Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sikh temple in a suburban neighborhood? Tell me it isn't so.
Sikh temple in a suburban neighborhood? Tell me it isn't so.
There was an article in the local paper about the neighborhood I grew up in.
http://columbian.com/article/20090923/NE...1/ARCHIVES
A typical suburban middle class, mostly white neighborhood. As long as I can remember there was an athletic club in the neighborhood. That club closed down a couple years ago and was purchased last year to be used as a Sikh temple. Well I guess the neighbors are having a fit and went so far as to hire a lawyer to try and stop this from happening. They claim it's about neighborhood impact, traffic and such, and has nothing to do with religion. I say bullshit. There are neighborhoods all over town with churches in them. If it were a nice, white Christian church going in I'd bet my first born that no one in that neighborhood would have said a word. As far as traffic goes the athletic club is 2 blocks from the main road. I don't see how that's going to clog the neighborhood streets.
binnyCoffee
RE: Sikh temple in a suburban neighborhood? Tell me it isn't so.
I would be fine with a Sikh temple. It is one of those religions you hardly ever have problems with. The last time Sikhs became news in my area is when they resisted the removal of illegal aliens that sought refuge in their temple, about 8 years ago.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Yeah, just think, it could be jehovahs witnesses, or evangelicals.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

Sikhs are a lot easier to get along with than most Christians.

I would be livid if anyone were going to build a Sikh temple,a mosque, synagogue, Buddhist temple,Christian Church, one of those truly vulgar Mormon temples, a school, stadium,shopping centre or fast food outlet near my house.

WHY? Property values ,noise and traffic. (and with the fast food places, stink and the rats)

Here,it's all about zoning laws and how corrupt the local council happens to be. A lot of them are pretty bad. Mine isn't too bad.
It's really interesting to see how society is like in different places in such situations.

In Singapore I don't think we've ever had much problems with building structures. Not that I know of at least. I've seen two temples side by side which I thought was kinda odd but interesting some how lol
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
I have a best friend that is a Sikh. They are universal in their respect for other faiths, which includes acknowledging Jesus as a prophet. Odd because they are a 'warrior' breed with a bloody history with Pakistan. I have a lot of respect anyway.
Some of them are indeed really nice people. I have Sikh friends too.
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
(September 25, 2009 at 2:12 am)Retorth Wrote: Some of them are indeed really nice people. I have Sikh friends too.

I worked with a Sikh woman here,who was lovely. My memories of Indians in Singapore are mainly of Tamil shopkeepers who overcharged me [just a little] ,but with such grace and good humour I really didn't mind. I remember huge,dignified Sikh gentlemen guarding jewelry shops with huge, dignified shot guns.

Did I mention was once threatened at gun point by a drunken, non-existent triad member in a bar ? Suffice to say I was not at Raffles at the time. At that time,according to Lee, there were no triads in Singapore,just as there were no prostitutes in Malaysia according to their president.
(September 25, 2009 at 4:15 am)padraic Wrote: I remember huge,dignified Sikh gentlemen guarding jewelry shops with huge, dignified shot guns.

Singapore doesn't condone weapons except for law enforcement officers and they only carry revolvers. I only know of Malaysian security officers who carry shotguns in shopping malls though. Are you sure you saw these men in Singapore carrying shotguns?
(September 25, 2009 at 4:35 am)Retorth Wrote:
(September 25, 2009 at 4:15 am)padraic Wrote: I remember huge,dignified Sikh gentlemen guarding jewelry shops with huge, dignified shot guns.

Singapore doesn't condone weapons except for law enforcement officers and they only carry revolvers. I only know of Malaysian security officers who carry shotguns in shopping malls though. Are you sure you saw these men in Singapore carrying shotguns?

YES; 1969, As I said,guarding jewelry shops,

BUT it WAS 40 years ago. I'm aware memory can play tricks, even though I'd swear that's what I saw, many times.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] When God isn't the answer to the question, then what is? Catharsis 55 6886 May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3519 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9087 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92858 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  Why do atheists think Original Sin isn't real? ErGingerbreadMandude 34 6758 January 21, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why the bible ISN'T evidence. Socratic Meth Head 34 7764 April 11, 2016 at 12:57 am
Last Post: an0nemus
  No, Atheism isn't a Religion Napoléon 14 3255 December 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God" Heat 46 8088 October 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mikazuki
  That's pretty important isn’t it because if awaralarki 8 3203 August 8, 2015 at 8:07 am
Last Post: c172
  Who do you tell you are atheist? Sedna 43 7079 October 24, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Dystopia