Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New study on mass extinction of species
New study on mass extinction of species
Quote: The loss of biodiversity is one of the most critical current environmental problems, threatening valuable ecosystem services and human well-being (1–7). A growing body of evidence indicates that current species extinction rates are higher than the pre-human background rate (8–15), with hundreds of anthropogenic vertebrate extinctions documented in prehistoric and historic times

From Science Advances

http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/1...00253.full
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: New study on mass extinction of species
We're good at what we do.   Sleepy

I think it's important, before anyone jumps down my throat, that we try to preserve biodiversity, ofc.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
This isn't so surprising to be honest, with human abuses of the environment this is bound to happen

It's also a chain reaction of sorts, when one species goes extinct it can lead to a decline in others that used to hunt it for food.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Even without abuse it's going to happen.  There is no such thing as a free lunch, and we, as a species...require a whole hell of alot of lunch.

Quote:It's also a chain reaction of sorts, when one species goes extinct it can lead to a decline in others that used to hunt it for food.
-and if we didn't erect such an impregnable internal wall between ourselves and "all those animals" we might realize the implications for us....as -the- apex predator of planet earth, eh?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I think at some point the only animals that will still be around will be those we domesticate, and those that can adapt to cities. Maybe sad, but likely true.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

First, watch the video.  If you cannot see it in your country, click on "Show Content" below to unhide a bit of the text that is relevant.  For others, you should watch the video first, as the hidden text is a bit of a spoiler.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(June 20, 2015 at 1:55 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I think at some point the only animals that will still be around will be those we domesticate, and those that can adapt to cities. Maybe sad, but likely true.

You missed the part about us going extinct too.
Dinosaurs stretched their -dominance- out for 135 million years.  We, as a single species, are -slightly- more capable than they ever were (even adding all of their success together), and we're what, 2 million years and change in, at the most generous of estimates.?  

The sun only has so much gas left in it's tank......but best estimates give us about 1billion years or so before it begins to make earth inhospitable to all forms of life known....the very upper limit of what (all of)our biology can handle -even by adaptation, by 2.8.......just a rock. Right? We have something that they don't...something that helps us when biology and adaptation fail us. Technology....and a hell of a headstart should there ever arise another tech using species like ourselves.

We only have to win what, 10 for the dinosaurs 1, starting with the advantageous position we are in now, to put us on the -ultimate- earthly podium.."last men standing before lights out"..and then we only have to drag our asses across the line for another 1.8 or so....to call it GG? We might actually manage that.
(June 20, 2015 at 3:27 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Dinosaurs stretched their -dominance- out for 135 million years.  We, as a single species, are -slightly- more capable than they ever were (even adding all of their success together), and we're what, 2 million years and change in, at the most generous of estimates.?  

But the dinos weren't as well equipped and willing to destroy their environment as we are. So lights out will probably happen a lot sooner than within 1 to 2.8 billion or even 135 million years.
IDK, that's the sort of apocalypse that people have been predicting for thousands of years.....but has failed...year after year, day after day, hour after hour, minute after minute.....to come to pass.  Here we are.
(until we aren't, I suppose, of course.)

I don;t think that it will be men which cause the extinction of men any more than dinosaurs where the cause of the extinction of dinosaurs. It's an awfully anthropocentric notion. There's plenty else out there looking to gut us at any given moment, we are all safer with each other, objectively, rather than without each other...and that takes into account war and murder and all sorts of nasty shit. That's who we are. I'm not a fortune teller, though, so...leave that to those interested.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Down Even if we don't kill ourselves off as a species. Brian37 33 2149 October 12, 2021 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes blue grey brain 6 1020 November 25, 2018 at 10:17 am
Last Post: unfogged
  Near Death Experience Study Opinions? orthodox-man 62 9784 May 1, 2018 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Mass extinction date set by science. ignoramus 74 19004 October 29, 2017 at 1:33 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Have we failed as a species? ignoramus 50 10051 March 9, 2017 at 7:54 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
Exclamation Can you give me scientific references to mass loss during the pass over? theBorg 26 4549 August 18, 2016 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The AWARE study. Jehanne 3 1039 February 8, 2016 at 3:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  New Dinosaur Species... Minimalist 12 3939 July 17, 2015 at 6:09 am
Last Post: abaris
  Peer reviewed study published in Science Journal turns out to be fraud. YGninja 82 11269 May 28, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Kennewick Man Study On The Way Minimalist 4 1476 September 1, 2014 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Jackalope