Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car help..
Car help..
Started the car up this morning and it sounded and felt really rough, as if it was only firing on 5 cylinders.

We had seriously torrential rain and driving wind here yesterday which I'm wondering may have done something like make the distributor damp or some such thing?

Thoughts Undecided
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Car help..
I think it can be that, try to remove the distrubutor head and dry it. Also check the spark plugs & their connections.

Wow Dar, your car has 6 cylinders? Awesome.
(October 21, 2013 at 4:56 am)LastPoet Wrote: I think it can be that, try to remove the distrubutor head and dry it. Also check the spark plugs & their connections.

I've just gone out and checked and it seems ok now. Perhaps those few miles I drove this morning dried it all out.

(October 21, 2013 at 4:56 am)LastPoet Wrote: Wow Dar, your car has 6 cylinders? Awesome.

Yup, I have a Lexus GS300 which goes like stink and consumes petrol like a teenager consumes vodka Undecided

~My baby with number one son Big Grin

[Image: 216993_2025117625017_4431111_n.jpg]
It probably won't have a distributor, more likely individual coil caps for each sparkplug.
Pull each one individually. When the engine doesn't change note that is the bad one.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Its been raining like crap over at the UK, I wouldn't be surprised that it was some water going where it shouldn't Big Grin
Check the area around the CPU unit, if it's in a contained area, the drain holes can sometimes get blocked, fill up with water and cause problems. I had this when I had a Rover 75.
Thanks all, I'll keep that in mind. Certainly sounding a lot better now though Great
(October 21, 2013 at 8:50 am)Darwinian Wrote: Thanks all, I'll keep that in mind. Certainly sounding a lot better now though Great

Did you start it up and run for only a short time the previous evening?

Many engines don't like that.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
@StuW probably hit the nail on the head if your car's issues are related to the rain. Water and the CPU(ECM) don't mix well. It could also be an exposed wire on the wiring harness and (if you're lucky) maybe even just a bad ground (this is less likely on newer cars I suppose).

Of course, it could be unrelated and then you would need to divulge a lot more info. Color of the smoke from the exhaust? How does it run after it warms up? Does it surge or pulse? Smell anything sweet when it is running rough? Smell oily or overly gassy?
[Image: giphy.gif]
(October 21, 2013 at 9:03 am)Chas Wrote:
(October 21, 2013 at 8:50 am)Darwinian Wrote: Thanks all, I'll keep that in mind. Certainly sounding a lot better now though Great

Did you start it up and run for only a short time the previous evening?

Many engines don't like that.

No, didn't use her at all yesterday.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's see your electric car do THIS... onlinebiker 18 1146 November 11, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Your damn electric car needs to make noise brewer 29 3561 July 16, 2019 at 7:40 am
  Your next car onlinebiker 100 7465 January 30, 2019 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  New (Old) Car Fireball 4 1021 May 15, 2018 at 11:38 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Which is grammatically more right - "red new car" or "new red car" ErGingerbreadMandude 55 6952 January 24, 2018 at 6:48 am
  Anyone drive a plug-in electric car? Jackalope 48 8252 September 21, 2017 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Should I have posted a poll with the car tow thread? And, if so, am I a jerk? Whateverist 24 2909 May 3, 2016 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Am I a jerk for having a car towed which was parked in my driveway? Whateverist 36 5521 April 29, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What was the favorite car you ever owned? abaris 37 4805 September 29, 2015 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Selling My Car rexbeccarox 22 3242 August 7, 2015 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox