Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I a jerk for having a car towed which was parked in my driveway?
Am I a jerk for having a car towed which was parked in my driveway?
I hate tow companies and the extortive rates they charge people to get their cars back.  I've had to get a stolen truck from one of those yards and it cost me $200 twenty years or so ago.

But today at 8:30 a.m. I looked out front to see a car parked squarely in my driveway.  Since I was waiting for the utility company to come out for a service call some time between 8 and noon I ignored it.  At 11 a.m. the appointment was done and still the car was blocking my driveway.  Since all our vehicles are parked behind a locked gate in our side yard that meant I couldn't go anywhere.  

The car looked a little like a neighbor's car across the street.  So I checked with two of them and she said everyone in the multiplex's car was in their off street parking.  It didn't belong to my neighbor directly across the street but I checked to see if he had a guest.  No.  There are a lot of people who work in the warehouse beside mine but no one lives there and they have no off street parking.  No way was I going to go to every office and studio.  

Screw it.  So many times I've put notes on people's cars warning that I would tow if they parked there again and more than once these have been left in my mailbox with taunting replies.  I called the police and told them the situation.  They offered to have it towed.  I agreed.  Then my neighbor across the street came out and offered to ask at a couple of the offices next door.  A lady exiting one of the yoga classes at the next door warehouse offered to go to the local school board's offices down the street to see if anyone there had left the car.  But I declined to call back the police and call off the tow.  By then it was well past 3 hours this clown had me blocked in.

I found something to do in the garden and then was ready to try and leave again in about an hour.  The car was gone.  I don't know if it was towed or not, but it might well have been.  Was I being unreasonable?  I hate being put in that position.
RE: Am I a jerk for having a car towed which was parked in my driveway?
Might have been a stolen car.

You may have done someone a favor.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

No.  Fuck the ignorant shithead.
You warned them and they continued to block you in. Fuck em.

It's a bit different with us because it's a residential area and not a business like yourself, but we have similar problems on our road with people just parking their cars up on the pavement. And yes, they do already have ample driveways for parking spaces. They block the walkway for pedestrians and often partially block peoples' driveways. It's a fucking nuisance, these people have absolutely no consideration for anyone else.

I think you did the right thing.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

That's two votes for "good job/fuck em'" to zero votes for "I'm an asshole". Okay, I guess I'm absolved. Good job guys.
Absolutely not. There is little reason NOT to have a car towed that is blocking a driveway.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
You put more effort into it than I would have. I consider you jerk free!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Yeah. You went way above and beyond.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I might have keyed it a little too . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Could've used a poll here. A tragic oversight.

On the other hand, if you park in someone's driveway, you had better know your car could be towed. If you are ignorant of that possibility, then you deserve to have it towed in the first place.

I'd imagine if they themselves finished whatever business they were tending to, and just happened to move the car before the tow came, they probably think they've found a parking spot. If so, I'd call the tow truck myself immediately next time. If this is a recurring event, it might be worthwhile to eschew the notes all together and place one of these at the end of your driveway.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 793 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Which famous clone would you adopt? Fake Messiah 10 950 January 24, 2023 at 7:49 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Which TV game show would you win? Fake Messiah 6 846 January 18, 2023 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Which is worse? Foxaèr 13 625 February 23, 2022 at 8:59 am
Last Post: brewer
  Which one is the correct phrase? brewer 20 1913 September 21, 2021 at 7:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Which ancient thread of mine should I necro? Foxaèr 11 602 August 25, 2021 at 7:15 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Let's see your electric car do THIS... onlinebiker 18 1155 November 11, 2020 at 9:11 am
  Having, collecting and hoarding onlinebiker 67 3496 April 13, 2020 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Which console zo buy a 12-year-old kid? franzis 20 2432 February 23, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Your damn electric car needs to make noise brewer 29 3566 July 16, 2019 at 7:40 am