Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from the deep south
Hello from the deep south
Hello, everybody. I'm a secular humanist/atheist from the not-so-great state of Mississippi. Being completely isolated in an extremely religious subculture led me to join the forum so I can interact with like-minded people. It can be absolutely maddening living in a place like this, but I certainly have some interesting stories to share with you all regarding my thirty years of living here and the religious insanity I have experienced.

I won't get into the particulars of why and how I came to view Christianity as one of the biggest cons ever perpetrated on the world (perhaps in the converts' corner!), but I will say that I am certain that none of the Abrahamic gods exist and I'm almost certain (a 6 on Dawkins' spectrum) that there is no deity/deities or anything else of the supreme variety.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all better. Big Grin
RE: Hiya
Welcome Smile
RE: Hiya
Welcome!
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
RE: Hello from the deep south
hello there. like your avatar
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Welcome, Strider.

Always happy to find a fellow non-believer living among the religiously indoctrinated.

It gives me hope that we're growing in number
Dying to live, living to die.
Welcome. I know all too well of the horrors of living in the south, and can relate.
(December 2, 2014 at 4:19 pm)Elskidor Wrote: Welcome. I know all too well of the horrors of living in the south, and can relate.

Luckily I don't.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Thanks to all for the welcomes!

(December 2, 2014 at 4:11 pm)abaris Wrote: hello there. like your avatar

Toshiro Mifune is one of my favorite actors. I love old jidai-geki films!

(December 2, 2014 at 4:17 pm)Beccs Wrote: Welcome, Strider.

Always happy to find a fellow non-believer living among the religiously indoctrinated.

It gives me hope that we're growing in number

The indoctrination process here is deeply rooted and ingrained into the culture. Even after I ceased to believe, I still wanted to believe. That sounds crazy, but that's how it was for me for quite a long while.

(December 2, 2014 at 4:19 pm)Elskidor Wrote: Welcome. I know all too well of the horrors of living in the south, and can relate.

There's nothing quite like it is there? It's difficult to explain just how atrocious it is to someone who has not experienced life here.
Yo strider,

I got only 12 months of deep south on my back and I was so ready for some atheist action. Glad to provide some diversion
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Quote:Hello, everybody. I'm a secular humanist/atheist from the not-so-great state of Mississippi.

Ouch. Welcome. You need all the friends you can get.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello from south florida! My coming out story... FollowingFeynman89 7 791 May 15, 2023 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Kingpin
  Living in America's South... mlmooney89 33 2525 June 7, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Howdy from the South Krazar 34 7367 October 7, 2013 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  Atheist from south Florida (USA) Miami_Marlins_fan 9 3548 April 23, 2012 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5998 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3647 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates
  Joe Bloe (Adelaide, South Australia) Joe Bloe 16 4004 November 29, 2009 at 8:49 am
Last Post: fr0d0