Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Tell If You're A Lunatic
How To Tell If You're A Lunatic
It has come to my attention that there are loonies among us who don't realize that they're loonies. As a public service, I've prepared the following list of indicators to help those unsure of their loony status. Please note that the following list is by no mean exhaustive.

1. If you have no problem reconciling infinite punishment with finite trangressions, you are a loony.

2. If you believe that the creation stories in Genesis are literal history, you are a loony.

3. If you believe that devils, djinn, kami and so forth are actual beings that need to be placated, you are a loony.

4. If you believe that a Hindu queen was impregnated by a white, six-tusked elephant, you're a loony.

5. If you think bathing in a polluted river is the best way to remove your sins, you are a loony.

6. If you think your child's infection is more likely to be cured with prayer than with anti-biotics, you are a dangerous loony.

7. If you deny biological evolution in favour of creationism, or you support the notion that creationism deserves equal time in school with science courses, you are a loony.

8. If you've ever bought a piece of the True Cross, a splinter of gopher wood from the Ark, or you think the Shroud of Turin is anything other than a painting, you're a loony.

9. If you think there is a gay agenda whose purpose is to overthrow Christianity and 'convert' your children, you are a loony.

10. If anything on this list applies to you and you still think you're NOT a loony...you're a loony.

As I said, the above is not exhaustive. Please feel free to add or amend, or to suggest changes (additions suggested by loonies will be subject to review by non-loonies). Thank you for your time.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: How To Tell If You're A Lunatic
If you think disbelief in claims of the existence of a deity needs to be proven the same way belief in the same does, then you are a loony.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
If you think ridiculing the religious beliefs of others makes you sound intelligent...you're a loony.
Quote:If you think ridiculing the religious beliefs of others makes you sound intelligent...you're a loony.

Are you impling that NO religious beliefs are deserving of ridicule?

Let's take the first one on the list. Suppose I steal a loaf of bread to feed a hungry child, an act for which I never, ever express remore or repentence. Under the rules laid down by the God of Abraham, I am in for eternal punishment (and to forestall the inevitable trite objection, it doesn't matter what form the punishment takes - the point is that the punishment is everlasting).

This is an utterly ridiculous belief, and thus merits ridicule.

On a wider note, why is it that religious beliefs should be exempt from ridicule? You never hear someone say, 'You shouldn't ridicule the political beliefs of others' or 'You shouldn't ridicule the literary beliefs of others' and so on. What marks out religious belief doe special treatment?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Only his own.

They're all alike.
(September 6, 2013 at 7:54 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: If you think ridiculing the religious beliefs of others makes you sound intelligent...you're a loony.

You don't ridicule anything? Do you really find yourself devoid of critique in all things? Religion doesn't get a free pass on this; nothing does for that matter.
If you judge others only by what they believe/don't believe you're a loony.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

If you reserve judgment on all things, not only are you lazy, but you're loony.
(September 6, 2013 at 7:54 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: If you think ridiculing the religious beliefs of others makes you sound intelligent...you're a loony.

If you think ridiculing the ridiculous beliefs of others
makes you a loony... You're a loony Tongue
(September 6, 2013 at 8:51 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: If you reserve judgment on all things, not only are you lazy, but you're loony.

I'll keep this one handy, I can see it being useful in the near future.

I do take this to mean that Christians can now justly judge the nonbelievers without ridicule from you.

SmileSmileSmile GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 24868 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4611 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1354 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  How to tell if a religion is B.S. onlinebiker 43 5465 November 25, 2018 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated Clueless Morgan 12 3866 February 18, 2014 at 12:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  What do believers say when you ask or tell them.. Soyouz 117 58070 March 30, 2010 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: RedFish
  Jesus is trying to tell me something; what is it Jesus? TruthWorthy 32 13207 February 5, 2010 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Dotard