Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 12:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General questions about the Christian idea of God and love
General questions about the Christian idea of God and love
1. What do Christians mean by God's love or God is love?
2. Is God's love conceived as conditional or unconditional?
3. If it is unconditional, how can one ever divorce themselves from it?
4. Does God continue to love those whom he has reserved hell for?
5. If God is omnipresent, in what sense is it logical to speak of the absence of his presence in hell?
6. If God is immutable, how can any love he possesses for us ever change into wrath?
7. If you have/had a child who disowned you as a parent, and you therefore reacted by revoking any extension of love you possessed for them, in what sense could your love be considered unconditional?
8. If God's love is conditioned on our actions or beliefs about him, is it fair to say that God's love is inferior to the love that many human parents do in fact possess for their children?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: General questions about the Christian idea of God and love
I wonna see a Christian answer this.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
1. What do Christians mean by God's love or God is love?
God is the embodiment of the word?

2. Is God's love conceived as conditional or unconditional?
Unconditional

3. If it is unconditional, how can one ever divorce themselves from it?
You can't

4. Does God continue to love those whom he has reserved hell for?
Yes

5. If God is omnipresent, in what sense is it logical to speak of the absence of his presence in hell?
a. Hell isn't a physical reality.
b. He's present for hell on earth.

6. If God is immutable, how can any love he possesses for us ever change into wrath?
He is just. Not punishing wouldn't be love.

7. If you have/had a child who disowned you as a parent, and you therefore reacted by revoking any extension of love you possessed for them, in what sense could your love be considered unconditional?
Inapplicable. You're misconstruing just reward with lack of love. Love is always a prime consideration. The child rejecting love is them punishing themselves. The love is never withdrawn. The child just refuses it.

8. If God's love is conditioned on our actions or beliefs about him, is it fair to say that God's love is inferior to the love that many human parents do in fact possess for their children?
No it's superior. If a parent encourages the child to hatred they aren't helping the child. Not showing it love.
Are Christians who then characterize hell as a divorce from God's love, rather than a punishment (the divorce is seen by them as the punishment), incorrect in their conception? What is it about the nature of hell that "restricts" an omnipotent God from allowing a person to repent after they have experienced the terms of his punishment? Or is hell a place where its occupants will have no desire to do so? Or is God simply unwilling to forgive at that point?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Are Christians who then characterize hell as a divorce from God's love, rather than a punishment (the divorce is seen by them as the punishment), incorrect in their conception?
I think so, yes.

What is it about the nature of hell that "restricts" an omnipotent God from allowing a person to repent after they have experienced the terms of his punishment? Or is hell a place where its occupants will have no desire to do so? Or is God simply unwilling to forgive at that point?
I believe people choose to stay in hell. Before and after death. Eventually everyone will be drawn to God. Is the inevitable conclusion.
Do you have any evidence for that Frodo?

Or is that merely your opinion?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
It's not opinion Zen. It's a standard take that's been around for centuries. It's involved though. I could link you a book.

"All will be drawn to him" is a direct quote
Wooah good questions Pickup.
@ frOdO: sorry buddy I think your answers were complete bollocks, ridiculous balderdash but good for you for answering.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
Constructive comments backed up with reason are always good to have vodka Wink
(September 13, 2014 at 9:02 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Constructive comments backed up with reason are always good to have vodka Wink

Aw, now you are making fun of me Wink
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Are Questions About God Important? Confused-by-christianity 621 33235 December 9, 2023 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1321 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  God's Love Johanabrahams 724 71882 October 3, 2021 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88368 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  falsifying the idea of falsification Drich 109 8051 April 3, 2020 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
Tongue I have an idea! Tea Earl Grey Hot 57 23823 April 26, 2018 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  questions for a christian lighthouse 43 8349 January 17, 2017 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  If god was love Foxaèr 1 1112 September 28, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Similarities Between the Christian God and Abusive Spouses Jesster 18 3170 September 4, 2016 at 11:29 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I Have Proof the the Christian God Does Not and Cannot Eist Rhondazvous 89 14073 July 5, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous