Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to tell if a religion is B.S.
How to tell if a religion is B.S.
Everyone learns how to spot a huckster.

At least the smart ones learn.

What do you consider a " tell", that sets off your alarm bells?

A few of mine.

1. They ask for money. Their God created the universe, but needs your money to feed orphans?

2. They' re unusually concerned about your genitalia, and how you' re using it. In fact, they have a knife and want to make " a small adjustment".

3. They want to tell you what to eat. I got news for you swami -- you get between me and the beer and bacon - and there' s gonna be trouble.

Contribute your insights and observations.
RE: How to tell if a religion is B.S.
"Just believe"(said every preacher, as if your too blind to notice the fact of God existence).
If it uses the term "religion" then it's BS
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(November 18, 2018 at 7:25 am)onlinebiker Wrote: 1. They ask for money. Their God created the universe, but needs your money to feed orphans?

2. They' re unusually concerned about your genitalia, and how you' re using it. In fact, they have a knife and want to make " a small adjustment".

3. They want to tell you what to eat. I got news for you swami -- you get between me and the beer and bacon - and there' s gonna be trouble.

None of these (especially #1) would invalidate a religion.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 18, 2018 at 7:25 am)onlinebiker Wrote: 1. They ask for money. 

Theists are usually conservatives.
Just pray to God, and he'll reveal the way to you.

Just read the Bible/Qur'an/Other, and see for yourself, but you have to read it with an open mind.
If it is religion, it is bullshit. If it is faith but not religion, it is bullshit. If it is god but not religion, it is bullshit. If it is spiritual but not religion, it is bullshit. Basically if it is bullshit, it is bullshit.
My observation is that you have set a very low bar for, essentially, fraud, and are likely maligning a lot of innocent people as a result.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 18, 2018 at 10:19 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: My observation is that you have set a very low bar for, essentially, fraud, and are likely maligning a lot of innocent people as a result.

Spot on. I find it pretty difficult to criticize people who collect money to feed hungry children, whatever their motivation for doing so.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 18, 2018 at 10:19 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: My observation is that you have set a very low bar for, essentially, fraud, and are likely maligning a lot of innocent people as a result.

Most of the participants in the scheme may be innocent, but the scheme is nonetheless fraudulent, and conceived to defraud.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 24787 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4603 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1344 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10718 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19817 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49306 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  How to Tell You've Been Indoctrinated Clueless Morgan 12 3865 February 18, 2014 at 12:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  How To Tell If You're A Lunatic BrianSoddingBoru4 23 5228 September 8, 2013 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: Max_Kolbe
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5186 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused