Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can Hebrews 2:9 be true?
How can Hebrews 2:9 be true?
Hebrews 2:9 says:

2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

In what sense could god, in the guise of his son, be lower than his angels? What is the unit of measure?
Find the cure for Fundementia!
RE: How can Hebrews 2:9 be true?
I think it means that he was made corporeal, of the flesh.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 18, 2013 at 8:55 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: I think it means that he was made corporeal, of the flesh.

So when god wrestled with Jacob he was flesh and "below" himself?

How is it that god is less than god when he has a body? Why is a body less "something" than being a ghost?
Man, I dunno if I admire you for trying to understand all these ambiguities/contradictions, or pity you for wasting precious drinking time by doing the same.

Just kidding...I already have my answer. Smile
When you are confronted with a truck full of bullshit there is little point in trying to analyze each turd.
(September 18, 2013 at 9:00 pm)Brakeman Wrote:
(September 18, 2013 at 8:55 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: I think it means that he was made corporeal, of the flesh.

So when god wrestled with Jacob he was flesh and "below" himself?

How is it that god is less than god when he has a body? Why is a body less "something" than being a ghost?

When God the Son took on the flesh He elected to limit Himself by the limitations of the Flesh.

Who says that the flesh is more than the spirit?
You are speaking from a singular perspective. Meaning if you do not have anything to compare it to how do you know that what you say is accurate? How would you know that the flesh is somehow greater than the spirit?

That is like a character in a video game looking down on humanity because man does not grow larger when he touches a mushroom or can Not shoot fire balls after touching a weird flower... Never mind the fact that man controls the video game character... From Mario's singular perspective he is all powerful, but if/when one is able to take a step back and look big picture (secondary perspective) he is able to compare/ judge more accurately because there is more information available.
Quote:When God the Son took on the flesh He elected to limit Himself by the limitations of the Flesh.

Well, except for that whole "staying dead" part. You overlooked that.

Conveniently.
(September 18, 2013 at 10:17 pm)Drich Wrote:
(September 18, 2013 at 9:00 pm)Brakeman Wrote: So when god wrestled with Jacob he was flesh and "below" himself?

When God the Son took on the flesh He elected to limit Himself by the limitations of the Flesh.

Who says that the flesh is more than the spirit?

.. rambling babble..

"Who says that the flesh is more than the spirit?" Nobody said that, weren't you paying attention? The bible says the opposite.

How is god "Limited" by the flesh when he can make the flesh do anything he wants? The "flesh" is not the limiting factor at all, it is god's magical whim.

Getting back on subject, what quality of the "real world" makes one a lower caste when entered? Is "heaven" still heaven if god were moved to a new location? Is it not god that makes heaven the "good" place?
It looks like one of the ways that the NT writers tried to humanize god. The OT presents a powerful and cruel entity with a very short fuse who acts on a whim and has no issues with the wholesale slaughter of people. The NT takes that god, then humbles him by putting him in a human skin and having him enduring suffering at the hands of lowly humans. The god of the OT is both literally and symbolically killed and reborn, and god 2.0 is a loving and caring god (who will nonetheless return to his wholesale slaughter of people at some future point, but that's a story for another time).
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(September 18, 2013 at 10:16 pm)Minimalist Wrote: When you are confronted with a truck full of bullshit there is little point in trying to analyze each turd.

True, but I want to learn the contradictions in the apologia. The answers the apologists give to simple questions like this can then be used against them in their defense of other verses. Whereas some collect contradictions in the bible, I collect contradictions in the apologia of the bible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How we found out Evolution is true fredd bear 38 2737 March 26, 2019 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hey, Nobody Said It WASN'T True YahwehIsTheWay 17 2554 December 5, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  True Christianity Graufreud 53 4527 August 9, 2018 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Joods
  App for True Christians (TM) YahwehIsTheWay 1 686 April 29, 2017 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Proposed: A common definition for "True Christian" Gawdzilla Sama 45 5059 September 28, 2016 at 3:52 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Christianity Can't Be True Because... pipw1995 75 11498 August 31, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  The problem with "One true church claim" by catholics Romney 8 2119 August 30, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  1 John 4:1 compared to The No True Scotsman Fallacy and sophisms Thomas Kelly252525 104 13408 June 20, 2016 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The ONLY true christian Foxaèr 28 5958 January 28, 2016 at 6:04 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why the Hebrews? drfuzzy 33 4133 November 30, 2015 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy