Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 1:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my intro
my intro
Hello, I go by Little Billy on YT. I have been an atheist for a few years after several years of deism. Before that, I was an evangelical Xian with plans on converting the lost to Christ.

I see the world with some serious problems, and religion is a big one. But rather than try to end religion, I prefer to watch it die on the vine as science continues to prove its value. In the meantime, we need to learn to live together and allow each other to be different. To further that endeavor, I hope to engage some religious folks and start some serious dialogue on how to "live and let live."

MLK: "I know that ultimately love is the only answer to the world's problems. And I'm going to talk about it wherever I go."
RE: my intro
hi and welcome Smile
Guten Abend
Hi Little Billy, and welcome.

I make a point to read everybody's welcome post in this forum.

I have observed several of my peers - my friends, and my family, and my acquaintances fall away from Christ. Now you are delighted about this, and clearly are entitled to your feelings.

I mean to raise this point with you. Your wording says that you had "plans" to convert the "lost" to Christ. An Evangelical Christian doesn't plan, they do. And they don't need to plan to "convert the lost", what an utterly unappealing line - rather they witness the Gospel.

I can appreciate that you felt that you were an evangelical Christian, however I feel strongly that Evangelicals practise witnessing and by that they, or rather we, are defined.

Again welcome, and I look forward to a dialogue with you.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
In other words, you ain't no true Scottsman!

Apparently its incredibly easy to get disowned by the devout, yet incredibly difficult to escape their self righteous judgement.

I try to make a point to visit intro threads just to mute out this idiot above me.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Howdy!
Cunt
(July 3, 2013 at 12:31 am)Little Billy Wrote: MLK: "I know that ultimately love is the only answer to the world's problems. And I'm going to talk about it wherever I go."
True words, whoever MLK is. Makes me think of that line from Disintegration: "If only I could fill my heart with love". Blush

edit: Oh, also: Welcome
"Men see clearly enough the barbarity of all ages — except their own!" — Ernest Crosby.
(July 3, 2013 at 4:35 am)missluckie26 Wrote: In other words, you ain't no true Scottsman!

Apparently its incredibly easy to get disowned by the devout, yet incredibly difficult to escape their self righteous judgement.

All and all, I think I prefer this post facto demotion to the Muslim penalty for apostasy.

To Aractus I wonder if you are capable of the following mind game. Suppose, some day in a currently unimaginable future, doubts creep in and accumulate until one day you wake up to realize you've lost your faith. By your current understanding, would you say you had never been a true Christian? Do you believe that all apostates are essentially those who never correctly/entirely embraced true faith to begin with?

If, miraculously, you were to answer my hypothetical question in the affirmative I'd want to ask you how exactly one is supposed to know who is and who is not a true Christian prior to the loss of their faith. If you answered no, how could you be sure our new member could not have answered the same before he lost his faith? Or maybe you'd prefer to blow smoke up my ass?

MORE IMPORTANTLY .. welcome little Billy! And may I congratulate you on how well hung you are? Personally I always refer to my member as "little whateverist" because I just dwarf that guy. You I assume need to use a wheelbarrow to get around. My hat's off to you, man.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intro DocIllinois 14 1197 August 6, 2021 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Belated intro Dom 20 1727 September 29, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Intro Reltzik 21 995 September 26, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Intro Bow Before Zeus 15 1876 November 14, 2017 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  intro JamieBra 28 5148 September 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  MY INTRO rjh4 is back 7 1311 August 13, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Intro Court Jester 25 4976 June 24, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: KerimF
Bug I guess I should intro Monkeybuttorama 21 3855 May 26, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  intro Otisknows 17 2427 February 6, 2017 at 12:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Slightly Generic and Dramatic Intro Thread Redoubtable 16 3350 February 5, 2017 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Otisknows