Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Scenarios
Four Scenarios
Scenario One: I am an atheist. I am in the mall and I see an elderly woman drop a $10 bill on the ground. I pick up the bill and return it to the woman who dropped it; why?

Scenario Two: I am a Christian. I am in the mall and I see a young man drop a $10 bill on the ground. I pick up the bill, and instead of returning it to the man who dropped it, I slip it into my pocket; why?

Scenario Three: I am a Christian. A woman cuts me off in traffic. Frustrated, I honk my horn for a long while and I yell out some choice words; why?

Scenario Four: I am an atheist. A man cuts me off in traffic. Frustrated, I grip the wheel, muster a smile, and carry on with my journey without angst; why?

Theists and atheists are welcome to contribute. Feel free to respond to any or all scenarios as you are lead. I’m still working out some details of the “moral dilemma“ and I would appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

fff
RE: Four Scenarios
Scenario One: Christians were nearby and I like that smug feeling that goes with being good without god.

Scenario Two: I prayed for $10 and god meant me to find it.

Scenario Three: Because I'm feeling horny.

Scenario Four: He is bigger than me.

Smile
The PURPOSE of life is to replicate our DNA ................. (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living ... (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind ..... (from observation)
1: Because it's the right thing to do, and as an upstanding member of society I returned the woman's money.

2: I was just trying to witness to the man and when I told him he was going to burn in hell for not accepting Jesus as his saviour he told me to "Get bent." so his money is an award from god.

3: That dirty heathen should have known better than to cut me off, didn't she see my Jesus fish?

4: Life happens, I've cut people off before while late to work so hey maybe he was in a hurry. Let him have a pass.
Really, FFF? Why are the Christians the bad guys in the only Christian scenarios you proposed?

I would never steal money, but I usually yell choice words at bad drivers (in a chickenshit way since my car windows are usually closed). What on earth does religion or lack of it have to do with these scenarios?
(October 24, 2013 at 8:18 pm)Zazzy Wrote: Really, FFF? Why are the Christians the bad guys in the only Christian scenarios you proposed?

I would never steal money, but I usually yell choice words at bad drivers (in a chickenshit way since my car windows are usually closed). What on earth does religion or lack of it have to do with these scenarios?
I thought it was a fun creative writing exercise!

Although it is a valid point.
(October 24, 2013 at 8:18 pm)Zazzy Wrote: Really, FFF? Why are the Christians the bad guys in the only Christian scenarios you proposed?

Good questions. @Zazzy, this is an exercise, and your input is well considered. Thank you Smile
Scenario one has happened to me before, both ways. That's why. I've lost money and had someone tap me on the shoulder, 'you dropped this' and at the time, that lousy $20 would've SUCKED to lose, which makes it easier to remember that in the future (shit, maybe this is the only $5.00 she's got for milk for the week). Been there, done that. And maybe it's also because the look on that person's face gives me that chemical something or other feeling in my brain or summat that I've heard mention of in at least one other thread.

As to 2 and 3, I live in a place that's almost entirely Latter Day Saints, and let me tell you, of all the religions I'm personally familiar with, these guys are on the tightest leash. Joseph Smith hooked these peeps and hooked them hard. Their way of life is entirely different from any other Christians that I've met, and I've known quite a few (varying degrees). So to these two, I say.... lately I'm unsure because I'm used to Mormons. In public the only loss of composure actions I ever see are condescension and adequately masked disgust or dismay from them, never a 'loss of temper' such as horn honks and almost profanities (I say almost because I've heard many a mormon get frustrated and ...."Gosh, this shi... stupid thing just is not working at all and I can't get why...").

And onto 4.... I for one have awful road rage, but I also try to stay away from other drivers because I learned quickly that they're all fucking idiots.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
Scenario 5: I hum You Can't Always Get What You Want by the Rolling Stones as my wife ball punches me with brass knucks. Pat Robertson is on in the background and I think to myself 'listenening to this asshat is real pain' just as I hear
my grapes being juiced.

Dude...WTF is this???
(October 24, 2013 at 9:08 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Scenario 5: I hum You Can't Always Get What You Want by the Rolling Stones as my wife ball punches me with brass knucks. Pat Robertson is on in the background and I think to myself 'listenening to this asshat is real pain' just as I hear
my grapes being juiced.

Dude...WTF is this???
This is a questionnaire.
(October 24, 2013 at 9:52 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote:
(October 24, 2013 at 9:08 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Scenario 5: I hum You Can't Always Get What You Want by the Rolling Stones as my wife ball punches me with brass knucks. Pat Robertson is on in the background and I think to myself 'listenening to this asshat is real pain' just as I hear
my grapes being juiced.

Dude...WTF is this???
This is a questionnaire.
I'll just take your word for it, then.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Various scenarios: what would you do? robvalue 33 4062 March 7, 2015 at 8:55 am
Last Post: robvalue
  When do you think the Four Gospels were written? Xavier 21 6566 December 31, 2011 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist