Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You all convinced me, I'm now an Atheist!!!
You all convinced me, I'm now an Atheist!!!
You all have sucessfully blurred the lines of belief enough for me to call myself an atheist! You all have convinced me with your endless arguements that despite what 'rule' a given affiliation may have they mean little to nothing compared to what a person 'feels' or claims for himself.

So... I feel like I have spent enough time around atheists to identify myself as one by proxcimity (Not by core belief) But as you all say core belief is just a formality. Who are any of you to say I am not an atheist if i say that I am?

So from now on I wish to be identified as a God loving Atheist!
Hmph

...That is unless you all can conceed that there are indeed rules to being affiliated with a given group, other than a verbal proclaimation stating that one is indeed apart of said group.
RE: You all convinced me, I'm now an Atheist!!!
Did it just get stiflingly intellectually dishonest in here, or is it just Drich?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
What on earth are you talking about?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 12, 2015 at 3:34 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Did it just get stiflingly intellectually dishonest in here, or is it just Drich?

I didn't realize there was a difference.

BTW, couldn't this have been done in the other thread?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I refuse to post in this thread, it would just make me look stupid.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I've used this one before, but it's still pretty appropriate:

this is my 'comming out' thread. Nothing here is up for discussion. I am simply announcing my change in faith.

From now on I want you all to refer to me as a God loving Atheist.
(January 12, 2015 at 3:32 pm)Drich Wrote: ...That is unless you all can conceed that there are indeed rules to being affiliated with a given group, other than a verbal proclaimation stating that one is indeed apart of said group.

There are rules associated with being a part of some groups, but not others. Atheism, definitionally, requires disbelief in god, meaning that despite your breathtakingly inane thread, you aren't one.

Christianity, on the other hand, is defined by belief in the christian god, for which a statement of belief is sufficient for me, at least, to take the claimant at their word. You and so many other christians, enamored with the No True Scotsman fallacy, try to append additional rules onto the religion by way of your own personal interpretation of a book that has thousands of the damn things, never once considering that what you believe isn't the be all and end all of your religion, or even that you'd have to demonstrate that your proposed rules are a part of the author's original intent. Surprisingly, nobody else is required to assume your conclusions just on the basis that you hold them, out of convenience.

Lastly, those rules are very inconsistently applied, too; criminals don't follow the rules and are therefore out of the group, in your mind, but minor sins are just a part of being a human with a sinful nature, and no big deal. So, there's a threshold, which I assume you get to decide yourself, for whatever reason, of which sins get you disassociated from the group for convenience's sake, and which are just things that happen.

In short, the argument is based on special pleading, even if we accept it as true based on your assertions alone.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I'm scared Sad Should... I call someone?

Index of my best videos
Drich,
Do you recall in your feedback thread when I made the suggestion that you stop being obtuse? You took issue with the observation.

This thread isn't doing you any favors.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too Late Fucktards. You Own Him Now. Minimalist 10 1495 October 10, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful? Whateverist 325 66995 July 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  so you're in heaven now what? - coming soon so you're in hell now what v2 dyresand 8 2712 July 13, 2015 at 12:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  So you when to hell now what. dyresand 556 112750 June 25, 2015 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Tonus
  How would you regard good evidence for a God you don't now believe in? Whateverist 32 8688 January 11, 2015 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Atheist Interview! All knowledgeable Atheists needed! danidare13 19 3894 September 25, 2013 at 11:25 am
Last Post: Jackalope
Star 11 Things The Bible Bans,But You Do It Anyway (Hell awaits you all) Big Blue Sky 11 5427 July 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Raven
  Watch: now you see it, now you... Cyberman 15 4646 April 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Former Atheist, (now a Christian) who led to the first Dawkin's Forum site closing. CoxRox 21 6414 October 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: salty