Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saying this to an religious fanatic
Saying this to an religious fanatic
[Image: 575606_10151613375450155_1036526468_n.jpg]

What kind of an response can I hear in return?

I'm asking this because I want to see if there are any good theist answers.
[Image: oie_24131128_CIMC84_Qv.jpg]
Sometimes I Pretend To Be Normal,But It Gets Boring. So I go Back to Being Me.
RE: Saying this to an religious fanatic
I know I'm not a theist, but I fail to see how God's intelligence and his arrogance in his choice of who goes to heaven or hell are mutually exclusive. I don't understand the picture.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(May 26, 2013 at 2:53 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: I know I'm not a theist, but I fail to see how God's intelligence and his arrogance in his choice of who goes to heaven or hell are mutually exclusive. I don't understand the picture.

me neither this is why i posted this here
So if you don't understand it, what exactly are you trying to say?
Intelligence does not always equal compassion. Sociopaths are often quite smart. Indeed, one could postulate that having all that intelligence and awareness heaped onto a single consciousness caused God to go insane, which is why he demands undying adoration and/or blames humankind for his own mistakes and thus felt that sacrificing himself was the only way he could forgive them, but only if they believe in it.

Now, if that demotivational poster had been about a compassionate god as opposed to an intelligent one, then it'd make perfect sense.
God works in mysterious ( I don't know why, and you're an idiot for asking me this, go away, you heathen, blah blah blah)
(May 26, 2013 at 3:33 pm)catfish Wrote: So if you don't understand it, what exactly are you trying to say?

I just need advice if this is an good think to say to an religious person
(May 26, 2013 at 4:52 pm)Just Chilling Wrote:
(May 26, 2013 at 3:33 pm)catfish Wrote: So if you don't understand it, what exactly are you trying to say?

Based on the comments so far, I'd say no.

Well, maybe. Sure, the religious person with whom you're arguing will likely reply by asking, who are you to question God's intelligence, God's plan, etc...and the ideal response to that is to say, who are you to claim to have knowledge of said plan? Of course, he or she will likely say something about faith, meaning "I've already made up my mind about what I want to be true, and nothing will convince me otherwise".

But all is not in vain. Remember, the point of having reasoned arguments with religious people is not to sway their viewpoints (you won't), but to hopefully influence any bystanders who happen to hear and might be on the fence, and set them on the path to secular enlightenment. Wink
(May 26, 2013 at 4:52 pm)Just Chilling Wrote:

Only if you believe the Bible actually says what you're questioning...

I suppose you haven't reasearched the Greek word that translated to "eternal"???
"God does not want anyone to go to hell. If they go to hell is because they chose to go. They did not want to be with God. That was their choice and he lets us choose what we want to do. " ~ that is what I would expect to hear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 1085 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Are god and religion ways of saying "screw you" to nature? ShinyCrystals 18 907 January 8, 2024 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  ☢The Theistic Response➼ to Atheists saying, "It Doesn't mean God Did it" The Joker 195 22946 November 24, 2016 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12772 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus