Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leibnizian Cosmological Argument
Leibnizian Cosmological Argument

What do y'all thing of this apologetic argument? I'm about to go to sleep so I'm a bit unfocused right now, but I remember something about his defense of why the explanation for the universe's existence necessarily having to be a 'necessary being' being shaky and/or nonsensical when I watched the video a few hours back.
RE: Leibnizian Cosmological Argument
In short, the argument commits the fallacies of composition and equivocation in much the same way that the Kalam argument does. Though admittedly, someone that doesn't spot the fallacies there won't see them here either.
Hilariously I am getting the message that the video does not exist, but I am familiar with the concept so:

Point 1:

Inherent in the argument is that there are 2 types of entity which is usually defined as necessary and contingent. Necessary things have to exist whilst contingent things may or may not exist. The argument is that the universe is contingent whilst the creator of the universe is necessary.

Here, for me, is the flaw in the argument. Whilst the universe may be contingent initially it becomes necessary as soon as the question is asked.

In other words - the universe must exist for the the questioner to exist and the question to be consequently raised.

Point 2:

If the universe has an explanation for its existence that explanation is God.

This is a quantum leap on many levels to even count:

Our universe may be embedded in another universe and that in another and so on. The primary cause of the highest level of universe could indeed be God but we could be many times removed from God. Religious people don't like this argument as that makes the theist God ever more unlikely - even if it does create a deist God.

Something from nothing. I have covered this many times on the forum. See Professor Krauss' theories. In essense nothingness is unstable in Quantum Physics.

Which God?

Why does the creator have to be a force for good?

etc etc.
I clicked here because I thought the title was "Lesbian Cosmological Argument."

Needless to say, I am massively disappointed.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
(September 17, 2013 at 1:09 am)Tartarus Sauce Wrote: I clicked here because I thought the title was "Lesbian Cosmological Argument."

Search 'Two Girls, One Cup' for the lesbian version. Be forewarned, though, like most cosmological arguments, the premise is shit.
(September 17, 2013 at 3:17 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Search 'Two Girls, One Cup' for the lesbian version. Be forewarned, though, like most cosmological arguments, the premise is shit.

Friendly advice, what you will see, cannot be unseen.

I don't understand why people make such a fuss about that video.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 17, 2013 at 1:09 am)Tartarus Sauce Wrote: I clicked here because I thought the title was "Lesbian Cosmological Argument."

Hah, there's an argument I could get behind. :p

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Cosmological Proof LinuxGal 53 3470 September 24, 2023 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The cosmological argument really needs to die already. Freedom of thought 16 4320 December 13, 2013 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Questions on the Kalam Cosmological argument MindForgedManacle 10 2675 July 26, 2013 at 9:37 am
Last Post: little_monkey
  Something that can strengthen the cosmological argument? Mystic 1 1458 April 8, 2013 at 6:23 am
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Simple existence - Cosmological argument leading to God Mystic 5 3747 June 14, 2012 at 4:26 am
Last Post: genkaus