Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:49 pm

Poll: have you eve omitted th unpardonble sin according to the bible
This poll is closed.
Yep
72.73%
8 72.73%
Nope
27.27%
3 27.27%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Advice needed from real people
Some Advice needed from real people
Hey folks

I'm new to this forum and I hope to make it a place where I can learn from you fine folks. I do though come with a question.

I left Christianity 'little over a month ago because after the year I've had i cannot believe in God after the times I've asked for peace and never received it.

So here's my quetion. When I was a Christian I read about the 'unforgivable sin' I became deeply troubled... sought advice and received it from Christian apologists.

Then one day I was talking to my self verblly working stuff out and I said that the Holy Spirit is like a demon. When I was speaking though my thoughts were because they are both spirits and they both possess people well thts according to the view ive herd

So that got me worried I went into a deep depression thinking I've committed it and only since leaving it all behind have I started tonfind peace.

The question still haunts me. Christian apologists say that hat I said is not what Jesus was talking about. I would believe them but so many Christians have so many views on everything that its impossible to believe their opinion.

So since I know atheists agnostics deist and theists all know the bible and generally dont bullshit the answer do I folks think by me saying it that I have committed it???

I am letting go of if it all but this still worries me.

Cheers folks.
Rants and Raves from an Ex-Christian http://walkofthemonkeyman.blogspot.co.uk/
RE: Some Advice needed from real people
You mean blaspheming the fucking holy ghost?

Nope. Don't think so.
Why are you asking this on an atheist forum? I would say the majority of us don't believe in sin, let alone that of the unforgivable sort.
According to Christian standards (ex-Christian that I am), until the religion reclaims You as a Christian, You have committed the "unpardonable sin".

Basically, "support us and you aren't going to hell".

Kinda greedy, huh?
Could "unforgivable sin" be labeled an oxymoron, considering the practice of Confession?
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Hi Rebecca but this is under a Christianity / religion thread so I am asking according to the Christian bible that most people here have read. So I'm asking for an as is answer not so much a faith based one. E.g a sceptics interpretation of it
Sin is merely the disease Christians must conivince you exists within you in order to sell you the cure.

It isn't real.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 8, 2013 at 8:09 pm)themonkeyman Wrote: So since I know atheists agnostics deist and theists all know the bible and generally dont bullshit the answer

If there's one thing we tend to have in common here, it's that we can "bullshit the answer" with the best of them. *flashes his badge*

If by unforgivable sin you mean blaspheming against the holy spirit, the answer to that is like many other such questions-- it's fairly open to interpretation. Some hardcore literalist types will probably tell you that mouthing the words is enough to damn you, because it probably came from the heart. Others would explain that the sin as described in the Bible entailed a deliberate and malicious attempt to misrepresent the holy spirit in order to call Jesus' authority into question, and that what you described doesn't seem to be anything like that.

I think that for those who leave god and religion behind, there are going to be a few mental/psychological land mines that you have to either set off or disarm. Something as deeply spiritual and meaningful as religious belief isn't shaken off all at once and not without some scarring. You will probably have a few of these episodes where some entrenched belief keeps digging at you until you realize that it's nonsense. And with each of those episodes that you overcome, you feel a bit more free.

It's a process. It gets better with time.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Yes, you have. Now you know you're going to hell, be sure to party during your time on Earth. After all, this life is all you have before eternal damnation.
(August 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Yes, you have. Now you know you're going to hell, be sure to party during your time on Earth. After all, this life is all you have before eternal damnation.

Sweet and where do u suppose you will end up lol. Lay up on me I'm only just starting to disbelieve I wish I was where u are. Believe me!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do some people condone hell? SuicideCommando01 45 5477 May 22, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  No Tower Of Babel Needed Minimalist 0 343 March 28, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Help needed for atheist/science films, CG especially skydivephil 3 952 December 14, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: c172
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9502 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Advice needed MikeGian1984 20 2599 November 19, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Are some people truly better off believing? Razzle 45 8795 May 28, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Long term advice when debating theists. Brian37 33 6925 May 6, 2015 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is God really real or are people simply deluded? RobertE 117 18137 March 14, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Appointed leader in each age needed for religion to be true. Mystic 17 4035 October 24, 2014 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheist parenting advice - Church run preschool? EvolvedKnight 13 2700 March 13, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle