Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 4:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism is well-represented in the Sciences.
Atheism is well-represented in the Sciences.
One can be an open atheist and at the same time a well-respected scientist:

Pew Research Center -- Scientists and Belief

In particular, I was pleased to see the percentage of physicists and astronomers who were wholly atheistic:

[Image: Scientists-and-Belief-3.gif]
RE: Atheism is well-represented in the Sciences.
(July 3, 2019 at 10:18 pm)Jehanne Wrote: One can be an open atheist and at the same time a well-respected scientist:

In particular, I was pleased to see the percentage of physicists and astronomers who were wholly atheistic:

Kind of surprised by the "Biological and Medical" atheists being proportionately smaller than the "Physics and Astronomy" crowd, of which I am one. I knew few people with biology degrees who were not atheists. Maybe the medical people made a difference?
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(July 3, 2019 at 10:30 pm)Fireball Wrote: Kind of surprised by the "Biological and Medical" atheists being proportionately smaller than the "Physics and Astronomy" crowd, of which I am one. I knew few people with biology degrees who were not atheists. Maybe the medical people made a difference?

Also surprising that the youngest cohort has the most believers.
(July 3, 2019 at 10:40 pm)Belaqua Wrote:
(July 3, 2019 at 10:30 pm)Fireball Wrote: Kind of surprised by the "Biological and Medical" atheists being proportionately smaller than the "Physics and Astronomy" crowd, of which I am one. I knew few people with biology degrees who were not atheists. Maybe the medical people made a difference?

Also surprising that the youngest cohort has the most believers.

That scale starts at age 18, though. It may be that as time goes by some scientists drift from theism into atheism.
Interesting results.  It seems, though, that in almost every case, the number of believers are still in the majority (sometimes significantly so).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 4, 2019 at 5:39 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Interesting results.  It seems, though, that in almost every case, the number of believers are still in the majority (sometimes significantly so).

Boru

The so-called conservative Christians are in a small minority, which is really the most important result.
(July 3, 2019 at 10:30 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(July 3, 2019 at 10:18 pm)Jehanne Wrote: One can be an open atheist and at the same time a well-respected scientist:

Kind of surprised by the "Biological and Medical" atheists being proportionately smaller than the "Physics and Astronomy" crowd, of which I am one. I knew few people with biology degrees who were not atheists. Maybe the medical people made a difference?

You should be disturbed by the higher percentage of "don't know". 

And I'm going to guess that they included a high number of chiropractors in the survey.  

Panic
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 4, 2019 at 8:20 am)wyzas Wrote:

You should be disturbed by the higher percentage of "don't know". 

And I'm going to guess that they included a high number of chiropractors in the survey.  

Panic

Anyone can join the AAAS; I was a member for a year.
(July 4, 2019 at 9:43 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(July 4, 2019 at 8:20 am)wyzas Wrote: You should be disturbed by the higher percentage of "don't know". 

Panic

With no vetting to keep out the CS/ID people? Holy crap on a cracker!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 4, 2019 at 9:43 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(July 4, 2019 at 8:20 am)wyzas Wrote: You should be disturbed by the higher percentage of "don't know". 

Panic

What? So those survey results don't mean shit then?

Edit: 

Quote:AAAS membership is open to all — whether you’re a career scientist, engineer, student, or passionate champion for science, you belong here... From Here.

eta#2 I should have read the link before jumping in with the Bah humbug.

Quote:A survey of scientists who are 'members' of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well....Maybe Minimalist 17 4248 July 22, 2015 at 12:07 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Well This Isn't Good Minimalist 5 1317 January 27, 2015 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Well Said, Doc. Minimalist 4 1326 August 18, 2013 at 8:21 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Meteor Shower This AM (Bonus ISS action as well) The Grand Nudger 3 1524 August 12, 2011 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower