Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pottery Barn Retracts Suggestion to use US Flag As A Tablecloth
Pottery Barn Retracts Suggestion to use US Flag As A Tablecloth
Huffington Post Article

“This was a regrettable use of our flag and it never should have happened. We sincerely apologize and have removed the post from our website. We want to assure our fans that HGTV is proud of the American flag and everything it symbolizes for our people.”

IMO, this is ridiculous. A flag is a piece of cloth. Do we really have to idolize it?
RE: Pottery Barn Retracts Suggestion to use US Flag As A Tablecloth
Some people are patriotic to the point of stupidity the same as others are theistic to the point of stupidity. Unfortunately, there is no cure for stupid.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The flag represents our country, but some people take it too far and idolize it as if it's sacred, all in the name of displaying over-zealous, hyperbolic patriotism.
Um...well....

[Image: american-flag-underwear-421bc81f-sz467x700-animate.jpg]
(June 16, 2013 at 7:25 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Do we really have to idolize it?

yes

[Image: 17-american-flag-speedo-0710-lg-8636817.jpg]

now get idolizin' pretty lady
(June 16, 2013 at 8:21 pm)cratehorus Wrote:
(June 16, 2013 at 7:25 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Do we really have to idolize it?

yes

[Image: 17-american-flag-speedo-0710-lg-8636817.jpg]

now get idolizin' pretty lady
hahahaha LOL
(June 16, 2013 at 8:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Um...well....

[Image: american-flag-underwear-421bc81f-sz467x700-animate.jpg]

I think that is the absolute best way we can honor our flag....well, unless we make them edible too.
Puts a whole new spin on the term - "run it up the flag pole."
(June 16, 2013 at 7:25 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Huffington Post Article

“This was a regrettable use of our flag and it never should have happened. We sincerely apologize and have removed the post from our website. We want to assure our fans that HGTV is proud of the American flag and everything it symbolizes for our people.”

IMO, this is ridiculous. A flag is a piece of cloth. Do we really have to idolize it?

As a True American™, I find this crap to be ridiculous. This is in the same category of stupidity as people who bitch about towelheads burning the American flag in rallies and shit. Protip for anyone who doesn't know; the only accepted way to dispose of the American flag is to light it on fire. Seriously, incineration is the only way you're supposed to dispose of a flag. Throwing it away or burying it or whatever is considered disrespectful. You can technically stomp on it, shit on it, piss on it, and puke on it, but if you light it up afterwards, it's considered properly disposed of, so every single dumb shit ignorant illiterate durkadurka who burns them in rallies? They're actually telling us just how much they love America. Of course when we burn their qurans, it's not the same and they get all butthurt, so...yeah, Troll-America is successful Troll.

Besides which the IMPRINT of the American flag [that is to say that it is not an actual flag meant to be run up a flagpole but is instead just the colors] is not considered the American flag. The American flag is ONLY the American flag WHEN IT'S A FUCKING FLAG. Durrrrrr. It's not like they're taking flags meant to be run up the flagstaff and putting them on a fucking table, and even if they were, who the fuck cares?! The British are known to dine on tableclothes with the Union Jack emblazoned on it and sometimes they even dine on tables covered with an actual Union Jack flag. Why? Well I dun fuckin' know, but I can guess it has something to do with the fact that since food is awesome and eating is awesome and drinking is awesome and flags are supposed to be representations of the nation you nominally have allegiance to, it's taken as a sort of "I'm doing something awesome with my nation's flag" thing. At least that's how I'd view it.

In honesty this is just nationalistic dogma, no better than Stalinist dogma or Catholic dogma. Dogma is dogma. Fuck it. Pottery Barn doesn't wanna sell Stars 'n' Stripes tableclothes? Fuck you, PB, I'll buy my Old Glory tablecloth from a company that DOESN'T have a giant stick-shaped-like-a-southern-baptist-cross-with-an-American-flag-on-the-end-of-it up their ass.

And, you know...that $20...well...it would determine their financial future...yeah...you know it. >.>
American flag worship has always baffled me. In my country only crazy nationalists worship the flag. It's just a piece of fabric...

I wonder if it just fills the hole left by the lack of monarch? lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6 of 7 great seven is use Latin ABC Interaktive 26 2088 April 28, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Red Flag Laws Won't Work. onlinebiker 203 10354 August 26, 2019 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trump Claims He Can Use Executive Order to End Birthright Citizenship Seraphina 43 3121 November 2, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What news sources do you guys use and/or trust? EgoDeath 13 1081 October 12, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Use this to check your irony meter. Gawdzilla Sama 5 530 August 6, 2018 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  "Republicunt": why use terms like this? shadow 162 22903 November 27, 2017 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I posed a question for these flag loving Trumpsters and they did not like it NuclearEnergy 23 5588 September 29, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  I don't understand; why do people defend things such as the confederate flag NuclearEnergy 80 28123 May 18, 2017 at 1:21 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Don't use finger print scanners: Jehanne 24 3354 October 31, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  In addition to the server, Hilary "abandoned secure line to use home phone" ReptilianPeon 57 5317 May 21, 2016 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus