Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 and a half minutes of "terror"...
6 and a half minutes of "terror"...
While the orange goon and his feckless party ignore science, real heros are studying our solar system.

New Mars probe is hours away from landing, but the landing is the toughest part of the mission in getting it to survive the atmosphere entry.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018...ars-safely
RE: 6 and a half minutes of "terror"...
Let's hope it's successful.
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 26, 2018 at 12:04 pm)Brian37 Wrote: While the orange goon and his feckless party ignore science, real heros are studying our solar system.

New Mars probe is hours away from landing, but the landing is the toughest part of the mission in getting it to survive the atmosphere entry.

While I’m all in for space exploration, I really don’t think that engineers, technicians and mission planners qualify as ‘heroes’.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 26, 2018 at 12:51 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 26, 2018 at 12:04 pm)Brian37 Wrote: While the orange goon and his feckless party ignore science, real heros are studying our solar system.

While I’m all in for space exploration, I really don’t think that engineers, technicians and mission planners qualify as ‘heroes’.

Boru

Yes they are. There is more to life than simply throwing your body on a grenade. Having humans whom have the ability to problem solve and seek factual answers are just as much heros to humanity. Heros can be those who find answers so that others don't have to struggle as much in the future as prior generations. Their exploration also gives us answers to our own existence.

Not everything is about bloodshed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjNeX55MSww

Live!
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(November 26, 2018 at 1:02 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(November 26, 2018 at 12:51 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: While I’m all in for space exploration, I really don’t think that engineers, technicians and mission planners qualify as ‘heroes’.

Boru

Yes they are. There is more to life than simply throwing your body on a grenade. Having humans whom have the ability to problem solve and seek factual answers are just as much heros to humanity. Heros can be those who find answers so that others don't have to struggle as much in the future as prior generations. Their exploration also gives us answers to our own existence.

Nowt to do with grenades or bloodshed. Every single parent holding down two jobs is a hero.  The teacher who dips into his own pocket to make sure the kids have the necessaries to learn is a hero. People who make a living running INTO burning buildings are heroes.

Can you please tell me what is heroic about sitting in climate controlled lab figuring out the payload specs for a space probe qualifies as heroic?

Boru
The word "hero" has lost all meaning since 9-11.
https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

(November 26, 2018 at 1:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The word "hero" has lost all meaning since 9-11.

In the media, maybe.
(November 26, 2018 at 1:11 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 26, 2018 at 1:02 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Yes they are. There is more to life than simply throwing your body on a grenade. Having humans whom have the ability to problem solve and seek factual answers are just as much heros to humanity. Heros can be those who find answers so that others don't have to struggle as much in the future as prior generations. Their exploration also gives us answers to our own existence.

Nowt to do with grenades or bloodshed. Every single parent holding down two jobs is a hero.  The teacher who dips into his own pocket to make sure the kids have the necessaries to learn is a hero. People who make a living running INTO burning buildings are heroes.

Can you please tell me what is heroic about sitting in climate controlled lab figuring out the payload specs for a space probe qualifies as heroic?

Boru

I really hate the bullshit that every "hero" is always about sweat. Evolution isn't about all brawn. The thinkers, can be those whom use their intellect for ill as well. If our species never questioned anything we'd still be using the pony express.

Again, understanding the universe also helps us understand our planet, and our own existence.

And my mother who was a lifetime teacher also worked in a climate controlled setting.

If it were not for engineers and scientists the Apollo 13 3 would not have made it home.
(November 26, 2018 at 2:27 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(November 26, 2018 at 1:11 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Nowt to do with grenades or bloodshed. Every single parent holding down two jobs is a hero.  The teacher who dips into his own pocket to make sure the kids have the necessaries to learn is a hero. People who make a living running INTO burning buildings are heroes.

Boru

I really hate the bullshit that every "hero" is always about sweat. Evolution isn't about all brawn. The thinkers, can be those whom use their intellect for ill as well. If our species never questioned anything we'd still be using the pony express.

Again, understanding the universe also helps us understand our planet, and our own existence.

And my mother who was a lifetime teacher also worked in a climate controlled setting.

If it were not for engineers and scientists
the Apollo 13 3 would not have made it home.

Heroism is about sacrifice and selflessness, not sweat. And I’m not denigrating people who work  in the space industry - it’s valuable work and I’m glad we have people clever enough to do it.  

But you still haven’t answered my question. What is it about this job that makes the people who do it ‘heroes’ - not clever, not dedicated, not important (I don’t disagree with you about any of that), but ‘heroes’?

Boru

‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The universe in 4 minutes Napoléon 2 981 May 23, 2016 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  ROCKET LAUNCH IN 3 MINUTES! Mudhammam 9 1751 February 8, 2014 at 3:03 am
Last Post: c172
  Full Sun - Half Moon? Jiggerj 30 7026 October 27, 2013 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  What Use Is Half an Eye? Or no eye at all? Minimalist 19 5068 September 12, 2011 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist