Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When do you think the Four Gospels were written?
When do you think the Four Gospels were written?
I've heard them estimated to 60-70AD but is this too early?
When do you think they were written?
I havn't really read about the historicity of them.
RE: When do you think the Four Gospels were written?
Probably.

More to the point is when were they last re-written?
I tend to agree Xavier ...far too early...

Check out the "Jesus Never Existed" site below
http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/matthew.htm

I think Humphries "over eggs" his arguments slightly but it is an excellent reference source.
Check out which audience he says each of the Gospels was written for .

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

'When do you think the Four Gospels were written?'

around 40-150ad, by people who new someone who knew jesus and kept the story locked up for 20 years, then that person told the story to someone else blah blah blah.

Summary: It's 4th hand info at best and all of the gospels say something contradictary, therefore it is all written brainfart.
(December 30, 2011 at 3:43 pm)Xavier Wrote: I've heard them estimated to 60-70AD but is this too early?

Afaik Marcus was first written 60-70AD. Another one, don't recall which, about a century later. And the last 2 well into the 3rd century.
I.o.w. – since the average life span was 40/45 – none was written by an eyewitness. So all 4 were warmed over hearsay. And it's anybody's guess how often it was retold, and retold again before the scribents actually wrote 'm down. None of which can ever have been actual disciples/apostles.

Can it be any more vague, unconnected, and unreliable?
Quote:none was written by an eyewitness.

None even claim to be written by witnesses...leaving aside for the moment the notorious unreliability of eye witness testimony in the first place.

Not once does one of the writers slip up and say "WE did this" or "WE did that."

Even more to the point, it is not until the second century that Greco-Roman writers start to take notice of their doctrines.
(December 30, 2011 at 3:43 pm)Xavier Wrote: I've heard them estimated to 60-70AD but is this too early?

I really have no idea. But I know when they were received as being the "true word of the lord".
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(December 30, 2011 at 3:43 pm)Xavier Wrote: When do you think they were written?

Somewhere between "I don't give a shit" and "O fuck, we're screwed!"
[Image: Evolution.png]

Well, from what I've heard, remarks about the destruction of the Temple places the origin of Mark around 70 AD. Matthew and Luke were most likely based on Mark, so therefore, they would have been written afterward; allegedly, John was written later still.

The dates I've heard of: 70-110 AD.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(December 30, 2011 at 5:28 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote:

I really have no idea. But I know when they were received as being the "true word of the lord".

The Council of Nicaea. 325 AD. The first congregation of the global Xtian crime syndicate – or conspiracy, if you prefer – henceforth known as 'The Church'.
Uncannily like the Wannsee conference, or the mob's Appalachian BBQ parties.

But the true word of God wasn't exactly cut in stone because within a half century it already got amended when the dual deus, God the Father and Jesus the Son, was expanded to include the holy ghost in the 'Trinity'.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Buddhism is pro intellectualism? Woah0 5 646 September 6, 2022 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4893 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1718 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1406 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Who told you that you were naked? Um nobody. Fake Messiah 7 783 March 21, 2019 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2746 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Mohammad in the Torah and Gospels. Mystic 3 1030 June 18, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Dead people testify! We were wrong! ignoramus 12 1706 June 11, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Just how stupid were the ancient Israelites? The Valkyrie 115 14602 June 1, 2018 at 5:39 am
Last Post: Joods
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6088 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay