Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from south florida! My coming out story...
Hello from south florida! My coming out story...
I didn't know where to begin here, so I figure I shall start with my coming out to my parents story. I was born in south florida in 1989. I was raised catholic, sent to sunday school every sunday of my life until I was a teenager. We mindlessly chanted all the songs and prayers week after week. I went along with it until I was exposed to alternate ways of thinking by my first real girlfriend in highschool. I must admit, even as a child, I was never fully convinced that the religious stories were true.  I agreed because I felt the societal pressure, but I had a lingering feeling something was off. Then I met Cristina. She was openly anti-theist, and I never knew such a thing existed. Then the floodgates opened. I researched evolution, read Dawkin's the selfish gene, and that was it. For about a decade after that, I was dedicated, indeed obsessed, with uncovering the truth. Sam Harris' The End of Faith, Dawkins' "The God Delusion", and Hitchens' "God is Not Great", followed by Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" all made it so incredibly clear to me.. On top of a basic study of evoluton...it all became so clear. I emailed my father a long essay of why I thought myself to be an "agnostic atheist". He replied with an essay of his own. His exposition was so very embarrassing.. he replied with quotes of Darwin speaking of "the impossibility of the human eye" and such, totally taken our of context. He said things like "why would randomness create such beauty as the hundreds of species of butterfly..." I didn't have the energy and time to combat it...simple as it could have been...(Leucochloridium)...

That was many years ago. I can no longer be honest with my friends, because not only are they religious ,they seriously think crystals have auras that can effect the natural world. 

At this point, I am older. I feel....

I am surrounded by gullible morons.
RE: Hello from south florida! My coming out story...
Welcome...you will find other used to be Catholics here. Myself included. Never bought into it and eventually drifted away for good.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Welcome to the forum!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Welcome Woof.

Interesting story. I could have connected more if you were evangelistic lutherans. In the community we're considered catholic lite.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome aboard. You know, you'd feel that way even if they weren't afflicted with religion. They're still floridians.

Gators...Seminoles...or Canes?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Welcome! The Selfish Gene was a part of my journey too.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(May 7, 2023 at 5:14 pm)FollowingFeynman89 Wrote: I didn't know where to begin here, so I figure I shall start with my coming out to my parents story. I was born in south florida in 1989. I was raised catholic, sent to sunday school every sunday of my life until I was a teenager. We mindlessly chanted all the songs and prayers week after week. I went along with it until I was exposed to alternate ways of thinking by my first real girlfriend in highschool. I must admit, even as a child, I was never fully convinced that the religious stories were true.  I agreed because I felt the societal pressure, but I had a lingering feeling something was off. Then I met Cristina. She was openly anti-theist, and I never knew such a thing existed. Then the floodgates opened. I researched evolution, read Dawkin's the selfish gene, and that was it. For about a decade after that, I was dedicated, indeed obsessed, with uncovering the truth. Sam Harris' The End of Faith, Dawkins' "The God Delusion", and Hitchens' "God is Not Great", followed by Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" all made it so incredibly clear to me.. On top of a basic study of evoluton...it all became so clear. I emailed my father a long essay of why I thought myself to be an "agnostic atheist". He replied with an essay of his own. His exposition was so very embarrassing.. he replied with quotes of Darwin speaking of "the impossibility of the human eye" and such, totally taken our of context. He said things like "why would randomness create such beauty as the hundreds of species of butterfly..." I didn't have the energy and time to combat it...simple as it could have been...(Leucochloridium)...

That was many years ago. I can no longer be honest with my friends, because not only are they religious ,they seriously think crystals have auras that can effect the natural world. 

Welcome, welcome! Amazing how creationists never quote the second part of Darwins passage on an evolution for the eye from Origins, which actually turned out to be quite good. The bit where he pointed out that gradual improvements in light sensitive skin can over generations evolve an eye, through compeditive advantage.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(May 7, 2023 at 5:14 pm)FollowingFeynman89 Wrote: I didn't know where to begin here, so I figure I shall start with my coming out to my parents story. I was born in south florida in 1989. I was raised catholic, sent to sunday school every sunday of my life until I was a teenager. We mindlessly chanted all the songs and prayers week after week. I went along with it until I was exposed to alternate ways of thinking by my first real girlfriend in highschool. I must admit, even as a child, I was never fully convinced that the religious stories were true.  I agreed because I felt the societal pressure, but I had a lingering feeling something was off. Then I met Cristina. She was openly anti-theist, and I never knew such a thing existed. Then the floodgates opened. I researched evolution, read Dawkin's the selfish gene, and that was it. For about a decade after that, I was dedicated, indeed obsessed, with uncovering the truth. Sam Harris' The End of Faith, Dawkins' "The God Delusion", and Hitchens' "God is Not Great", followed by Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" all made it so incredibly clear to me.. On top of a basic study of evoluton...it all became so clear. I emailed my father a long essay of why I thought myself to be an "agnostic atheist". He replied with an essay of his own. His exposition was so very embarrassing.. he replied with quotes of Darwin speaking of "the impossibility of the human eye" and such, totally taken our of context. He said things like "why would randomness create such beauty as the hundreds of species of butterfly..." I didn't have the energy and time to combat it...simple as it could have been...(Leucochloridium)...

Welcome!
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Funny and humiliating deconversion story nickbarca 6 595 October 14, 2020 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Story of Dance Dancefortwo 15 1309 September 28, 2018 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Doc's story, take 2 Dr H 15 1486 September 27, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Just joined – here's my story! GeorgiasTelescope 20 4104 June 25, 2017 at 4:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello everybody! just came out as an atheist. JeffY 14 2617 April 24, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello There! Just One More Irreligious Brat who Fell Out of Their Religion MrNoTheism 11 1637 October 31, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  My conversion story A Handmaid 9 1636 September 8, 2016 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Coming out as Atheist ScienceAf 44 4784 August 4, 2016 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  My Story lkomza 12 1231 July 16, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Living in America's South... mlmooney89 33 2511 June 7, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus