Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Legislation Will Allow Iowa’s Homeschooling Parents to Not Teach Their Children
New Legislation Will Allow Iowa’s Homeschooling Parents to Not Teach Their Children
Quote:This past week, the Iowa legislature passed House File 215, a bill that changes the way homeschooling is regulated. In short, it removes a good chunk of state oversight, leaving the education of homeschooled children completely in the hands of their parents — and Christian homeschooling families couldn’t be more thrilled (emphasis theirs)
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...-children/
Well done, you fucking Idiots (I am talking about the State)
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: New Legislation Will Allow Iowa’s Homeschooling Parents to Not Teach Their Children
Quote:basically, if Governor [Terry] Branstad signs this law

So the issue comes down to "how stupid is Branstad." He's a republicunt so my guess is "very."
RE: New Legislation Will Allow Iowa’s Homeschooling Parents to Not Teach Their Children
This is the kind of shit that is sending our country to hell in a hand basket. Of course, these uneducated shitwits will just blame it on the gays.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Enter the nit-wit offspring of uneducated morons who will either teach them fairy tales or nothing at all. I guess I'm staying away from Iowa. No big loss. No offense, Iowans.
I thought Obama won the state of Iowa? I never understood how a state can have a republican governor, and yet vote for a democratic president, it doesn't make any sense. I think it was the same with Wisconsin as well.
Add that to the long list of things you do not understand.
(May 28, 2013 at 3:03 pm)ideologue08 Wrote: I thought Obama won the state of Iowa? I never understood how a state can have a republican governor, and yet vote for a democratic president, it doesn't make any sense. I think it was the same with Wisconsin as well.

There's a few reasons that I can think of off the top of my head.

Presidential and gubernatorial election cycles aren't in sync (i.e. there can be a multi-year gap between when the president and a state's governor is elected). In areas where elections are decided by a few percentage points, the ramifications should be obvious. Iowa elected it's governor in 2010, a non-presidential election year.

Over a third of voters nationwide identify as independent (Gallup, 2012). Not everyone votes along party lines.
(May 28, 2013 at 3:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Add that to the long list of things you do not understand.
Well, you are much much older than me, so yes you will obviously understand a lot of things I don't. With age comes wisdom, well, at least most of the time.

(May 28, 2013 at 3:14 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: There's a few reasons that I can think of off the top of my head.

Presidential and gubernatorial election cycles aren't in sync (i.e. there can be a multi-year gap between when the president and a state's governor is elected). In areas where elections are decided by a few percentage points, the ramifications should be obvious. Iowa elected it's governor in 2010, a non-presidential election year.

Over a third of voters nationwide identify as independent (Gallup, 2012). Not everyone votes along party lines.
Those are good reasons, it will affect the turnout I agree if governor elections are not held same year as presidential elections. But people should surely care about who their governor is, I mean a solid blue state like Wisconsin had two elections, a normal one and a re-call, and both were won by Scott Brown! How that can happen is totally beyond me, either the electorate just didn't care or they genuinely thought that a republican governor was the preferred choice despite voting overwhelmingly for Obama. Both options are confusing.

It doesn't work like that in the UK, everything is pretty much consistent here. The areas that vote Conservative in the general election all have Conservative held councils etc.
(May 28, 2013 at 3:16 pm)ideologue08 Wrote: Those are good reasons, it will affect the turnout I agree if governor elections are not held same year as presidential elections. But people should surely care about who their governor is, I mean a solid blue state like Wisconsin had two elections, a normal one and a re-call, and both were won by Scott Brown! How that can happen is totally beyond me, either the electorate just didn't care or they genuinely thought that a republican governor was the preferred choice despite voting overwhelmingly for Obama. Both options are confusing.

My best guess is that states which are solidly blue or red in Presidential elections do not have as much minority party turnout in the big cycles. Why go out and vote for Obama if you live in Mississippi, or Romney if you live in California? Those kinds of people are more energized when they are presented with local, winnable, elections and thus, will turn out to vote for a Senator/Rep/Governor where they would otherwise just sit at home and watch the other guy win their state.

This, for me, is the most compelling argument for getting rid of the Electoral College, though once Texas turns blue in ten or fifteen years, it's not going to matter very much because Republicans will never win a national election again once that happens.
(May 28, 2013 at 3:33 pm)Ryantology Wrote: My best guess is that states which are solidly blue or red in Presidential elections do not have as much minority party turnout in the big cycles. Why go out and vote for Obama if you live in Mississippi, or Romney if you live in California? Those kinds of people are more energized when they are presented with local, winnable, elections and thus, will turn out to vote for a Senator/Rep/Governor where they would otherwise just sit at home and watch the other guy win their state.

This, for me, is the most compelling argument for getting rid of the Electoral College, though once Texas turns blue in ten or fifteen years, it's not going to matter very much because Republicans will never win a national election again once that happens.
That's a good theory tbh, it makes sense. If I lived in California, I sure as hell wouldn't bother voting for Romney, it's a waste of effort. In fact, even here in Britain, I live in a very conservative town, it's a safe seat for the Conservative MP so sometimes I just don't bother voting at all, it's a waste of time.

Once Texas turns blue it's game over yeah. I mean if Florida somehow stays blue, the Dems don't really need Texas at all, but if Texas turns blue, the Republicans will have to move to the centre-left basically and the United States will be like the United Kingdom.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are religions that preach inequality for women and gays, traitors to their country? Greatest I am 129 5614 February 8, 2021 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Let’s take their guns BrokenQuill92 141 9841 November 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Iowa Caucus onlinebiker 15 990 February 7, 2020 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Two Old Pros - Doing Their Thing Minimalist 8 1041 November 28, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Palestinian rock throwing, but isnt that against their religion? Kimbi 1 514 September 4, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  FOX Being Dragged Down By Their Anchor Minimalist 10 1662 August 23, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Iowa Republican Party platform. Jehanne 14 1444 August 20, 2018 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Fools And Their Money! Minimalist 10 1121 May 18, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Why do countries in the middle east allow religion to have such an influence? GODZILLA 11 1273 April 12, 2018 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Ruckus123
  Finally Fox [Faux] News is being called out for their shit NuclearEnergy 3 1459 December 16, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician