Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 11:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human Survival
Human Survival
I've been thinking recently (oh no!) about our species, and our ultimate goal to survive. I was thinking about how in the past, primitive people just survived off the scraps they found, unaware what their survival would mean for the world. We became advanced and learned how to expand, and thrive. Now, we are faced with extinction again, not from animals, starvation, disease, but from cosmic disasters, such as asteroids, supernovae and our own destruction, nukes, war, etc. I was talking to my friends recently, and they said that humans will last about 2000 years more. 2000 puny years?!?! I think we deserve more than that! We need to be AT LEAST a two planet species. If one is destroyed, the other can come back. What do you think?
RE: Human Survival
The fuck?????
I am certain humanity has more than two thousand years.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The first humanoids developed around 150,000-200,000 years ago. Modern man has been around for, what? 75,000-50,000 years? We're not going anywhere. Unless we blow up the world... And even then, there would be a number of survivors.
I don't know much about this subject, it's a gray area to me. Assuming we don't kill ourselves, I know that the Earth is habitable for about another billion years.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

We would actualy also survive climate change.

Except for the arabs...... So maybe it would be worth trying Tongue
I don't think we deserve another planet, considering how we've treated the first one.
Homo sapiens have existed for about 200,000 years. But the Homo genus is around 2.4 million years old.

About 50,000 years ago our culture transitioned into the Upper Paleolithic Revolution or Great Leap Forward. This is when certain distinctive aspects of modern behavior become apparent in the archaelogical record. Scientists debate what really happened with us at that time.

Anyway, back to the OP.

Yes! We've got to get independently established on a second planet. If we can manage that our chances for a greatly extended lifetime of our species is much better.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
I'm not so sure we are worth saving.

For every Mozart there are a million Godschilds. Bad odds.
If humanity doesn't change as a collective, we won't last long, for sure. People need to stop putting petty, materialistic bullshit before the earth that born them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Nuclear war survival guide. Jehanne 64 5130 March 3, 2022 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What are our chances of survival for a long time? Macoleco 39 3822 September 4, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Brian37