Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Near Death Experience Study Opinions?
Near Death Experience Study Opinions?
Howdy all,

I recently found out that Sam Parnia (researcher of Near Death Experiences) was on the Dr. Oz show, as one of the other users on here started a thread on that. As some of you probably remember, Parnia is the doctor responsible for the AWARE studies, where he is trying to scientifically test Near Death Experiences.

For those who are unaware, the AWARE study has many tests put in place that attempt to study 

a) what happens to the brain at "death"

b) attempts to test when experiences occur, (if NDEs are true, then they should occur when the brain is absolutely dormant)

c) sets up hidden images as targets in places in the hospital room above the patients bed to see whether or not a patient claiming to have hovered over their bodies during an operation can identify these targets. If they can actually identify these targets without prior knowledge of targets being there, this could be big.

I'm sure you are well aware of the first aware study done a few years ago which basically failed. Parnia did not prove anything big. However, now he is working on aware ii, which is supposed to be published in about 2020 or 2021. This time, he hoped to get more people, and put targets in more rooms to try to prove OBEs. While aware ii is still going on, Parnia has recently been coming on to tv and saying that he has scientific proof that a life after death exists. I wanted to ask you your opinion on:

1) Do you think this means that some patients he is using for aware ii have already seen hidden targets during their OBEs?

2) do you think that even though this study is supposed to be scientific that he may be biased and lie about NDEs being proof of a life after death?

I just don't know what to think of this.

https://www.doctoroz.com/episode/medical...6849591001
RE: Near Death Experience Study Opinions?
For fuck's sake ...

It's pretty clear nothing we say will ever convince you, and we've tried our best to address all this for you time and time again. So why keep repeating the same questions over and over? If you don't want to be convinced, you won't ever be convinced! Keep clinging to your bullshit, I don't care. Just don't act like you care about the truth.

And no, you do know what you think of this, lol ...
Ho-hum.  Dr. Oz, huh?  Do you consider that grad school?

Quote:Science writer Mike McRae has noted "While Parnia's work contributes valuable data to understanding NDE as a cultural phenomenon, his speculations do indeed sit on the brink of pseudoscience."[29] Neurologist Michael O'Brien has written that "most people would not find it necessary to postulate such a separation between mind and brain to explain the events," and suggested that further research is likely to provide a physical explanation for near-death experiences.[5] The psychologist Susan Blackmore appeared with Parnia and Peter Fenwick on a BBC documentary called "The Day I Died" and disagreed with their interpretations of NDEs, finding purely physical explanations to be more plausible.[

From the Wiki link on Parnia.
Ah, Dr Oz, the journal where every credible researcher goes to publish their groundbreaking "scientific proof".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 13, 2018 at 1:06 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Ah, Dr Oz, the journal where every credible researcher goes to publish their groundbreaking "scientific proof".

Between all the 'super foods' and 'miracle cures' he regularly discovers, I'm surprised he even has the time to talk about this kind of 'groundbreaking research'.
I have no interest in near death experience, I want evidence of a post death experience
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

The clue is in the word 'near'. Seen lots of dead bodies.
(April 13, 2018 at 3:18 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I have no interest in near death experience, I want evidence of a post death experience

Outstandingly good point. People have 'near' death experiences all the time. For instance, shitting yourself just before that runaway bus turns you into meat salsa qualifies as an 'experience'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 13, 2018 at 1:00 pm)orthodox-man Wrote: Howdy all,

I recently found out that Sam Parnia (researcher of Near Death Experiences) was on the Dr. Oz show, as one of the other users on here started a thread on that. As some of you probably remember, Parnia is the doctor responsible for the AWARE studies, where he is trying to scientifically test Near Death Experiences.

For those who are unaware, the AWARE study has many tests put in place that attempt to study 

a) what happens to the brain at "death"

b) attempts to test when experiences occur, (if NDEs are true, then they should occur when the brain is absolutely dormant)

c) sets up hidden images as targets in places in the hospital room above the patients bed to see whether or not a patient claiming to have hovered over their bodies during an operation can identify these targets. If they can actually identify these targets without prior knowledge of targets being there, this could be big.

I'm sure you are well aware of the first aware study done a few years ago which basically failed. Parnia did not prove anything big. However, now he is working on aware ii, which is supposed to be published in about 2020 or 2021. This time, he hoped to get more people, and put targets in more rooms to try to prove OBEs. While aware ii is still going on, Parnia has recently been coming on to tv and saying that he has scientific proof that a life after death exists. I wanted to ask you your opinion on:

1) Do you think this means that some patients he is using for aware ii have already seen hidden targets during their OBEs?

2) do you think that even though this study is supposed to be scientific that he may be biased and lie about NDEs being proof of a life after death?

I just don't know what to think of this.

https://www.doctoroz.com/episode/medical...6849591001

The only real study that can be had on this subject is the psychological reason gullible people buy BULLSHIT.

"Near" does not mean "after", that gives it away right there.

If surviving death were possible you could come back from decapitation.

If you come out of that window then you were NEVER DEAD. If you go beyond that window, YOU STAY DEAD.

It is possible for a doctor or nurse to not find vitals, but have a patient come out of that window. That does not mean the person was dead.
Wasn't it Dr Oz with the miracle cure beet juice and romaine lettuce based cancer fighting theraputic douche ??

You can get a treatment in Tijuana for just $350 now.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The AWARE study. Jehanne 3 1041 February 8, 2016 at 3:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  New study on mass extinction of species abaris 19 5282 June 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Peer reviewed study published in Science Journal turns out to be fraud. YGninja 82 11399 May 28, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Kennewick Man Study On The Way Minimalist 4 1481 September 1, 2014 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
Tongue Study:Drunk Fish Totally Impress Sober Fish. MountainsWinAgain 2 1051 May 23, 2014 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Your memory rewrites the past and edits it with new experiences, study finds Gooders1002 6 2197 March 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tor
  NASA Study Concludes When Civilization Will End, And It's Not Looking Good for Us Gooders1002 9 3762 March 22, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  Out-of-body experience under fMRI pocaracas 13 2312 March 16, 2014 at 9:06 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Pollen Study Indicates the Collapse of the LBA Minimalist 7 3196 October 25, 2013 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Owlix
  Study suggests that Neandertals shared speech and language with modern humans Minimalist 13 6399 July 10, 2013 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Full Circle