Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do some atheists think of using the term "Soul"
What do some atheists think of using the term "Soul"
Like breating life. I have always wondered what the scientific usage of it is. If there is one. When i am referring to a soul, i mean
Body + Life = You
Without a soul, there is only a lifeless body. Sorta like a shell with no life, reaction, movements. Basically it.
What do you people think about it?
RE: What do some atheists think of using the term "Soul"
I think the concept of a soul, and the description of 'it', depends very much on the person you're talking to and where they were raised.

For me, the self is inseparable from the brain (and a fully functioning one at that, although arguably it could be stated that the self changes as the brain does). This is evidenced quite easily upon viewing people who have had a degree of brain damage, or who suffer from a degenerative condition such as dementia whereby they begin to lose a sense of 'self'. We've mapped the brain pretty extensively (though arguably not fully), and we know what areas of the brain more or less govern aspects of emotion, interpretation of sight, even the belief in a deity. Physically affecting these can have demonstrably effects on the person.

I don't think the soul exists because I've never heard a uniform description of it, and am yet to see any evidence of its existence.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I'd be astounded if there was a "scientific usage" or even definition of the term soul.... which applies to the fantasies of believers and not anything in the real world.

I'm sure some creatard with a PH. D. in wiping his ass has concocted one but that really doesn't count.
The only 'soul' which actually exists is in the form of either panty-blasting love anthems or fried food.
There isn't a scientific definition for this sort of concept, though I would generally translate it to mean 'Personality' and in a similar vein 'Spirit' tends to translate as 'Emotion'.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
"A brain without a body is a life without function".
'Personality', the material synonym of 'soul'.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
it's one of those words that fall into the category of words that have a lot of "meaning", but no one really knows what it means. Like "supernatural", "god", etc. etc. Until someone can define it, yea, I don't give a shit about it and I know there are PhDs in psychology and/or neuroscience who strongly believe in it but they're honest enough to say they have no evidence for it. How can you have evidence of something you can't really define?
(September 24, 2013 at 2:29 pm)Moira Wrote: Like breating life. I have always wondered what the scientific usage of it is. If there is one. When i am referring to a soul, i mean
Body + Life = You
Without a soul, there is only a lifeless body. Sorta like a shell with no life, reaction, movements. Basically it.
What do you people think about it?

I think 'soul' is a handy way to refer to one's consciousness or atleast a part of one's consciousness. The specific function of the brain which relates to self-awareness - awareness of all the inputs, processing and outputs of the brain - that I'll happily call a soul because all the other terms referring to it are too damn long.
Quote:I think 'soul' is a handy way to refer to one's consciousness or atleast a part of one's consciousness.

It may be handy but it comes with so much religious baggage that it becomes useless.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5440 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1660 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What do atheists think of pagans and wiccans Woah0 56 3874 September 18, 2022 at 5:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 995 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4128 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 23806 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If the existence of an enduring soul was proven... Gawdzilla Sama 45 4625 November 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3662 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Are some theists afraid of atheists? Der/die AtheistIn 146 48616 June 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How to argue using bullshit abstract terms I_am_not_mafia 23 6065 March 20, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet