Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Disunity of the Bible
The Disunity of the Bible
I've seen it argued that the Bible is a unified, cohesive text. This couldn't be farther from the truth, and I think anyone who argues that hasn't looked really hard at the Bible.

The Reasonable Doubts podcast did a two part discussion called "The Disunity of the Bible" and I recommend both theists and atheists listen to it. Both parts are a little over an hour making it a 2hr15min discussion. I haven't even finished the first part, but what I've heard so far is so good, that I want to recommend it to you all. http://doubtreligion.blogspot.com/

Reasonable Doubts is available on iTunes.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: The Disunity of the Bible
(September 25, 2009 at 11:09 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: This couldn't be farther from the truth, and I think anyone who argues that hasn't looked really hard at the Bible.

Stay on the fence why don't you.
Take a good hard look at your Bible, why don't you.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
One cannot take a good look... with a blindfold over one's eyes...

Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
*points to own siggy* Smile
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
It makes me laugh how you think Christians and Jews when it comes to purely the old testament would put together the bible thinking that it contradicted itself. They get it, and billions of Christians today get it. You don't and you're not supposed to... erm Thinking
You say they get it. The fact they agree means fuck-all. They have their own way of explaining all the BS, so what? That doesn't mean they get it. Or that it's not BS.

The following line is a statement for anyone, not just fr0d0 and I am not mentioning faith: Ubiquity of agreement or belief is never valid evidence for such beliefs or agreements.

EvF
The fact that those who understand it can attest to it's credibility means nothing because those that don't understand it don't.

So if I didn't understand evolution, I could legitimately say (like you) that it is complete rubbish and be correct then?

Hmm. Nice logic Thinking
This is all starting with the assumption that you're right. That's the problem with your argument :p: It's not an argument.

As I said, the fact they agree on it means fuck-all. It doesn't mean they have a special understanding on it. They need...you know what.

EvF
Quote:I've seen it argued that the Bible is a unified, cohesive text

Which contains two creation tales and two versions of the flood tale among other fuck ups. Only people with their heads firmly up their own rectums would maintain that this shit is unified and cohesive.
It was clearly cobbled together from disparate sources.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7574 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy