Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them?
Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them?
And does anyone else have examples of this?

My father-in-law is really bad at this.  Anytime we get rain or something and he doesn't want it to rain, he says it's because God is punishing him. 

Example conversation:

"I wanted to paint today, but it's raining.  God must not want me to paint."

Pretty much verbatim there.  Apparently God cooked up rain specifically because one person wanted to paint, but he didn't want them to.   I'm wondering just how much a god would care if someone decided to PAINT.   Enough to send an entire storm through a large area?  Seems pretty important.

I mean a lot of religious people tend to have a high opinion of themselves, because they think they're so special because God created them specifically.  But this goes even further into the territory of ridiculous.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them?
Simple psych explanation.

Everyone's God is a personal god (invented by them, for them).
Makes sense that he is the centre of "his" personal universe.

This is one of the strongest religious carrots...
If he drops religion, he is no longer the centre of his universe! Who in their right mind would do that!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Your F-i-L sounds like a nut case.  Religion does that to people.
Are you sure he's not winding you up? It sounds to me like an excuse to go down the pub.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
"I wanted to paint today, but it's raining.  God must not want me to paint."

Maybe it wasn't so much that God didn't want him to paint as it was that God was answering the prayers of farmers whose crops needed rain.
I think everyone feels like the world revolves around them. Mentally speaking, it does. We don't all attribute these feelings to a higher power, but we all have them to some degree. For example, when someone does something that pisses you off, you might think they did it just to piss you off.
Well that's maybe his way of explaining something. While it may sound weird, I don't really think that there is anything wrong with it. I think you are worrying about a hill of bananas here. Just ignore it, that is really the best policy. It's not hurting you, so why bother?

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
Hell, it seems that's the whole point of being a christian in America, at least.  Strokes your ego, gives you a whole group of people to look down on (with plenty of company, BTW) and you have to do or sacrifice absolutely nothing. It's like getting a handjob and being told, "Oooh, this is the biggest dick I've ever seen!"
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

(June 2, 2017 at 9:49 am)Harry Nevis Wrote: Hell, it seems that's the whole point of being a christian in America, at least.  Strokes your ego, gives you a whole group of people to look down on (with plenty of company, BTW) and you have to do or sacrifice absolutely nothing. It's like getting a handjob and being told, "Oooh, this is the biggest dick I've ever seen!"

I never get used to that . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 2, 2017 at 3:42 am)It_Was_me Wrote: Well that's maybe his way of explaining something. While it may sound weird, I don't really think that there is anything wrong with it. I think you are worrying about a hill of bananas here. Just ignore it, that is really the best policy. It's not hurting you, so why bother?

It IS hurting me.  These self-righteous idiots are passing laws to make people kow-tow to their fairy tales.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1080 75411 Yesterday at 7:01 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11720 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 651 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4906 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why do some people condone hell? SuicideCommando01 45 5438 May 22, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1405 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9736 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Why garden and not whole world? Fake Messiah 14 2489 March 21, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7032 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why religious cannot agree. Mystic 46 7874 July 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: warmdecember