Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cancer Within the Atheist Community
The Cancer Within the Atheist Community
As I was moving into my new apartment the other day, I overheard the complex's manager speaking to a guy who had just been in a car accident. The driver was a hardcore atheist, and he had just been involved in a very heated altercation with a believer. So flared up by the argument, he had driven away and ended up rear ending someone with his truck.

Now...this gentleman represents the cancer growing within the Atheist community. Free thinkers and rationalists should not externalize evil like this. They should be aware of evil within our own community and others, as well. This gentleman is also dragging himself down to this nutty pastor's parasitical level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhim76DRwNs
RE: The Cancer Within the Atheist Community
I don't see how this represents a cancer within the atheist community.

This was one guy that has anger control issues that let those issues lead to an accident.

I'll bet this guy's anger control issues also manifest in other parts of his life not related to religious debates.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(September 11, 2013 at 4:24 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: I don't see how this represents a cancer within the atheist community.

This was one guy that has anger control issues that let those issues lead to an accident.

I'll bet this guy's anger control issues also manifest in other parts of his life not related to religious debates.

Atheists still shouldn't act like that, though.
(September 11, 2013 at 4:52 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote: Atheists still shouldn't act like that, though.

Who are you? The atheist police?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 11, 2013 at 4:52 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote:
(September 11, 2013 at 4:24 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: I don't see how this represents a cancer within the atheist community.

Atheists still shouldn't act like that, though.

Nobody probably should, but it has fuck all to do with atheism
(September 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Who are you? The atheist police?

No, police are law enforcement agencies that use force on people who do not comply with established laws and customs. When I say atheists should not act like that, I am simply saying that is unethical. Of course, you can agree or disagree (opinions are like assholes, everyone has one), but that is my opinion.
As opposed to... any other member of humanity? Why do you only appear to care about atheists having an ethical standard?
(September 11, 2013 at 5:10 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote: No, police are law enforcement agencies that use force on people who do not comply with established laws and customs. When I say atheists should not act like that, I am simply saying that is unethical. Of course, you can agree or disagree (opinions are like assholes, everyone has one), but that is my opinion.

If it is unethical, why not say that no one should act like that?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I think the moral of the story is to calm down before getting behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Atheism has nothing to do with it. It very well could have been a Christian arguing with a Muslim.

And I totally fail to see what it has to do with that crazy pastor claiming that all atheists are evil and immoral.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Quote:I am simply saying that is unethical.

It may be silly to get so wrapped up in someone elses boogeyman that you crash into a car but I hardly think unethical is the right word. I agree with the above that this fellow probably gets equally worked up when his team loses a game or some broad tells him "no."

I'd rather he be a theist - they have little emotional control - but that is not my call.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4654 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do atheists like Atheist Roo have anything useful to offer the Atheist community? IanHulett 21 7308 January 1, 2016 at 10:33 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community? ketameankitty 887 161272 December 4, 2015 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheist Involvement in the Community Polaris 9 2164 August 16, 2014 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Baqal
  God lives within us faith. Mystic 31 6876 May 13, 2014 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Community help for Non-Cognitive? TROC 38 16432 November 3, 2012 at 11:37 am
Last Post: TROC
  CNN Hitchens Cancer Interview yuriythebest 20 9993 August 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates
  Cancer patient fired from job for being an atheist, now needs financial help Eilonnwy 8 4651 July 13, 2009 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Samson