Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howdy from the South
Howdy from the South
Hello everyone, I just found the forum and am looking forward to an outlet for discussion. I’m in a bit of a frustrating position in that I live in the rural South and feel smothered by religious fundamentalists. Hard in this area to find like minded individuals without the risk of persecution (that might be a bit strong) or at least alienation.

A bit about myself. I’m an early 30’s father of two, married to a Southern Baptist for 10 years. I was raised Jewish but never really identified with a particular belief in god or any such notion. I call myself Agnostic because I feel myself devoid of any belief. The way I see it Atheism requires the belief that there is no god/supernatural/paranormal etc… without explicit empirical evidence. I’ve just started Dawkins book, The God Delusion, which promises a chapter on this concern so I may change my mind…we’ll see.

Anyhoo I look forward to looking through the forum and talking with you all.
RE: Howdy from the South
Hi again and welcome Big Grin

What south? Sout[/align]h of what?

*south of what?

Darn touch screen and lousy fingers lol
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
North Carolina. Not quite deep south but.....close.
Welcome!

No! Not belief in no gods...an absence of belief. Important distinction.

As a carpetbagging northerner, I understand your alienation concerns. That said, just ignore the subject when people broach it. No need straining relationships with neighbors.

Vent here instead!
Considering it has "north" in it, yeah lol. I hope you like it he and stay.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(October 2, 2013 at 12:10 am)Krazar Wrote: North Carolina. Not quite deep south but.....close.

Me too. The whole state isn't bonkers...just a fat lot of it.
Here! Here, dammit! Lol. It's the cookie I ate today. That does it.
Half Baked

Welcome. I have a few things to say regarding your marriage to a Southern Jesus freak (I've done the same and seems to work after 20 years and going strong) and your definition of 'athesit', but for now you will have to consider my welcome.
Howdy!

Define rural. Like Hanging Dog rural?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Welcome Krazer, enjoy your stay. I'm sure you'll be satisfied in having discussions here.
No creator in the heavens above (I am the lightning)
Rest your weary mind
No demons in the furnace below (I am the frenzy)
I have realized I AM GOD

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello from south florida! My coming out story... FollowingFeynman89 7 782 May 15, 2023 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Kingpin
  Howdy Munch 19 1210 May 2, 2019 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Howdy Icy 23 2164 July 22, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Howdy Imaginaryfriendless 35 4907 July 22, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Living in America's South... mlmooney89 33 2507 June 7, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Howdy from Texas! brian1570 71 7099 September 8, 2015 at 1:22 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Howdy! thehedglin 15 2478 August 30, 2015 at 2:45 pm