Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study suggests that Neandertals shared speech and language with modern humans
Study suggests that Neandertals shared speech and language with modern humans
http://scienceblog.com/64490/study-sugge...rn-humans/

Quote:Fast-accumulating data seem to indicate that our close cousins, the Neandertals, were much more similar to us than imagined even a decade ago. But did they have anything like modern speech and language? And if so, what are the implications for understanding present-day linguistic diversity? The Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics in Nijmegen researchers Dan Dediu and Stephen C. Levinson argue in their paper in Frontiers in Language Sciences that modern language and speech can be traced back to the last common ancestor we shared with the Neandertals roughly half a million years ago.

I'm always uncomfortable with these distinctions of various ancient humans as "species." We already know at HNS and HSS interbred as did HNS and the Denisovans. That would seem to throw a monkey wrench into the more strict definition of "species" to begin with.
RE: Study suggests that Neandertals shared speech and language with modern humans
BUT WHEN DID NEANDERTHALS EVOLVE INTO UNICORNS HUH
RE: Study suggests that Neandertals shared speech and language with modern humans
(July 10, 2013 at 2:48 am)Ryantology Wrote: BUT WHEN DID NEANDERTHALS EVOLVE INTO UNICORNS HUH

Just before they evolved into narwhals.
We probably did more than that... like use them as slaves and rape their females, and perhaps contributed to their extinction.
Re: RE: Study suggests that Neandertals shared speech and language with modern humans
(July 10, 2013 at 5:46 am)Insanity x Wrote:
(July 10, 2013 at 2:48 am)Ryantology Wrote: BUT WHEN DID NEANDERTHALS EVOLVE INTO UNICORNS HUH

Just before they evolved into narwhals.

(July 10, 2013 at 1:04 am)Minimalist Wrote: I'm always uncomfortable with these distinctions of various ancient humans as "species." We already know at HNS and HSS interbred as did HNS and the Denisovans. That would seem to throw a monkey wrench into the more strict definition of "species" to begin with.

Well species has always been kind of nebulous.

Wolves and domesticated dogs are called different species and they can interbreed. There are a lot of animals like that.

Nature doesn't confirm perfectly black and white with how humanity tries to describe it.

I've read other studies that said even though modern European humans have a certain amount of neanderthal DNA that offspring was a rare occurence even when we tried to interbreed with them. We were just almost too far apart for it to ever be successful.

Thanks for the study. I hadn't seen it before.

(July 10, 2013 at 6:42 am)little_monkey Wrote: We probably did more than that... like use them as slaves and rape their females, and perhaps contributed to their extinction.

I rather doubt that. Neanderthals were pretty tough hombres. If we did contribute to their extinction it was probably just because of competition more than direct conflict.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(July 10, 2013 at 7:00 am)Rahul Wrote:
(July 10, 2013 at 6:42 am)little_monkey Wrote: We probably did more than that... like use them as slaves and rape their females, and perhaps contributed to their extinction.

I rather doubt that. Neanderthals were pretty tough hombres. If we did contribute to their extinction it was probably just because of competition more than direct conflict.

Tell that to Jared Diamond.

http://www.helium.com/items/1842942-the-...anderthals
Quote:Well species has always been kind of nebulous.

Which would be an excellent reason to stop using the term.
Who says that Neanderthals are extinct? Haven't you ever watched Jersey Shore?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Me smell shit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NASA is launching humans again Fake Messiah 34 2824 May 27, 2020 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  How humans are still evolving I_am_not_mafia 26 2940 June 9, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Near Death Experience Study Opinions? orthodox-man 62 9526 May 1, 2018 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Penguins the Size of Humans (Fossils found) The Valkyrie 22 3677 February 23, 2017 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Humans in Florida in 14,500 BC Minimalist 10 1965 May 14, 2016 at 9:51 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Will modern society slow the progress of change? Heat 11 2891 May 10, 2016 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  The AWARE study. Jehanne 3 1038 February 8, 2016 at 3:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Humans - Are we really unique? Napoléon 24 7149 July 14, 2015 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  New study on mass extinction of species abaris 19 5214 June 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Peer reviewed study published in Science Journal turns out to be fraud. YGninja 82 11130 May 28, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Jenny A