Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Interview! All knowledgeable Atheists needed!
Atheist Interview! All knowledgeable Atheists needed!
Hey everyone I am doing a interview on an Atheist for one of my classes so if you guys could answer these questions the best you could that would be great Smile I am a Christian and I am trying to have a better understanding of what you believe. The longer the answer the better! (These were the questions my teacher gave me to ask).

1. What is prime reality? (What is real)?
2. What is the nature of external reality, that is, the world around us?
3. What is a human being?
4. What happens to a person at death?
5. Why is it possible to know anything at all?
6. How do we know what is right and wrong?
7. What is the meaning of human history?
8. What personal, life orienting core commitments are consistent with this world view? (What do you do for your religion).

Thanks! Smile
RE: Atheist Interview! All knowledgeable Atheists needed!
What class is this?

Religion?

The majority of atheists are not religious so what's that last question doing there?

Edit: sorry, i took out my earlier comment, that was unwarranted. but still, what class?
Who knows?
I don't get you.
A member of the species most chromosomally-similar to myself.
Independent biological functions cease and consciousness ends.
Insofar as we can actually know anything, we can only really 'know' what is reproducible and able to be verified by disinterested third parties, the more the better. .
We decide what is right and wrong.
There is no meaning. History is a series of events which occasionally form connections and influence outcomes, but there is no metanarrative.
8. What personal, life orienting core commitments are consistent with this world view? (What do you do for your religion).
There are none, as far as I am aware.
(September 24, 2013 at 11:10 pm)danidare13 Wrote: Hey everyone I am doing a interview on an Atheist for one of my classes so if you guys could answer these questions the best you could that would be great Smile I am a Christian and I am trying to have a better understanding of what you believe. The longer the answer the better! (These were the questions my teacher gave me to ask).

3. What is a human being?I

Thanks! Smile
Okay, I'll play your game. I do not speak for every atheist, only me
1. Reality is the opposite of Faith. It's the lack of dependence on the imagination.
2. There is no way to answer that. Reality is being learned every day, and always will be. It wasn't answered by a 2,000 year old book.
3. Current evolved state of the genus "homo." And yes, that includes the current level of intelligence. ALL OF IT.
4. Their brain stays alive for a few minutes, then all function stops.
5. Chemical and electrical reactions in your brain record and recover information at a constant state. How? No one knows for sure.
6. We learn through trial and error what is the best way to interact with our local culture. Morals should be learned, not imposed.
7. To give us a record of what we have learned so that we can build upon that knowledge and become wiser. But yeah, a lot of things run in vicious circles. We're only human.
8. I do not have a religion, I learn philosophies, and apply what I see are best to my life. If I don't agree with it, I don't live by it. As I said before, my morals are learned, not imposed.

Again, I speak only for myself. Please do not make a stereotype.
Hope you get a good grade.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
Hello, welcome...

From reading these questions, it sounds like your teacher and class could do with some Biology and Cosmology courses.

Linguistically, reality is all that actually exists in the Universe(s).

Philosophically, reality is what humans perceive it to be, there is no empirical evidence that you are not a figment of my imagination if we want to go down that rabbit hole.

The nature of reality? That it is simply what it is, reality doesn't respond to questions of "why me", it is indifferent, without feeling, and is all that we know to exist.

One of the billions of living organisms in our universe. It is a proud and arrogant specimen. Many humans think that there is a god who cares whether or not it masturbates or prays or gives money to Churches.

Depends on the cause of death. An infant born to a heroin addict mother may suffocate and have irregular heart beat which is not able to sustain life for long.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/hu...rocess.htm

"I think, therefore I am."

If you weren't alive or capable of thinking, you wouldn't be able to think you know anything.

But since we can think, and use logic, we use logic to determine that our thoughts are accurate based on the scientific method.

Place finger over fire, fire burns finger, remove finger from fire, finger does not burn... Do not place finger over fire.

If you disagree with this thought process, you may continue placing your body parts over fire until you think it is a bad idea to do so any longer.

How did cavemen know what is right and wrong?

How do monkeys know what is right and wrong?

It is relative.

Animals do what benefits them and their families the best for survival, unless there is a malfunction.

Humans have evolved into large groups, civilizations, requiring ethics to satisfy the needs of the many over the few.

Right is a consensus. Sticking a knife in my stomach hurts, so we don't do it. I bet if stabbing felt good and didn't result in any bodily harm then it would not be wrong to stab people. But since it infringes on my right to exist, and causes me pain, I consider it "wrong", or more accurately, undesirable.

Right = desirable, least amount of harm/backlash
Wrong = undesirable, potential for large amount of harm/backlash

Human history means the past events that have taken place as concerns the homo-sapiens... this question seems ridiculously vague and rhetorical.

Consistent with what world view?

My world view is based on my knowledge and understanding of the world.

God has never spoken to me, nor anyone I've met. Until then, I'll presume he doesn't have anything to say.
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius
(September 24, 2013 at 11:10 pm)danidare13 Wrote: Hey everyone I am doing a interview on an Atheist for one of my classes so if yo u guys could answer these questions the best you could that would be great Smile I am a Christian and I am trying to have a better understanding of what you believe. The longer the answer the better! (These were the questions my teacher gave me to ask).

1. What is prime reality? (What is real)? It's all illusory, but some illusions have better evidence compared to others.
2. What is the nature of external reality, that is, the world around us? Ask a physics major.
3. What is a human being? The only animal currently understoodto question his existance instead of just living it.
4. What happens to a person at death? Their bowels let go. The funeral home gets a payday.
5. Why is it possible to know anything at all? Because species stand a better chance to thrive over time when they learn. We're still here, so...
6. How do we know what is right and wrong?There are no absolutes, but if it harms us or others, now or in the future, it could be called wrong. Right would be if it benefits us or others, now or in the future.
7. What is the meaning of human history?We can learn from history, but I don't think it has some existential meaning.
8. What personal, life orienting core commitments are consistent with this world view? (What do you do for your religion). Atheism(small 'a', by the way) isn't a religion. There are no agreements between atheists on this point.

Thanks! Smile
(September 24, 2013 at 11:10 pm)danidare13 Wrote: Hey everyone I am doing a interview on an Atheist for one of my classes so if you guys could answer these questions the best you could that would be great Smile I am a Christian and I am trying to have a better understanding of what you believe. The longer the answer the better! (These were the questions my teacher gave me to ask).

What do you mean by prime? Do you mean to ask of what we are most sure? Too vague.

(September 24, 2013 at 11:10 pm)danidare13 Wrote: 2. What is the nature of external reality, that is, the world around us?

It is outside us. It is natural.

(September 24, 2013 at 11:10 pm)danidare13 Wrote: 3. What is a human being?

Featherless biped? Naked ape? Certainly a mammal. Say more.

(September 24, 2013 at 11:10 pm)danidare13 Wrote: 4. What happens to a person at death?

I've heard we die.

(September 24, 2013 at 11:10 pm)danidare13 Wrote: 5. Why is it possible to know anything at all?

Does anyone think they know the answer to this question? Don't you mean "how" is it possible? "Why" just begs the god question too much.

(September 24, 2013 at 11:10 pm)danidare13 Wrote: 6. How do we know what is right and wrong?

Hint: the answer isn't in the big book of jewish folktales.

(September 24, 2013 at 11:10 pm)danidare13 Wrote: 7. What is the meaning of human history?

Oh I suspect we could find more than one meaning.

(September 24, 2013 at 11:10 pm)danidare13 Wrote: 8. What personal, life orienting core commitments are consistent with this world view? (What do you do for your religion).

You do know what "atheist" means, don't you? (We don't have a religion.)

Fuckall. I don't get to play yet again. Shake Fist

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 25, 2013 at 12:39 am)apophenia Wrote:

Fuckall. I don't get to play yet again. Shake Fist

Ah come on. Pway with us Apo. That's "play"! Not pray.
(September 25, 2013 at 12:46 am)whateverist Wrote: Ah come on. Pway with us Apo. That's "play"! Not pray.

I pway you pway we all pway whiwe we pwayyyyyyyyy----ayyyyyy... don't hate the pwayer, hate the gaywam.
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Interview Assignment Student 70 4902 November 21, 2019 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Pope says in interview that there is no hell. downbeatplumb 56 9786 April 16, 2018 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3367 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why did god only make exactly the number of talking animals that he needed? godlessheatheness 41 8538 March 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Help needed. The Last Reformation. I_am_not_mafia 17 5376 July 29, 2016 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What is needed to combat the overwhelming level of belief in God? SteveII 149 20707 December 14, 2015 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Athene
  "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful? Whateverist 325 66986 July 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Interview with a Jovo Fidel_Castronaut 98 10953 June 14, 2015 at 11:38 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  You all convinced me, I'm now an Atheist!!! Drich 141 15069 January 19, 2015 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Much needed advice. I need more atheist friends. dangSHAYNAdang 32 5866 January 6, 2014 at 1:13 am
Last Post: dangSHAYNAdang