Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Definition of faith
Definition of faith
I've had some disputes on here over the word "faith". Now remember that words are just symbols to represent what a person wants to communicate to you, and their value is highly over-rated.

However, here it is, from my dictionary:

faith n. 1. confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing. 2. belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. 3. loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance. 4. often Faith Chistianity the theological virtue defined as secure belief in god and a trusting acceptance of god's will. 5. the body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith 6. a set of principles or belief

So, it can be said that everyone has faith, because everyone has confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing. Never let anyone say you don't have faith, and never claim to not have faith. Because it is the 1st definition that is important, I wouldn't say a virtue, but a necessary thing for survival for sure.

As for definition 4, go get another word, losers.

for it to be definition 1 means that this is what most people mean when they use the word. So the everyday common sense definition is the most common. I'm not sure about definition 2, in that I'm not sure if it's applicable to the word except to snub noses at definition 4, but hey, that's what's in the dictionary, so my logical conclusion is that common sense is more common.
RE: Definition of faith
Belief in a truth, aka without looking at the evidence. I don't need to use faith in any aspect of life.

Also "belief that does not rest on logical proof" should be the bullet between the eyes for religion, no reason to look further. Unfortunately humans are dumb and superstitious.
No creator in the heavens above (I am the lightning)
Rest your weary mind
No demons in the furnace below (I am the frenzy)
I have realized I AM GOD
RE: Definition of faith
Quote:I've had some disputes on here over the word "faith". Now remember that words are just symbols to represent what a person wants to communicate to you, and their value is highly over-rated.

However, here it is, from my dictionary:

faith n. 1. confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing. 2. belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. 3. loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance. 4. often Faith Chistianity the theological virtue defined as secure belief in god and a trusting acceptance of god's will. 5. the body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith 6. a set of principles or belief

So, it can be said that everyone has faith, because everyone has confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing. Never let anyone say you don't have faith, and never claim to not have faith. Because it is the 1st definition that is important, I wouldn't say a virtue, but a necessary thing for survival for sure.

As for definition 4, go get another word, losers.

Well, I certainly have faith that my chair isn't going to collapse under me when I sit, but I think that - for the purposes of religious discussion - definition 4 is the one most applicable.

'Faith' in the every day sense is actually synonymous with real world experience: I trust people whom have demonstrated their trustworthiness, for instance. In another post, I used the analogy of flipping a switch to produce light. That this has happened millions of times is why I have faith that it will continue to do so.

Religious faith, on the other hand is a complete kettle of fish. Religionists may have faith that they will go to Heaven (or Paradise, or Nirvana, or whatever their particular franchise promises them) when they have NO experience that this is the case. I don't envy them that brand of faith.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 13052 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1463 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 34636 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2834 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7827 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8783 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5899 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12658 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Atheism "now world's third biggest 'faith'" madog 23 4675 July 30, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Something to shake the very foundation of your lack of faith yukapuka 306 38030 January 18, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive