Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3d printed gun test fired
3d printed gun test fired
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: 3d printed gun test fired
Well it is far from a functional weapon.

It exploded with a rifle cartage.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(May 6, 2013 at 6:03 am)Dragonetti Wrote: Well it is far from a functional weapon.

It's a technology that is in a pretty early stage, as far as I know. We're entering what I would consider a beta testing phase, with people beginning to see what they can and can't do with it, and refinements and improvements will follow. I don't know about Chuck Schumer's claim that a person could "turn his garage into a gun factory" (was on the news last night) but it might only be a few years before something in that vein is possible.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 6, 2013 at 6:03 am)Dragonetti Wrote: Well it is far from a functional weapon.

The first test was conducted using a 5.7x28 upper. It failed after 5 or 6 rounds. The video I posted above shows a test on a redesigned lower receiver that was beefed up in the area that failed on the first test. It appears to be working pretty well in a test using what looks like a 5.56x45 upper.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
There's also a .22 handgun that's been made using these, which should be more durable.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/201...department

Fair use excerpt
Quote:The US government has blocked a Texas-based company from distributing details online of how to make a plastic gun using a 3-D printer.

The ban, by the State Department citing international arms control law, comes just days after the world's first such gun was successfully fired.

As soon as I read this I went on thepiratebay and downloaded the instruction set for the printer.

Is everyone in the US Gov over 90? It was once published. It exists forever. Next question.
I got around to reading what I downloaded. It handles a .380 round. I think that is the 7.62 kurz for non-English country readers. Nothing special but was the James Bond round in his PPK. I did not find any information on number of rounds before the barrel needs be replaced. ABS plastic is rather tough, it is what US telephones were made of, but one does not expect miracles. On the other hand the barrel is a separate piece so spares can be made.
(May 11, 2013 at 2:54 pm)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: Is everyone in the US Gov over 90? It was once published. It exists forever. Next question.
Related:

[Image: uHKaZl2.png]
(May 11, 2013 at 6:31 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(May 11, 2013 at 2:54 pm)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: Is everyone in the US Gov over 90? It was once published. It exists forever. Next question.
Related:

[Image: uHKaZl2.png]

Prior censorship. There is no law relating to plans for guns. The maker machine cost $8000. That is enough for at least 50 guns firing a .380 which will last for tens of thousands of rounds.

Also there is no US law against manufacturing a gun for personal use as long as it does not violate other laws such as full auto. The law only applies to manufacturing for sale.

Anyone with a torrent app and an $8000 machine go here.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:a698150e56f0a98b6d95e597086f37b0812cdf7b&dn=DefDist+Rifles+Files&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.istole.it%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.ccc.de%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337

It is only a couple megs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I want me a printed moon house. downbeatplumb 8 3586 February 2, 2013 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  IQ test = pseudoscience? Alto Impacto 11 9094 December 14, 2011 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Jackalope