Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite quotes from literature.
Favorite quotes from literature.
I`ll start this with a joke out of James Joyce`s novel Ulysses:

Quote:Why has there never been antisemetism in Ireland?

Because the Irish never let the jews in in the first place.
RE: Favorite quotes from literature.
Well, the Hitchhiker's series is veritable gold mine of great quotes, but here's a good one for starters...

Douglas Adams Wrote:This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
Quote:This proves two things:

Firstly, that God moves in extremely mysterious, not to say, circuitous ways. God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, [ie., everybody.] to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

Secondly, the Earth's a Libra.

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch.

If you haven't read this already, it's a very funny book about the end of the world, as prophesized by the bible, except the angel and devil stationed on earth have grown to like earth so much they conspire together to stop the apocalypse.
Even as a gay man I find something intensely erotic about this description from Dracula.

Quote:“There was a deliberate voluptuousness that was both thrilling and repulsive.
And as she arched her neck she actually licked her lips like an animal till I could see in the moonlight the moisture
Then lapped the white, sharp teeth.
Lower and lower went her head. I closed my eyes in a languorous ecstasy and waited. ”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut.
(August 1, 2013 at 11:45 am)Minimalist Wrote: "So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut.

And, once again, the Pithy Award goes to Min.
(August 1, 2013 at 11:44 am)GothicLitGeek Wrote: Even as a gay man I find something intensely erotic about this description from Dracula.

Quote:“There was a deliberate voluptuousness that was both thrilling and repulsive.
And as she arched her neck she actually licked her lips like an animal till I could see in the moonlight the moisture
Then lapped the white, sharp teeth.
Lower and lower went her head. I closed my eyes in a languorous ecstasy and waited. ”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula

I know I need a cold shower now. Been a while since I read that book, might have to dig it back out.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Almost anything by Stephen Crane.

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, “Is it good, friend?”
“It is bitter—bitter,” he answered;

“But I like it
“Because it is bitter,
“And because it is my heart.”
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I myself will attempt to garner the Most Verbose award.

Quote:“When the mystery of the connection goes, love goes. It's that simple. This suggests that it isn't love that is so important to us but the mystery itself. The love connection may be merely a device to put us in contact with the mystery, and we long for love to last so that the ecstacy of being near the mystery will last. It is contrary to the nature of mystery to stand still. Yet it's always there, somewhere, a world on the other side of the mirror (or the Camel pack), a promise in the next pair of eyes that smile at us. We glimpse it when we stand still.
The romance of new love, the romance of solitude, the romance of objecthood, the romance of ancient pyramids and distant stars are means of making contact with the mystery. When it comes to perpetuating it, however, I got no advice. But I can and will remind you of two of the most important facts I know:
1. Everything is part of it.
2. It's never too late to have a happy childhood.”
― Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

But there is also a better known pithy quote in that book.

Quote:“There are two kinds of people in this world: Those who believe there are two kinds of people in this world and those who are smart enough to know better.”
“In the realm of the unknown, difficulties must be viewed as a hidden treasure! Usually, the more difficult, the better. It's not as valuable if your difficulties stem from your own inner struggle. But when difficulties arise out of increasing objective resistance, that's marvelous!”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The First Circle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silly Media Quotes Foxaèr 5 537 July 25, 2023 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  English literature is the best Interaktive 4 644 August 16, 2022 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Morality in Literature Belacqua 7 374 November 27, 2020 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  College Literature.... Help me out if you can. Brian37 3 575 April 20, 2020 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Favorite Scenes from Favorite Fiims chimp3 46 3487 February 10, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Athene
  Favorite book quotes BrokenQuill92 14 2363 February 20, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Your favorite tv shows NOW vs. your favorite tv shows of all time Casca 14 1735 January 15, 2017 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Bob Dylan awarded Nobel Prize in Literature. Gawdzilla Sama 11 995 October 13, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Quotes from my favorite books BrokenQuill92 3 1154 March 27, 2014 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: sven
  Literature? Something completely different 10 2037 March 13, 2013 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot