Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
christian "love"
christian "love"
As a newly deconverted christian, I have recently had many exciting talks with my theist friends. While I no longer instigate religious conversations, I do often find myself in such conversations due merely to my associates initiating them. Now, keep in mind, I have always been direct. When the conversation does come up, and I tell my theist friends that I am atheist, they look at me like I have the plague. Keep in mind that most of my friends knew me as an evangelical christian. It seems almost beyond belief (pun intended) for them to consider how I could leave the faith. I’ve been told by christians that I was never a true christian in the first place (I too, have used 1John 2:19 to be a dick in the past). One pastor even told me that he used to be atheist, to which I replied, “Then you were never a true atheist in the first place.” At issue for me are the ones who say, in their ever so piously condescending way, “Well I don’t care that you've changed, I still love you.” WTF?! Are you serious? And how have I changed? I'm still the same person (a bit of a prick). It’s not like I just confessed to committing a crime… Or is it? And who is the judge? You still love me? Really, I mean, did you ever love ME, or just what I supported in YOU?
If any christians would like to comment on this “I still love you” phenomenon, that’d be great. Because I don’t believe you. I think once you learn that I WILL NEVER be so ignorant ever again as to believe the fairy tale fiction you want to ram down my throat to make your pathetic selves feel better about believing in some bullshit, that you will in fact reveal your “love” as nothing more than what I already suspect it is…. Unreal, just like the god who “authored” it. Anyone?
RE: christian "love"
There are lots of things Christians say that are meant to be conciliatory, but really come off as condescending and insincere. I don't know too many Christians anymore. For the most part, they've proven to be toxic in my life.
(August 20, 2013 at 2:59 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: As a newly deconverted christian, I have recently had many exciting talks with my theist friends. While I no longer instigate religious conversations, I do often find myself in such conversations due merely to my associates initiating them. Now, keep in mind, I have always been direct. When the conversation does come up, and I tell my theist friends that I am atheist, they look at me like I have the plague. Keep in mind that most of my friends knew me as an evangelical christian. It seems almost beyond belief (pun intended) for them to consider how I could leave the faith. I’ve been told by christians that I was never a true christian in the first place (I too, have used 1John 2:19 to be a dick in the past). One pastor even told me that he used to be atheist, to which I replied, “Then you were never a true atheist in the first place.” At issue for me are the ones who say, in their ever so piously condescending way, “Well I don’t care that you've changed, I still love you.” WTF?! Are you serious? And how have I changed? I'm still the same person (a bit of a prick). It’s not like I just confessed to committing a crime… Or is it? And who is the judge? You still love me? Really, I mean, did you ever love ME, or just what I supported in YOU?
If any christians would like to comment on this “I still love you” phenomenon, that’d be great. Because I don’t believe you. I think once you learn that I WILL NEVER be so ignorant ever again as to believe the fairy tale fiction you want to ram down my throat to make your pathetic selves feel better about believing in some bullshit, that you will in fact reveal your “love” as nothing more than what I already suspect it is…. Unreal, just like the god who “authored” it. Anyone?

I've never been a fan of the whole "You never were a real Christian" arguement. Not because there is a lack of love issue, but because I believe it to be a copout answer.

Then I was reminded of the story of the prodigal son. The Prodigal leaves and is free to return at anypoint in his life. It's not that the Father said you are no longer my son, (Lost salvation) or the Fact that the boy was never his Father's son (was never truly saved to begin with.) It's that the son wants nothing to do with the father, so he leaves.

Which means the son leaves salvation to live a life apart from the umbrella the father provides. Again he did not loose it as the story shows the son is free to return to the father's house at anytime. The boy just refuses to accept to live under his father so he is free to go and do as he pleases. As such he is also no longer under the father's protection, meaning he will be subject and held to account as the rest of the world will be.
(August 20, 2013 at 2:59 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: At issue for me are the ones who say, in their ever so piously condescending way, “Well I don’t care that you've changed, I still love you.”

I see what you're saying with respect to this - but in my own experience, I'm pretty sure at least some of those who have said something similar to me were sincere, if unaware of how condescending they came off sounding. On the other hand, I've known some downright nasty people.
(August 20, 2013 at 3:12 pm)Drich Wrote: I've never been a fan of the whole "You never were a real Christian" arguement. Not because there is a lack of love issue, but because I believe it to be a copout answer.

Then I was reminded of the story of the prodigal son. The Prodigal leaves and is free to return at anypoint in his life. It's not that the Father said you are no longer my son, (Lost salvation) or the Fact that the boy was never his Father's son (was never truly saved to begin with.) It's that the son wants nothing to do with the father, so he leaves.

Which means the son leaves salvation to live a life apart from the umbrella the father provides. Again he did not loose it as the story shows the son is free to return to the father's house at anytime. The boy just refuses to accept to live under his father so he is free to go and do as he pleases. As such he is also no longer under the father's protection, meaning he will be subject and held to account as the rest of the world will be.

Talk about being condescending and insincere.....

Do you even realize that in this analogy, the son doesn't refuse to live under his father's protective umbrella, instead he comes to the realization that the father doesn't exist and the protection is an illusion?
Some of these folks may be sincere - time will surely tell all.

(August 20, 2013 at 3:17 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: WANTED - Evil genius seeks minions to sacrifice their lives in world domination attempt. Must be prepared to work for narcissistic psychopath with long hours and low pay. Applicants face certainty of an unpleasant and messy death. Costumes and death rays provided. NO WEIRDOS. Call 1-800-MWA-HAHA
I called the number - It's a church dammit!
Everyone has heard the cliche Orange is the new black.

In Christianity, hate has always been the traditional form of love.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
"I still love you" suggests there is a good reason for them not to.

Christians have turned masking condescension as concern and empathy into an art form.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Christianity aside... Is there anything wrong with people loving each other? And saying it?

Does religion being invloved make it any different in the way that we "should" treat each other?

Do you hold the same personal views, and values of every atheist?

Christ represents good. Laws represent good. But people use each to their own advantage. Does that mean we throw them away?

Just food for thought.
Quis ut Deus?
(August 20, 2013 at 3:21 pm)genkaus Wrote:
(August 20, 2013 at 3:12 pm)Drich Wrote: I've never been a fan of the whole "You never were a real Christian" arguement. Not because there is a lack of love issue, but because I believe it to be a copout answer.

Talk about being condescending and insincere.....

Do you even realize that in this analogy, the son doesn't refuse to live under his father's protective umbrella, instead he comes to the realization that the father doesn't exist and the protection is an illusion?

How is this insincere or condecending? God did not kick you out you left. Just like in the parable the son told the Father 'He' was dead to him. (He no longer existed.) This is exactly what you have done here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88899 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  General questions about the Christian idea of God and love Mudhammam 148 26588 October 2, 2014 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7410 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6332 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  God cannot love or be Love. Greatest I am 0 1399 December 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  A good explanation to Christian love LastPoet 0 1260 October 4, 2011 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet