Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are religious people selfish?
Are religious people selfish?
The title says it all.

Are the religious of the world more selfish/self absorbed than others?

My experience has taught me that it is so. Their whole worldview as that their lives are a wreck adn this mysterious but benevolent Deity cares about them and their lives.

Their whole worldview is centered on their relationship with Him and His plan for them.

I don't know if this is the case, but if that is ones worldview, ones cares/concerns for other people and things are limited. Why is it that so few religious people are concerned about the rainforest or the plight of the Kurds/Palestinians what have you. It doesn't relate terribly to their loving relationship.

Idk if religion makes people selfish, but I think it makes them uncurious. They have it all figured out so to speak (their thinking is done for them) so they don't care about causes or people that are different.

Just my two cents.
RE: Are religious people selfish?
I'd say not necessarily. I'll call them out for faulty reasoning every day of the week, but I don't see why they'd be more selfish. Some of them certainly are and they stand out far more because of it.
I believe their worldview is.

I also think organized religion is more conducive to dividing and dehumanizing other people.

Those who don't believe are less valuable and less human than those who do.

I do think it fills a void for most people. Those without successful or full lives tend to gravitate toward it the most.
I'll settle for no better off in this regard than anyone else, but they tend to think they are. People are pretty fucked up on the whole. Clearly, whether or not design was involved, there was very little intelligence involved.
They are less curious and more rigid than atheists and freethinkers. Therefore, they are less accepting.
To be fair, I've met some very rigid atheists.
Not at all.
Christians are self centered to think that a deity specifically cares for and speaks to them. But they also do a lot of good in the world.

I think we're all selfish whether we're religious or not.

Even caring about other people can be selfish in a way, because it makes us feel better about ourselves and less uncomfortable about the world around us.
OP, selfish, not any more that any other person with an investment in a belief system.

Self absorbed? Compared to what? 14 year old boy and his penis, not even close.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Lot's of interesting assumptions here.  Rolleyes
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1072 74716 April 17, 2024 at 1:13 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11443 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 650 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7018 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 4944 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Religious texts used to manipulate people Foxaèr 13 3756 June 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How do religious people justify raising and slaughtering animals for food? Alexmahone 113 12883 December 6, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Little Rik
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16245 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9482 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Religious people find it harder to understand the world – study Fake Messiah 28 4497 November 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah