Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Involvement in the Community
Atheist Involvement in the Community
Speaking of atheists getting involved in the community in terms of community service events, do you think it is better, as an atheist, to vocally pronounce that you are an atheist or instead let your actions speak for themselves?

I remember once when someone assumed I was a Christian because of the generosity I showed...perhaps you could receive the same response, but instead state you were an atheist and change their perceptions they have towards non-believers.

Is it your lack of beliefs or anti-religiousness than defines you or is it instead your connection with humanity?
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
RE: Atheist Involvement in the Community
In two weeks I'm starting a month-long, intensive training session to be a volunteer rape crisis counselor. Funny, they didn't ask me anything about my religion or lack-thereof in my interview, and I don't plan on bringing it up. If someone were to ask me if I am a Christian, I would simply say "no". It's none of their business anyway.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(August 15, 2014 at 10:20 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: In two weeks I'm starting a month-long, intensive training session to be a volunteer rape crisis counselor. Funny, they didn't ask me anything about my religion or lack-thereof in my interview, and I don't plan on bringing it up. If someone were to ask me if I am a Christian, I would simply say "no". It's none of their business anyway.

Thank you very much for volunteering.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(August 15, 2014 at 10:10 pm)Polaris Wrote: Speaking of atheists getting involved in the community in terms of community service events, do you think it is better, as an atheist, to vocally pronounce that you are an atheist or instead let your actions speak for themselves?

I remember once when someone assumed I was a Christian because of the generosity I showed...perhaps you could receive the same response, but instead state you were an atheist and change their perceptions they have towards non-believers.

Is it your lack of beliefs or anti-religiousness than defines you or is it instead your connection with humanity?

I served at a Christian food bank in Ventura, California, keeping my atheism quiet, for two years.

As for what defines me, I don't define myself with exterior metrics. I define myself in terms of myself, and that alone. I'm not interested in conforming to your ideals, or rebelling against them, because your ideals have nothing to do with my outlook.

I live as myself, and your opinion of me is none of my business.

Yeah....people are usually surprised and don't believe me when I tell them I am a Christian...I tend not to be like my two co-workers who bring up religion all the time (one asked me if I was a Christian and got into a long Biblical discussion during lunch break....that's still a bit weird even for believing Christians) and like to drink craft beer, so I don't fit the generalisation that non-theists see in Christians. Then again, I live in the land of "if you don't fit this stereotype, you aren't a member of that group." Yes, that's more than often my experience in America.
(August 15, 2014 at 10:20 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: In two weeks I'm starting a month-long, intensive training session to be a volunteer rape crisis counselor. Funny, they didn't ask me anything about my religion or lack-thereof in my interview, and I don't plan on bringing it up. If someone were to ask me if I am a Christian, I would simply say "no". It's none of their business anyway.

That's good, where will you be volunteering? In America? I'm asking this because there's countries where rape crimes are far more frequent.

I'm sure it is not legal to ask someone their religion in an interview, I wouldn't answer that question and I don't know anyone who has been asked that during an interview
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 16, 2014 at 8:54 am)Blackout Wrote:

That's good, where will you be volunteering? In America? I'm asking this because there's countries where rape crimes are far more frequent.

I'm sure it is not legal to ask someone their religion in an interview, I wouldn't answer that question and I don't know anyone who has been asked that during an interview

Yes, In California. I live here, so it seems the best place to volunteer Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I would wager that if everyone kept their religion to themselves, you would hear very little from atheists.
(August 16, 2014 at 9:36 am)Cato Wrote: I would wager that if everyone kept their religion to themselves, you would hear very little from atheists.

I have found a lot of the atheists who make themselves heard actively look for stories about theists instead of actually having any real interactions with them.

I could easily focus on the atheists who vandalize property (there are numerous news stories about them), but none of the atheists I know act like those vandals.
(August 16, 2014 at 11:11 am)Polaris Wrote: I have found a lot of the atheists who make themselves heard actively look for stories about theists instead of actually having any real interactions with them.

I could easily focus on the atheists who vandalize property (there are numerous news stories about them), but none of the atheists I know act like those vandals.
You might want to check this out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4644 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do atheists like Atheist Roo have anything useful to offer the Atheist community? IanHulett 21 7308 January 1, 2016 at 10:33 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community? ketameankitty 887 161243 December 4, 2015 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Cancer Within the Atheist Community Michael Schubert 19 5724 September 12, 2013 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Community help for Non-Cognitive? TROC 38 16429 November 3, 2012 at 11:37 am
Last Post: TROC