You'd be better off talking to yourself.

What chaos?

(May 1, 2013 at 6:06 pm)Darkstar Wrote: Entropy.

But, sometimes order arises from disorder (i.e. snowflakes). So no, entropy isn't a valid argument against abiogenesis and/or evolution.

Not to mention that Earth isn't a closed system, we constantly get energy from the sun Wink
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Thanks to all for yours answers.
I hope have others answers.

I can conclude that I must read more about the evolution theory.
Quote:the evolution theory.
That's a scientific theory, by the way... Not a layman's theory.

Just the way you said that made it sound like you meant the wrong version of the word 'theory'
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
(May 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm)viocjit Wrote: But I would like to know if God does not exist why ?

1. Young children have all sorts of fantasies. You seemed to have a particularly strong one that you have a hard time letting go of. And of course your fantasy was fueled by your environment and upbringing.

2. Music can have powerful effects on the human mind. Particularly some forms of dance music. Music, especially pulsing types with repetitive rhythms, can alter the brain state and create trance like states. Google the following phrase 'dance music rhythm and trance states'.

3. Sounds natural to me.

4. Not an accurate description of how the universe came into existence.

5. Humans exist via natural mechanisms. No need for a soul. There is zero evidence that there can be anything of our consciousness that can survive death.

6. Evolution has been observed. Evolution is both an observed fact AND a scientific theory. http://www.notjustatheory.com

8. This is an unknown. Unknowns do not equal "god did it".

9. There is most likely nothing to contact.

10. The natural explanations for the existence of the universe are not irrational, belief in a deity is.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink hey! im one of the few and proud latino post-theists JaOrMar 2 1616 April 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: HeyItsZeus