Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Sun - Half Moon?
Full Sun - Half Moon?
Today at 10 a.m. the sun was full in the sky. I could see the whole thing. In the west the moon was at 2:00 in the sky. Nothing was between them, yet the moon was only at half moon. Anyone know why?
There is an ALLLL-knowing, ALLLL-powerful, inVISible being who is everywhere, who created the WHOLE universe, who lives in another dimension called heaven, who is perfect in every way, who was never born and will never die, and who watches you every minute of every day (even when you're squeezing one out on the toilet). There are also unicorns, leprechauns, Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and a giant purple people eater.

JUST BELIEVE IT!
RE: Full Sun - Half Moon?
It appears that way because the moon is at a ~90 degree angle with respect to the earth-sun orientation.
I'd still run out and stockpile bushmaster assault rifles if I were you. Just in case.
(September 25, 2013 at 4:07 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: It appears that way because the moon is at a ~90 degree angle with respect to the earth-sun orientation.

Took a while to work this out in my head, but I got it. Thanks!
There is an ALLLL-knowing, ALLLL-powerful, inVISible being who is everywhere, who created the WHOLE universe, who lives in another dimension called heaven, who is perfect in every way, who was never born and will never die, and who watches you every minute of every day (even when you're squeezing one out on the toilet). There are also unicorns, leprechauns, Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and a giant purple people eater.

JUST BELIEVE IT!
(September 25, 2013 at 4:14 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: I'd still run out and stockpile bushmaster assault rifles if I were you. Just in case.

And tinfoil. Angel
I told my boss I couldn't go to work today because the voices kept telling me to stay home and clean the guns. He didn't argue and told me to take as much time as I needed.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
And you want to know something awesome?!

If the angle between the sun and moon is ~180º, you get a full moon!
If you get exactly 180º, you get a lunar eclipse!

If it's ~0º, you get a new moon.
If it's exactly 0º, you get a solar eclipse!

And that's why people study astronomy... Tongue
(September 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm)pocaracas Wrote: And you want to know something awesome?!

If the angle between the sun and moon is ~180º, you get a full moon!
If you get exactly 180º, you get a lunar eclipse!

If it's ~0º, you get a new moon.
If it's exactly 0º, you get a solar eclipse!

And that's why people study astronomy... Tongue

Well... Eclipses require things to be lined up along the plane of the earth's orbit, you can have a 0/180 degree alignment along the lunar orbital plan and not have things line up correctly. That's why, even though 0/180 alignments occur every lunar orbit, eclipses are less frequent.

Interesting eclipse factoid: Solar eclipses are more common than lunar eclipses. However, as the shadow path is much smaller in area for solar eclipses, a particular location will have a viewable lunar eclipse much, much more frequently (i.e. solar eclipses are viewable only from a typically narrow path on earth, whereas lunar eclipses can be viewed from any location where the moon is visible).
This astronomy stuff is all over my head....Wink Shades
(September 25, 2013 at 7:14 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: This astronomy stuff is all over my head....Wink Shades

I see what you did there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russian lunar lander added to the number of known craters on the moon. Anomalocaris 17 984 August 21, 2023 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moon is part of Mars Anomalocaris 79 6680 June 17, 2019 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Sun Bond, Planet Up..... Brian37 0 328 December 3, 2018 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  6 and a half minutes of "terror"... Brian37 39 1871 November 26, 2018 at 8:47 pm
  Will the sun explode? Foxaèr 35 3073 August 31, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What the Sun looks like from the other planets A Theist 25 3760 July 21, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  Science Channel, Jupiter, and it's moon Io. Brian37 6 1301 July 9, 2018 at 4:29 pm
  SpaceX moon trip 2018 Alex K 25 3746 March 4, 2017 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Mercury transit begins in little over an hour... for those who have the sun up :) Alex K 16 2383 May 10, 2016 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Moon Landing conspiracy lifesagift 117 15518 December 31, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy