Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is God treated like a retarded and selfish child?
Why is God treated like a retarded and selfish child?
Pretty much every major religion adheres to an almighty, all powerful, eternal god.

Then why do you have to bow to him? Why do you have to sing songs for him? Why do you even have to say ridiculously long prayers to him?

If a god was infinitely more powerful than everything else, it wouldn't give one single damn about people bowing or singing songs to him.
RE: Why is God treated like a retarded and selfish child?
It's not at all suspicious that the King of Kings has many of the same behavior traits and sense of entitlement that real kings tended to possess. Write what you know, I guess.
Appeasement is an all too human response to those we perceive can do us ill. The fact we make up the deity just shows the depths of our delusions. But, yeah...we don't expect the god truly needs supplications, etc., but we do it anyway. Sick, huh?
Because people really believe that the great and loving god will get jealous of their distractions if they don't. Not because he's insecure, but because he's so loving. Don't you get it?

Because mankind created god in their own image, spoiled, insecure, and most of all... humble. Like me.

Because when man began to think how he should invent god, he thought within his own limitations. He could not create anything new in his mind, so he "invented" a taller version of himself and made him want things he would want too. It just made sense that way.

Because people like to sing and dance and then say they are winning holy battles in the name of their lord as they wave their hands in the air like they don't care. It's awesome. You don't have go to a real battle, but you still go to war right there in your own room with invisible beings that also resemble us, only with black goatees and a tail. "Amen!" Bam! Another one bites the dust.

Because we the humans are so smart. Duh.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
One thing's for sure: God is how a great many people around the world justify behaving like retarded and selfish children.
The idea of a loving God was overlaid on a pre-existing deity who bore more resemblance to a war god. The Jewish God didn't really pretend to be nice - as a cursory glance at the OT shows. This has caused all sorts of problems throughout history as people attempt to marry the 2 together.

Its interesting to note that there was a Christian movement which tried to separate the 2 (OT and NT God) arguing that the 2 could not be the same but they lost out.

What we are left with is a God that commands you to love him and promises hell if you don't. I dunno about you but I can't be commanded to love anyone or anything.
(September 24, 2013 at 1:55 am)max-greece Wrote: The idea of a loving God was overlaid on a pre-existing deity who bore more resemblance to a war god. The Jewish God didn't really pretend to be nice - as a cursory glance at the OT shows. This has caused all sorts of problems throughout history as people attempt to marry the 2 together.

Its interesting to note that there was a Christian movement which tried to separate the 2 (OT and NT God) arguing that the 2 could not be the same but they lost out.

What we are left with is a God that commands you to love him and promises hell if you don't. I dunno about you but I can't be commanded to love anyone or anything.

I've heard Christians say that before. That the OT somehow doesn't count. It's probably more prevalent than you think. The thing is that the integrity of the bible as a whole is compromised if you start questioning even a part of it.

But logically the whole thing is already demolished.
(September 24, 2013 at 12:34 am)gilbertc06 Wrote: Pretty much every major religion adheres to an almighty, all powerful, eternal god.

Then why do you have to bow to him? Why do you have to sing songs for him? Why do you even have to say ridiculously long prayers to him?

If a god was infinitely more powerful than everything else, it wouldn't give one single damn about people bowing or singing songs to him.

Because god was designed and developed by ignorant humans who thought all that shit would be cool.
What I'll never understand is why people insist that I love and worship God "or else." They never seem to understand that I don't want to worship any deity which would threaten me with eternal punishment. Christians always like to either hint at or outright threaten the eternal torture awaiting unbelievers and believers who sin, but yet they just never understand that this sounds like the ultimate abusive relationship. Look up the characteristics of controlling behavior in a relationship and then apply it to Christians. He forces you to do what he wants, he tells you you're worthless, he blames you for his terrible behavior, he limits who you can be friends with (in some religions), he threatens you if you leave the relationship, etc.

(September 24, 2013 at 2:04 am)gilbertc06 Wrote: I've heard Christians say that before. That the OT somehow doesn't count.

They only say this when it comes to eating shellfish, wearing clothes of mixed fibers, offering up sacrifices, or other inconvenient passages, but they want the ten commandments posted everywhere and that thing about putting gay people to death still stands.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(September 24, 2013 at 1:55 am)max-greece Wrote: The idea of a loving God was overlaid on a pre-existing deity who bore more resemblance to a war god. The Jewish God didn't really pretend to be nice - as a cursory glance at the OT shows.
That's the problem - you take a cursory glance. The OT god shows love and forgiveness, and Jesus shows judgment and wrath.

(September 24, 2013 at 12:34 am)gilbertc06 Wrote: Pretty much every major religion adheres to an almighty, all powerful, eternal god.

Huh? You bow down and sing songs to retarded children? Bizarre.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what age should a child be introduced to religion? Fake Messiah 82 5420 July 4, 2022 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Operating Systems treated as a religion? (Linux) Ferrocyanide 10 945 April 5, 2021 at 7:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How do christens justify child molestation? AngryAtheist666 47 3543 February 15, 2021 at 5:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Disturbing child abuse linked to Voodoo and Chrsitianity downbeatplumb 5 876 January 16, 2019 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How to raise a child as an atheist Alexmahone 13 2244 January 1, 2018 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why is Kim Jong-un just like God. ignoramus 3 1590 July 11, 2017 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8485 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Are religious people selfish? ThortheMighty 40 4503 February 1, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Should a woman be treated differently if... Mr Greene 107 9401 September 21, 2016 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I will be praying to god for a girlfriend like this Tarasoft11 31 4757 September 11, 2016 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Losty