Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IQ test = pseudoscience?
IQ test = pseudoscience?
Is it true? or not?
RE: IQ test = pseudoscience?
Well, they definitely tell the test taker how "smart" you are at taking their particular test. Believe the idea is to get a comprehensive list of problems that engage different "types" of cognitive ability. Taking them all together the IQ is an average of your overall ability or aptitude for problem solving (as defined by the test used as a standard). In that sense there's really no trouble with the test, but there's probably too much focus on the grade and what it means. IQ tests have gone through many many revisions, and have been used as a placement tool for programs like Gifted, MEGSSS, and CAST. In that arena they seem to be very effective.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Who ever called it science?
Depends on who you ask. Many a time did I witness an argument at university between students of psychology (who say they don't measure intelligence) and students of biology / neuroscience who say they do. The general argument against IQ tests is that they don't measure certain types of intelligence, like "artistic" intelligence, and favour problem solving. The counter-argument is that "artistic" intelligence doesn't exist, and that intelligence itself can be defined as a measure of one's ability to solve problems, reason, understand, etc, so IQ tests are perfect for measuring that.

I for one take the view that IQ tests are accurate at measuring intelligence, as long as you take intelligence as reasoning / problem solving / etc. If you don't start calling things like "artistic ability" some form of intelligence, then you are fine. Often, people of extraordinary artistic ability have high IQs anyway, since a form of problem solving is present in the creation of artwork.

If you want to read up more on intelligence, I'd suggest the article on g at Wikipedia.
I don't dispute that it measures (in that its results is probably correlated to a certain degree) something. But I don't think it can demonstrate either the precision, or the specificity, or any empirical, much less analytical, theoretical foundation to be called science.
Just curious;why was the OP banned?
He failed the Atheist Forums IQ Test. He just had to go.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Wow, dude was banned after 4 posts?

(December 14, 2011 at 6:49 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: He failed the Atheist Forums IQ Test. He just had to go.

Atheist Forums IQ Test? Really?
(December 14, 2011 at 10:51 pm)Blam! Wrote:
(December 14, 2011 at 6:49 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: He failed the Atheist Forums IQ Test. He just had to go.

Atheist Forums IQ Test? Really?

Fish on!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3d printed gun test fired downbeatplumb 11 3646 May 13, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  On Pseudoscience, Heresy, and Climate Change thesummerqueen 9 3278 November 20, 2011 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger